Author Topic: KR1000 Snappy roll cab  (Read 1662 times)

Offline oldnslo

KR1000 Snappy roll cab
« on: January 16, 2023, 08:02:54 AM »
Well, I went to look at a small RemLine box chock full of vintage tools and bought it along with a Snappy KR1000 15 drawer roll cab (yes, full of tools as well) that the guy just offered up out of the blue while chatting about tools. While I quickly paid for the RemLine  we struck a deal on the package, I have some questions tho.

1. It appears the KR1000 has 3 pivot and steerable wheels, and 1 roller wheel. This allows it to pivot on 1 wheel. It strikes me odd on that configuration. Is that normal?

2. There is a nice longer cubby tray on the top (perhaps 24" long), along with a smallish lid opening (that doesn't seem to open) but probably serves some function (perhaps 4" x 6"). What would that do? I got it home in time before darkness set it and its raining now (fully tarped), so no pics available.

Its in decent shape, but will need some love from my body hammers.

Any thoughts on the 2 items above?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: KR1000 Snappy roll cab
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 08:41:21 AM »
yea...... time for another building! :))
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 09:56:28 AM »
KR1000, best box snappy ever made.

3rd pivot caster was customer added I would bet to get into a tight spot.

Lid on top should open up to store prybars, long screwdrivers, long extensions.  No latch that I recall, just a hole to put your finger in to pull.  Likley stuck or rusted shut.  Not useful IMO

You got a great box, give it some love if needed and use it.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 10:19:29 AM »
Thanks for the notes. Yes, the long thin lid opens fully and functionally, and contains 2 MAC extensions as long as a summer solstice day. It's the really small lid to the right of that. I'll need to snap pics after the rain for reference.

Having the non-pivot rear wheel for a tight spot maneuver makes sense. Overall, the paint should buff to a shine nicely. It will need a full drawer slide removal, deep cleaning throughout and lube, but that is reserved for some other day. I didn't even inventory the tools, but was flabbergasted at the price when he pitched it. It was a young mechanic who bought from a neighbor and is looking to go new tool shopping. The table saw was free, he just threw that in since there was room on my trailer.

I first need a find a place to store it once I offload it.  :91:

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 07:30:09 PM »
We need to see some pictures.
boop/bop/beep

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 07:45:24 PM »
Check the back, might find a build date stamped in.  How much of the contents are name brand tools?

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 02:17:22 PM »
Its a nice day, and I dug through the drawers (really for the first time) between meetings today. OMG...what nuggets I discovered! The original non-pivoting wheel (new), an Actron DVOM (dead, even with a new battery), some MAC tool-age. It seems to be auto A/C oriented for much of the specialty tools. Some air tools too.

Here is the cubby hole cover on the right side. I've not tugged on it or viewed from below. Gotta get back to work.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 02:58:29 PM »
Ah forgot about that lid beside the extension compartment.  Don't think it opens and have no idea of the use. I just ignored it after not figuring it out. :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 09:06:40 PM »
Snappy toolboxes used to have spots for receipts and keys if I remember. Could that be what it's for?

Gotta see more pictures your killing us!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 08:17:44 AM »
Check the back, might find a build date stamped in.  How much of the contents are name brand tools?

Box should definitely have a date stamp

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 06:59:17 PM »
Update:

Its dated 1986 (edited). I've finally unloaded it off the trailer with my hydraulic helper (aka front end loader) so I dont crush myself and my process is to go through the treasures one drawer at a time, because I just can't spread all the chit all over the place. I learned from the KRL661.

The side "cover" I mentioned comes off easily, held in place with 2 small sheet metal screws. It hides nothing underneath, HOWEVER my working theory is that it can be removed if needed for allowing a large pry bar (with the accompanying large handle) to be locked underneath that long skinny lid, where the lid might not close down on a large handle.

Now, my question on the slides, which desperately need to be cleaned/lubed is that they are pop-riveted in to the cabinet. Is that the norm?

My KRL661 is held in with small sheet metal screws behind the inner slide section. Easy peasy to remove those.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 10:54:47 PM by oldnslo »

• Ran when parked
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 07:25:38 PM »
Now, my question on the slides, which desperately need to be cleaned/lubed is that they are pop-riveted in to the cabinet. Is that the norm?

My KRL661 is held in with small sheet metal screws behind the inner slide section. Easy peasy to remove those.

I'm a little confused.  Are you sure that box is 1978?  The logo on the front is the one they started using in the '80s.  The oldest box I've seen that logo on is 1981 according to a guy on Channel 3.  If it's a 1978 manufacture, the slides would be friction but it sounds like you're describing ball bearing slides?
boop/bop/beep

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 08:34:17 PM »
Ma-bad.  :c023:

86 stamped. I should not rely on my memory for more than 4 hours.

Yes, to the ball bearing slides.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 09:01:05 PM »
Ma-bad.  :c023:

86 stamped. I should not rely on my memory for more than 4 hours.

Yes, to the ball bearing slides.

Okay, that makes sense.  It sounds right that those are riveted in.  A few years later they're screwed in, at least that's how it works on my KR 637 from '87 and one from '90 (ten drawer top chest)  That's how I found out. 

I riveted in new slides on my '87 box and it works perfect.
boop/bop/beep

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 10:09:06 PM »
Thanks for the validation on the pop rivets.

I'll begin the removal of them for cleaning and ensure they haven't lost any ball bearings, then lube and reinstall. Screws are soooo much faster (obviously).