General Category > PHOTOS OF GENERAL INTEREST (NOT TOOLS OR SHOP RELATED)

An Old Tool Returns

(1/4) > >>

J.A.F.E.:
I bought this new some years ago. In todays money it would have been about 3k plus shipping and some accessories. But I made a bonehead move by selling it and have regretted it ever since. It's no longer made and I couldn't afford it now if it was so I decided I wanted to try and get it back. Luckily a friend was able to help in my quest and the buyer never could figure out how to use it I got it back.

It cuts circle and oval* shapes in picture frame matboard and foam board either beveled or straight and will also score glass in those shapes. Modern equipment does the mats via a computer driven flatbed cutter modeled on an X/Y plotter but they are very costly and large. And they won't do foamboard or glass.

I have a project coming up where I will need to cut some round and oval shapes and now I can get to it. I mounted it on a planer cart with casters as space here is limited. If there's interest I'll post some pix of things I have done with it.

The cutting surface is glass on top of an acrylic turntable. A glass cutting surface will not dull a cutting tool - this uses an X-Acto #22 blade.

*Note: technically they are ellipses.

goodfellow:
Fancy! --- not everyday you see something like this. Glad it found its way back you Steve.

slip knot:
I bet that does take some skill to run it correctly. Probably not many folks around who even know what it is much less how to use it.

J.A.F.E.:
There is a learning curve. The basic shapes are pretty easy but some special treatments can get get a little tricky. Glass is tricky too because the shape must be released from the surrounding waste but glass always has challenges.

john k:
I would look at it, guess, then still walk away confused

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version