Author Topic: Tools / brands you just can't pass up  (Read 2471 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Tools / brands you just can't pass up
« on: August 05, 2022, 05:54:02 PM »
I don't like all steel hammers and don't like rubber grips on my hammers either, but I cannot pass up any Vaughan & Bushnell hammer especially a ribbed claw Craftsman variant so I had to grab this for $1.50.

The guy told me $1.50 because he thought it was homemade  ???
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

Re: Tools / brands you just can't pass up
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 08:44:35 PM »
Cant pass up, Bemis &Call,  Walden Worcester,  New Britain,  Goodell-Pratt, Millers Falls, S&K, to name a few.   Hammers,,,, Proto, old Craftsman, Athearn or any specialty hammer of the blacksmithing persuasion.  Not partial to rubber or foam grips on hammers, or pliers, or ratchets, and have none.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 09:00:41 PM »
Cant pass up, Bemis &Call,  Walden Worcester,  New Britain,  Goodell-Pratt, Millers Falls, S&K, to name a few.   Hammers,,,, Proto, old Craftsman, Athearn or any specialty hammer of the blacksmithing persuasion.  Not partial to rubber or foam grips on hammers, or pliers, or ratchets, and have none.
Athena had good hammers.

Theres a lot of stuff out there I don't pass up, but not much I'll buy duplicates of and such like I will Vaughan hammers whether Craftsman branded or standard Vaughan.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 09:17:59 PM »
Fiberglass handled Plumb carpenters hammers are the one item that comes home with me no matter the price. The older 70s era Williams tools get my attention as well.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 09:25:00 PM »
Quality wood handle screwdrivers, Kraeuter and Diamond pliers, vintage Nicholson files, and Herbrand sockets -- I never leave them on the yard sale tables.

Offline nelstomlinson

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 01:22:42 AM »
Bonney, New Britain, Proto, SK, Williams... they're usually cheap enough to come home with me, whether I need'em or not. Snap On usually isn't that cheap. Old USA-made Mac is often cheap enough to follow me home.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 03:33:09 AM »
Fiberglass handled Plumb carpenters hammers are the one item that comes home with me no matter the price. The older 70s era Williams tools get my attention as well.
The 70's-80's cooper era black and red handles ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 06:21:57 PM »
Channellock, Klein, WB padlocks (Wilson Bohannan)

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 07:36:53 PM »
Klein, Fleet, Wright, Williams, Plomb, Challenger, Bonney... pretty much anything US made and very reasonably priced gets a lift home.
boop/bop/beep

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 08:13:50 PM »
These here

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 08:48:30 PM »
Let's face it guys, we're a dying breed. With a few exceptions such as Muddy, and hickory n steel (and a few others), vintage US made tools just aren't appreciated by the younger generations. Sad to see it, but we're in the minority.

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 09:55:59 PM »
I don't see Kraeuter out in the wild.  I have only been looking for the needlenose pliers that my father has, for decades.  I found some brand that was comparable in size/shape years back and bought that pair.  I've seen some similar on Ebay (don't understand their numbering system, think it has something to do with year of manufacture), but most have been buggered up.
Recently bid, low on some Kobalt flare nut wrenches from back in the day when I bought mine.  Made by JH Williams and when I wrenched, with my hand on the center, they were mistaken for Snap on.  Outbid, but at this point I have more tools, then time.  (basically acquiring stuff to pass on)

At this point I have little time to tool shop, heck I am still in the middle of a move that has been 2 years on, because of estate/company issues.  Before that, with family and bosses medical, it has been almost 5 years of pretty much staying not at home.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 04:24:15 AM »
Knipex, Channel lock, Nupla, Snap on, any hammer that feels good, PowrKraft, Plomb

My list isn't fair because most of what I buy is for resale but  certainly have a thing for hammers, PowrKraft and Knipex

Offline john k

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 09:02:52 AM »
Now that I am more awake, realize I didnt mention Bonney, Williams, or Kraeuter.  Kraeuter wrenches as well as pliers cutters.
 Got my set of Proto yellow handled screwdrivers, as well as the set of ACE screwdrivers.  Perfect handle tools, mainly screwdrivers, getting a nice usable set.    Always look for Diamalloy pliers, and Wizard tools (Western Auto].  The list goes on, if it looks older it gets pickedup and examined.  Find I am getting pickier as to condition.  Hand saws, usually Disston, or any older saws with a nice etch.  Yeah I'm in trouble.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 04:26:47 PM »
These here
I've always thought those were classy looking even if they are fiberglass handles which I don't personally like.

I also greatly prefer rip claws over curved claws, but if it's not something I actually need I will buy a hammer just because it's good looking.
Always lookin' to learn