Author Topic: OK, I'm a hypocrite now  (Read 21237 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: OK, I'm a hypocrite now
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 11:03:10 PM »
No hf in my toolbox ...never.

I don't have much HF stuff in my box, but I will admit to a few bits and pieces here and there. I will never have much HF in there though. I would sort of feel like I was diluting/corrupting the bloodline of my tools....... :)) :))

Well, at least they're not as bad as the Barcalos! :)

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 11:05:01 PM »
First impressions are that I like the 1/4". The big bulge of the handle actually helps, as most 1/4 ratchets are too small for my hands. With the 3/8 it's the opposite. The handle is just too darn big. Much prefer the handle on my S-K roundhead or Thorsen open gear.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 11:15:17 PM »
So....  no HF or BB but Oxwall is still ok then?   

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 11:24:35 PM »
First impressions are that I like the 1/4". The big bulge of the handle actually helps, as most 1/4 ratchets are too small for my hands. ...

So then I guess you wouldn't like the Plomb 4751 (not my pic).

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »
First impressions are that I like the 1/4". The big bulge of the handle actually helps, as most 1/4 ratchets are too small for my hands. ...

So then I guess you wouldn't like the Plomb 4751 (not my pic).

:-\   Heck, I should just surgically install a 1/4" drive plug into my thumb!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »
I dont much care for  the offsets. Dont like the handles.  I do have the long composite from HFand like it though.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »
I dont much care for  the offsets. Dont like the handles.  I do have the long composite from HFand like it though.

I've been mulling it over for a year or so. My first perusal of the ratchets I was turned off by the handle on the 3/8". I thought I might eventually get the 1/4". But with their liquidation sale and such a blowout price I sprung for the pair. We'll see how they work out in actual use.

The longer straight composites looked OK, but were twice the price. Maybe next time.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 11:36:44 AM »

That might be pretty handy actually if it ratchets.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »

That might be pretty handy actually if it ratchets.

I don't know - with the arthritis it might!  :D

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 12:37:46 PM »
At least the COO would be known.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 03:59:01 PM »
Well, I have a Lay-z-boy recliner with loose armrests, and decided to see if I could get it apart and tighten things up. And I pulled out my HF 3/8" composite ratchet to give it a try. During the job I FORGOT I was using it! It was so comfortable, such a nice fine action, good feel, I forgot it was a test. Very happy with it so far!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:40:44 AM by bonneyman »

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 09:34:29 AM »
If you had a BarcaLounger that was probably put together with Barcalo tools, it wouldn’t need repairing. Just sayin’. ;)
-Don
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:06:05 AM by d42jeep »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 07:59:45 AM »
A Barcalo Barcalounger :))

All of the sudden, I feel like taking a nap in front of the tv

Offline 34Ply

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 08:54:17 AM »
I'm not a pro mechanic by any means but I spent most of my days in the garage doing something. Even when I was young I made the decision not to by Snap On or Mac because of the expense. My Craftsman worked well but I had bits and pieces that I got from friends. My first real sets were SK and now that's my main tools to use. I have all their wrench and socket sets. That being said I have read were people use HF stuff for stubborn bolts or hard to do things so they don't hurt their shinny stuff. To me that's a heck of a advertisement for HF tools. I guess they have no fear of rounding off bolts or the wrench slipping and getting hurt. I recently bought a Daytona jack and use it for my lift with no worrys at all. I would say for the young person just getting into cars or a job where he needs his own tools try HF. Make some money and by more expensive if you like. Now you guys that own SO or Mac and there are no other tools in the world don't jump on me, It's just my opinion.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2018, 09:07:49 AM »
I'm not a pro mechanic by any means but I spent most of my days in the garage doing something. Even when I was young I made the decision not to by Snap On or Mac because of the expense. My Craftsman worked well but I had bits and pieces that I got from friends. My first real sets were SK and now that's my main tools to use. I have all their wrench and socket sets. That being said I have read were people use HF stuff for stubborn bolts or hard to do things so they don't hurt their shinny stuff. To me that's a heck of a advertisement for HF tools. I guess they have no fear of rounding off bolts or the wrench slipping and getting hurt. I recently bought a Daytona jack and use it for my lift with no worrys at all. I would say for the young person just getting into cars or a job where he needs his own tools try HF. Make some money and by more expensive if you like. Now you guys that own SO or Mac and there are no other tools in the world don't jump on me, It's just my opinion.

It's worthy opinion. I'd be hard pressed not to buy HF if I were starting over these days.