Author Topic: Tools / brands you just can't pass up  (Read 2474 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Tools / brands you just can't pass up
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 04:31:46 PM »
Another tool I don't pass up is those cheap US made back saws with the black plastic handles, made by great neck I think.
They're only around $10 new but I can't count how many I've found gently used for just a few dollars , same goes for the yellow plastic miter boxes that go with them.
They make great beaters, I don't have to worry about messing up my good saws or cutting into the plastic miter box.

I'm not picky when it comes to American made 1/4 ratchets either,  even if so many roundheads are extremely similar.
As long as it's in decent enough condition and the price is right I'll buy it, I don't really care if I already have one either.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 04:33:45 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2022, 03:56:58 PM »
Hammers need to feel good first, then looks, then I buy :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 05:42:06 PM »
Hammers need to feel good first, then looks, then I buy :))
That's why I don't like anything but wood that I can shape to my liking.

I gave this hammer to my buddy yesterday,  but since it's maybe 40 years old he thought that somehow makes it special and he's going to collect it  ???

Okay whatever it's now his to do with as he pleases.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2022, 09:44:34 PM »
I'm a sucker for older Mac tools. Not sure why but a lot of times I can't pass them up.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline 34Ply

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2022, 05:40:04 PM »
I was a carpenter for 45 yrs. Tried a lot of hammers when I was young but settled quick on Estwing. I'm surprised they weren't mentioned in the hammer discussion.  :smiley_confused1:

Offline slip knot

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2022, 08:26:46 PM »
I never cared for the Estwing grips, dont know why. probably would have been ok with the stacked leather grips but they were too spendy for me. I did use a big estwing framer when wrecking forms off. like having a mini sledge.  :lol_hitting:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2022, 04:38:22 PM »
 I don't like all steel hammers or rubber grips on my hammers, they blister my hands and I do not like wearing gloves when I'm using a hammer because it's harder to grab nails and stuff with gloves on.

When it comes to claw hammers my preference is for Vaughan & Bushnell rip claws anyways, I'm not doubting the reputation or quality of Estwing but I'm a Vaughan & Bushnell guy.

That's just my personal preference,  I didn't like the rubber grip on that V&B I rescued a few weeks ago either because I just don't like rubber grips no matter who made it.
That's why I don't use my grandfathers fiberglass handle PLUMB framer either.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 04:57:50 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn