Author Topic: Acronyms and other memory prickers  (Read 3576 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Acronyms and other memory prickers
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 02:50:41 PM »
You motorcycle guys might remember the following acronyms when taking the class M license exam.

SIPDE -- Scan Identify Predict Decide Execute

FINE-C  -- Fuel, Ignition, Neutral, Engine (kill switch off), Clutch  (or on older bikes also include Choke)

Offline muddy

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 08:46:15 PM »
Suck Squeeze Bang Blow.... Four stroke engine.

15 is too young 36 too old 24 just right...... inline 6 firing order

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 11:43:56 AM »
I use this one alot these days.

Red sky at morning - sailors take warning.
Red sky at night - sailors delight.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 01:45:35 PM »
We have those stickers on mirrors and top corner of the windshield on many of our trucks. Never hurts to follow that. You can be safe for yrs and all it takes is one incident and you aren't safe any more.
Rich

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2022, 08:11:57 AM »
When I worked in the US driving truck , our logbook pages had the letters GOAL in pale writing imposed into the background of where we wrote all the info for our day  , it stood for “ get out and look” if you weren’t sure of anything, still stays with me to today over 20 years later ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great advice. i operate a lot of equipment that is large with poor visibility or plain old, obstructed views. i wish i could count the times i have gotten out for a look around once twice or more times. as i get older, reaction time, vision. night vison and sore joints all compound my fears. i don't mind fixing things that break but i hate fixing things i needlessly broke or damaged.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2022, 02:06:13 PM »

I seem to remember hearing that one, but I no longer remember what is referenced?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2022, 12:45:54 PM »

I seem to remember hearing that one, but I no longer remember what is referenced?

It's what seamen used to forecast the days weather. A bright red sunset meant the next day would be calm, but a bright red sunrise meant stormy weather. I think.   :34:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2022, 12:52:07 PM »
A quick way to calculate the temp in Fahrenheit if you're given the Celsius figure: Times two, minus 10%, add 32. Helped immensely in chem class.

Convert 100 deg C: Times 2 (makes 200), minus 10% (which is 20, making 180) then add 32 (makes 212).

Now I just need to learn a little diddy going the other way. When visiting Europe people found out I was from Arizona, and they asked how hot it got. I said 105 wasn't unusual. They gasped. Then I realized they thought I meant 105 deg C.  :-\

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2022, 08:39:05 PM »
Every time I fire up a liquid fuel Coleman stove or lantern I always forget how to adjust the lighter stem. (That pesky little L-shaped wire on top of the tank). You start the stove with it in one position, then rotate it slowly 180 deg to the other position for operation). Finally came up with a little diddy to remember:

"Start up to run down"

Happy camping!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2023, 01:15:25 PM »
Was watching a marine special on TV, and they talked about "port" and "starboard". I wondered out loud what they meant, and the Mrs. said she always remembered "turning to port" as "meaning turning left", as both "port" and "left" had 4 letters. I learned something new!   :great:

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2023, 01:40:15 PM »
Was watching a marine special on TV, and they talked about "port" and "starboard". I wondered out loud what they meant, and the Mrs. said she always remembered "turning to port" as "meaning turning left", as both "port" and "left" had 4 letters. I learned something new!   :great:
I’ve always remembered that the same way , didn’t know whether it was a “thing” or was just  me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online geneg

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2023, 05:30:21 PM »
Learned trig functions as Oscar Had A Heap Of Apples

sine        Opposite Hypotenuse
cosine     Ajacent  Hypotenuse
tangent   Opposite Ajacent

GMC / Chevy  straight 6 firing order:  153624

15 is too young
36 is too old
24 is just right       
actually, just the rhythm of the numbers stuck in my head forever, but someone once told me the other amusing reminder

Metric volume conversion (from my first new car)  Buick V6

231 cubic inches
3.8 liters

also equals 1 gallon

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2023, 06:58:22 PM »
Kinda silly, but I come across alot of young folks who don't know military time when watching war movies.

Up to 1200, just read it as it's written. That's the AM time.
Above 1200, subtract twelve from the first two whole digits, and that's the PM time.
With a little practice it becomes almost second nature. (Admission: I served in the military, and rarely used military time!)

Zero hour is midnite, 1200 is noon. 
0930 is 9:30 AM, 1145 is 11:45 AM.
1630 is 4:30 PM, 2020 is 8:20 PM.

If anyone has a simpler way, post it up.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2023, 07:16:08 PM »
Metric volume conversion (from my first new car)  Buick V6

231 cubic inches
3.8 liters

also equals 1 gallon

Good one! I still hate modern engines designation in "liters". Just can't dislodge the cubic inches nomenclature from my memory.

My dad had a 1961 Harley panhead, and I remember him always describing it to people he talked to as owning a 74. I finally asked him - you didn't casually bother my dad with dumb questions - why he said his motorcycle was a 74 when I knew it was a 1961. He said 74 was the engine capacity, not the year. So, motorcycles were measured in cc's, cars were cubic inches. Until this liter thing took over.
My van is a 4.3L V6. Supposed to be a Chevy 350 V-8 with the front two cylinders lopped off. So I figured 350 divided by 8 was 43.75 CI per cylinder. Subtract two of those off of the V-8 leaves 262.5 cubes. So now I don't think of the van engine size in liters unless I'm ordering stupid parts, as the counter help won't get 262 CI.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 07:17:48 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2023, 07:20:26 PM »
OK, just discovered this over at Wiki. For those who have ALOT of time!   :-\

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mnemonics