Author Topic: Grip All USA  (Read 10070 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Grip All USA
« on: September 10, 2018, 08:44:53 PM »
I've had these locking pliers for a long time and just would really like to know something about the brand.
They are a bit crude in some ways but work just as well as my Vice Grips, and the jaws are of equal quality.
The overall form is about the same and the only real difference is the shape of the lower handle, a shape I happen to like.

Every once in a while I'll google them and turn up absolutely nothing, and I don't know whether or not I've posted about them on the old GG.

image hosting websites

Has anyone else heard of or seen these before ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Re: Grip All USA
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 04:17:20 PM »
I've seen locking pliers like that before.

I have this similar looking plier, with the funny crude-bent lower handle. Marked KNU-VISE  VW7, and what looks like an HF4 forged on the lower jaw. Very tough like my Vise-Grips, not soft at all.

Sorry this may not help your search much.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:19:33 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
I've seen locking pliers like that before.

I have this similar looking plier, with the funny crude-bent lower handle. Marked KNU-VISE  VW7, and what looks like an HF4 forged on the lower jaw. Very tough like my Vise-Grips, not soft at all.

Sorry this may not help your search much.
Those are surprisingly similar to mine.

I have absolutely zero information so for all I know your picture could possibly end up helping in some way.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »
Looks like there's a 10 inch version for sale on ebay, with a little more info for the hunt. Knu-Vise Inc. out of Detroit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tool-Knu-vise-Inc-VW-10-vise-grip-Locking-pliers-Detroit-Mich/263906438112?hash=item3d720cabe0:g:z~oAAOSwI2xbh1yZ

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
Looks like there's a 10 inch version for sale on ebay, with a little more info for the hunt. Knu-Vise Inc. out of Detroit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tool-Knu-vise-Inc-VW-10-vise-grip-Locking-pliers-Detroit-Mich/263906438112?hash=item3d720cabe0:g:z~oAAOSwI2xbh1yZ
The differences are so subtle on those that it almost makes me think they came from the same manufacturer.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »
I have yet to find a link between GRIP ALL USA and Lapeer Mfg who wroduced Know vise pliers, but I have realized that the Knu vise pliers do not use a release lever.
On those you just flick the handle out with your finger while the Grip All pliers I have use the Vise Grip style release lever, somehow I did not notice this before.

So while overall construction and finish are suprisingly similar there just may be no connection.
Always lookin' to learn