Author Topic: Pawnie finds: 8-30-22  (Read 650 times)

Offline bonneyman

Pawnie finds: 8-30-22
« on: August 31, 2022, 04:29:06 PM »
Picked up another of those Chicago Specialties 5/16" hex screw starters, and a sticking Mountain double flex head ratcheting wrench.
Is a 13x15 mm size, the larger end was definitely having issues. Paid $9 and change, took a chance. When working on it I noticed a sliver of metal coming out of the end while spinning it. It was the internal snap ring! managed to get it out, but it was unuseable. So I took a stab at fashioning another snap-ring out of a piece of suitable sized SS wire. Worst came to worse the 13mm end will still operate. Got it together, and it works like a dream! Not what I would put a whole lot of torque on, but as long as it is - with a recessed side and flex heads - could prove very handy. Simple frankenstein ratchet design.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 04:35:49 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Pawnie finds: 8-30-22
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 04:32:37 PM »
I've been grabbing any backflow preventers I find. Useful for "repairing" damaged garden hose brass ends. So frustrating to try and use a damaged garden hose end fitting that's been damaged - really hard to get it perfectly rounded. And hate throwing out any hoses.

Also, I have a hornet problem with my evap cooler. They like to make their nests inside, and it makes it quite interesting when opening it up to service it in the spring. Found out they might be accessing the shut-down cooler though the 3/4" drain hole in the bottom. Slapped on a backflow preventer, and presto! Water can still drain out if the unit over fills but wasps can't get it. And I can still screw a hose on the end to drain the water into the garden. Nice little gadget!