Author Topic: Electronic Payment Ramblings  (Read 1816 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Electronic Payment Ramblings
« on: October 16, 2022, 03:33:50 PM »
Preface: I saw a set of wrenches on the classifieds on ch3 this morning and decided they were something I'd buy, so I messaged the seller stating I'd like to buy them (more than $500) and asking how would he like to be paid since he hadn't stated a preference. I suggested a USPS money order or paypal. He promptly replied he'd only accept zelle or venmo. I replied I had neither of those services and restated I'd prefer a money order because I feel they offer the convenience of cash combined with a low fee and reasonable security. No dice. I wished him good luck with the sale and moved on with my life.

I see people wanting to use zelle and venmo more and more often these days, and I flat out refuse to use either of them. In the last 3 years, I've had five fraudulent transactions through my US Bank acct that showed up as transactions through these services. They seem like scam central to me and way too easy to be commandeered by unsavory characters. Having to change card and account numbers after these scam charges is a hassle I'd like to avoid as much as possible.

Paypal is a touchy subject these days, and I feel myself trying to distance myself from using them at all after their woke policies and attacks on anything related to firearms have come out. I have had funds frozen in there for no reason at all several times after ebay and private sales. That said, their custom service, resolution center, and convenience still appeal to me.

In the past few years, I have transitioned to considering USPS money orders to be the best option for private party payments over say $200. The only drawback I see is the few minutes it takes to purchase one. After that, it's a good as cash or a check that can't be stop paymented. Am I missing something?

In a perfect world we could go back to the days past of just mailing a check (as a small business, I receive 90% of payments for service by check without issue), but I understand that's not going to happen. I stand by my decision to avoid zelle or venmo, and wish payment middle-man services could be cut out entirely (I hate companies inserting themselves and skimming a fee). I feel we've gone full circle from the early days of credit cards when there were 50 different companies and a merchant may only take a select one, to near universal acceptance, now back to 50 different payment services with limited use. And I'm not even going to mention crypto. I guess this is an age old problem. /rant

TL;DR What do you use for E-Payments?

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
Re: Electronic Payment Ramblings
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 04:10:52 PM »
I like a usps money order when I buy stuff.

Near as I can tell the stuff I buy off ebay goes through the paypal but I don't care that much. With them now charging sales tax I don't buy near as much off there. Just going to the seller site and buying direct doesn't really give the "protection" of ebay but that hasn't stopped me . Can always go to the card and stop payment.
Rich

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 05:37:58 PM »
For personal stuff, I use etransfers a lot.  For my small business I use Square as my payment processor.

But there are things to consider between whether you're a buyer or seller or whether the transaction is a face to face delivery of the goods.  As a (personal) seller, I'll take Paypal but prefer cash or etransfer.  Paypal seems to offer more protection to the buyer than the seller but I haven't had any issues through the years.  Knock wood.  Most of what I sell are car parts or collectibles and nothing that would be considered questionable by the woke crowd.

As a buyer of an item that I have to trust will be shipped to me and arrive in the described condition, I view Paypal as providing the most protection.  Sending a cheque or money order offers no protection once cashed.  I won't use the "Family and Friends" in Paypal unless I know and trust the seller otherwise you give up most of the protections. 

Venmo and zelle do seem to be the domain of scammers and fraudsters.  In some cases their sentence phrasing and other things can tip off that they're not who they seem but I don't think I will use either payment method any time soon.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 06:22:39 PM »
Yep postal money orders  are all I'll do
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 07:44:52 PM »
I thinks it a generational thing. We've gotten cynical about things as we get older. I've got some young guys that work for me. They do all sorts of side gig work and its all digital. They have several "payment options" and dont even want to mess with cash or checks. Everything is hands off for them. I've observed them buying and selling stuff to each other. One sends the money over his phone, the others phone dings he looks and has the money in his account. Their done. its that fast. BUT they haven't had an account cleaned out yet either. I'm betting once that happens they will be a bit more picky about their cash apps

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 08:30:58 PM »
600 bucks for a huge, minty set of so wrenches seemed a little fishy to me. i wonder if the deal was real.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline gtermini

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 10:09:46 PM »
600 bucks for a huge, minty set of so wrenches seemed a little fishy to me. i wonder if the deal was real.

What bothered me on that was there a suggested similar thread on the bottom of the page with the exact same pictures from a listing in May or so. I was going to ask for a time stamped picture before proceeding, but he didn't want to take my money. 22k post count seems legitimate, but who knows. Marked as sold now, so somebody else can play the game.

Offline gtermini

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 10:17:11 PM »
I thinks it a generational thing. We've gotten cynical about things as we get older. I've got some young guys that work for me. They do all sorts of side gig work and its all digital. They have several "payment options" and dont even want to mess with cash or checks. Everything is hands off for them. I've observed them buying and selling stuff to each other. One sends the money over his phone, the others phone dings he looks and has the money in his account. Their done. its that fast. BUT they haven't had an account cleaned out yet either. I'm betting once that happens they will be a bit more picky about their cash apps

I'm just a grumpy millennial, so it isn't necessarily completely age related. I just hate how there's getting to be so many non-compatible options now, and security with them seems to continue to go down.

I spent an a half hour on the phone with the bank last year to get a $9500 charge in Albuquerque reversed, and the gal on the phone didn't seem to think it was as big of a deal as I did. She just pointed out how easily it was resolved but they weren't doing anything special to protect my account in the future. I imagine wire fraud is a multi-trillion dollar industry in this day and age.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 12:10:46 AM »
All in person transactions are cash only.  I state this clearly on my ads when I'm selling on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. 

I have two credit cards that get paid off every month.  My main one I use around town.  My other one is registered with eBay and Amazon.  My wife has PayPal, though she doesn't use it often, so that's always an option as well.

SK, I think this guy's login has been compromised.  I reported the post with the following note.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, especially when I have no evidence, but this post seems more than a little fishy.  This guy hasn't posted since last year...can't remember his name at the moment,  but for years two things have been true: he lived in the Detroit, MI area, and the last thing he'd own, let alone be selling, is Snap On wrenches like this.  I strongly suspect his log-on has been compromised.  Someone I know mentioned he attempted to buy the wrenches and the seller would take only Venmo or zelle.  This doesn't sound right at all.
boop/bop/beep

Online fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 11:15:44 AM »
Looking4, well written and good catch

Offline gtermini

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »
That's some ace detective work Looking4!

EDIT: Appears you were correct. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/warning-new-scam.505153/

His other for sale posts from yesterday have been removed. I guess I'm lucky I didn't get burned, but I feel for the guy that did. This just cements my rejection of zelle and venmo further.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 11:49:29 AM by gtermini »

• Ran when parked
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 12:14:29 PM »
That's some ace detective work Looking4!

EDIT: Appears you were correct. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/warning-new-scam.505153/

His other for sale posts from yesterday have been removed. I guess I'm lucky I didn't get burned, but I feel for the guy that did. This just cements my rejection of zelle and venmo further.

Good job on your part for being suspicious, Grayson. 

Yeah, this guy Bill, whose login was hacked, is a shade tree mechanic who posted a lot about keeping an old Chevy Astro van running, takes classes at the local community college in welding, auto mechanics etc.  Seems like a nice guy.  I highly doubt he'll move outside of Detroit, and actually wonder if he may have passed away since he's around seventy and hasn't posted since last December, which is very unlike him. 
boop/bop/beep

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2022, 09:09:13 PM »
I may have found a work around, to log in and close my Paypal account, as I can't currently even log in.  They want my cell phone number, but I don't have one.  I have a work phone, not mine. (and a home phone)

Zelle and Venmo are not even offered by my Credit union.  I tried to buy a screwdriver over there a while ago, and couldn't because of no electronic payment options.
Back in late 95 or early 1996, I bought my first item from this site my brother said would not last, it was called Ebay.  For a couple of decades I bought off of them, using postal money orders.   Then at some point they required Paypal to "prevent fraud"; I had only had one instance with a postal money order as the sellers employee quit and didn't record they had received the payment.  When the postal inspector, shown them they had, it was quickly resolved.
Then I found/lost on a piece of equipment for the restaurant, then won the next for a little bit cheaper, I had to "link a bank account", yet they wouldn't take the money from the account, they required a credit card.  (call me confused by that)

Know too many cops that I have heard too many horror stories from.  Postal money orders are a good thing.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2022, 09:32:11 PM »
All in person transactions are cash only.  I state this clearly on my ads when I'm selling on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. 

I have two credit cards that get paid off every month.  My main one I use around town.  My other one is registered with eBay and Amazon.  My wife has PayPal, though she doesn't use it often, so that's always an option as well.

SK, I think this guy's login has been compromised.  I reported the post with the following note.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, especially when I have no evidence, but this post seems more than a little fishy.  This guy hasn't posted since last year...can't remember his name at the moment,  but for years two things have been true: he lived in the Detroit, MI area, and the last thing he'd own, let alone be selling, is Snap On wrenches like this.  I strongly suspect his log-on has been compromised.  Someone I know mentioned he attempted to buy the wrenches and the seller would take only Venmo or zelle.  This doesn't sound right at all.

did you make sure and report to them that the castoffs from the gazette picked up on the scam before his guys?  :))
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

• Ran when parked
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2022, 10:36:37 PM »

did you make sure and report to them that the castoffs from the gazette picked up on the scam before his guys?  :))

:))

Nah, didn't want to stir up any trouble.   ;)
boop/bop/beep

Offline gtermini

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2022, 11:26:00 AM »

:hee20hee20hee:

Offline gtermini

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2022, 11:28:36 AM »
I may have found a work around, to log in and close my Paypal account, as I can't currently even log in.  They want my cell phone number, but I don't have one.  I have a work phone, not mine. (and a home phone)

Zelle and Venmo are not even offered by my Credit union.  I tried to buy a screwdriver over there a while ago, and couldn't because of no electronic payment options.
Back in late 95 or early 1996, I bought my first item from this site my brother said would not last, it was called Ebay.  For a couple of decades I bought off of them, using postal money orders.   Then at some point they required Paypal to "prevent fraud"; I had only had one instance with a postal money order as the sellers employee quit and didn't record they had received the payment.  When the postal inspector, shown them they had, it was quickly resolved.
Then I found/lost on a piece of equipment for the restaurant, then won the next for a little bit cheaper, I had to "link a bank account", yet they wouldn't take the money from the account, they required a credit card.  (call me confused by that)

Know too many cops that I have heard too many horror stories from.  Postal money orders are a good thing.

Ebay has done all sorts of weird changes since they parted ways with paypal. Most of the paypal crummy policies have come about after the separation too. Not saying any of it is related...