Author Topic: Some suggestions for filling-out the site  (Read 1948 times)

Offline TWX

• What's wrong with being sexy?
Some suggestions for filling-out the site
« on: August 31, 2018, 10:09:11 PM »
This is mainly for Uncle Buck but figured it would be best to post it for others to contribute too.

I understand that there are going to be some growing-pains, I'm sure we all do.  At this point it looks like the various main topics and subforums therein could benefit from some expansion and possibly a little rearranging.  I guess I see a few ways to sort, either sorting by what one has, or to sort by what one does.  Possibly some combination thereof.

Now, for me personally, I don't really "collect" tools in the sense of looking to get everything that Plomb made, or to look for all =V= Craftsman, etc, for tools to be archived-away without seeing much use.  For me, tools are there to be used first and foremost, and given the vast array of what's out there, just about everything that I have is there to be put into service, regardless of the age of the tool, who made it, or any other sort of collectability.  It would be my preference to see the bulk of the forums sorted based on the task, not based solely on the tool that might cross trades.  As such, as the site fills-in its topics and creates subforums, I would prefer to see them oriented toward a given trade or task, and that subforums for collecting where the tools don't see much use (antique or special-release stuff) are separately listed.  The old site seemed largely set up this way, with woodworking, metalworking/fabrication, building of shops, machinery repair, as the bulk of the subforums.

Right now I don't see many of these forums, like for designing and doing layout for garages and other workspaces, and for things like welding.  That would be nice to see return, as frankly I want to talk about welding and working on the shop itself.