Author Topic: Watches: Engineering on a tiny scale  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Fatty_McButterpants

Watches: Engineering on a tiny scale
« on: January 27, 2023, 10:55:40 PM »
Are any of you guys watch collectors?

The engineering that goes into a mechanical watch is cool to say the least. The precision machine work required to make them is mind blowing. I can’t comprehend how they were able to do it so well 100 years ago.

My collection is mostly 50’s Bulova wrist watches and 50’s-70’s Timex. Here are a couple of my Timex watches that I recently purchased. The first two are a ‘61 and ‘62 Viscount. There are minor differences between the two but they are indeed different. The last one is quite uncommon for a Timex. It’s a ‘59 Darwin. I believe the Darwin was only sold in 1959 and 1960. I’ve got my eye on a Hamilton 992 pocket watch if any of you are into pocket watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 11:02:47 PM by Fatty_McButterpants »

Offline muddy

Re: Watches: Engineering on a tiny scale
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 02:05:31 PM »
Those Timex are built like Rolex compared to the junk made today. Very nice!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline john k

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 10:58:05 PM »
Always had a thing for watches, self winding if possible.   Digging thru boxes at thrifts, look for Elgin, Bulova, and Hamilton.  If its quarts, it stays there.  Was lucky enough to recieve hand me down pocket watches in the family.  Have hit a couple of auctions, figure I have enough.  Always wanted one a presentation watch like Buick, or Packard gave out for years of loyal service.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 11:12:59 PM »
Always had a thing for watches, self winding if possible.   Digging thru boxes at thrifts, look for Elgin, Bulova, and Hamilton.  If its quarts, it stays there.  Was lucky enough to recieve hand me down pocket watches in the family.  Have hit a couple of auctions, figure I have enough.  Always wanted one a presentation watch like Buick, or Packard gave out for years of loyal service.

Hamilton has some of the best asymmetrical watch crystals. I’d love to have one like that. I don’t like quartz either. I have a couple just  so I can wear a watch that I don’t care if it gets scratches or damaged in some way. Quartz technology is really interesting and quartz movements have their place. But on my wrist isn’t one of them generally speaking.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 11:23:15 PM »
Always wanted one a presentation watch like Buick, or Packard gave out for years of loyal service.

Something like this? Not mine. This is on eBay for $975. WAY out of my league.

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 12:23:24 PM »
Like that, but too pricey for me.  Some of my oldies.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 12:38:04 PM by john k »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 03:43:58 PM »
Very cool.
I currently wear a modern quartz timex Mk1 because they're reliable and affordable,  but of course they aren't anything like the old Timex.
From what I understand they were good and affordable, but more economical with a very simplified movement and not actually made to be serviced.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 03:51:15 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 09:26:10 PM »
Some of the wrist wear, and pocket tools, 3 of them are Camillus.  The black face Seiko is my daily wear.  Again poor net connection, from a tower 17 miles away
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 08:31:01 PM by john k »

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 09:16:43 AM »
From what I understand they were good and affordable, but more economical with a very simplified movement and not actually made to be serviced.
Timex actually encouraged watchmakers to service their watches. They don’t get serviced the same way a jeweled watch does but there is a process that works. It is possible to disassemble a Timex to service it like any other watch but reassembly is extremely difficult. I’ll never attempt it unless I can make an assembly jig like they used during the manufacturing process.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 09:51:27 AM »
Nice looking watches.  I don't own a watch and haven't for decades as I am hard on them.  Between my phone and clocks most everywhere, don't miss them on my wrist.  I do appreciate their beauty and styling, just not for me to wear.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 03:55:46 PM »
Nice looking watches.  I don't own a watch and haven't for decades as I am hard on them.  Between my phone and clocks most everywhere, don't miss them on my wrist.  I do appreciate their beauty and styling, just not for me to wear.
For me I need to keep track of time at work, don't like having to take my phone out of my pocket,  and in general at home or work I don't want to be touching my phone screen with dirty greasy hands.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 10:52:48 AM »
Yeah, I don't relish the thought of touching/using someone else's cell phone. I started using a wrist watch again after 20+ years just 2-3 years ago. Now I feel naked without it.

Have had to mess around with it on occasion (battery changes, minor cleaning, etc.) Horologists tools are really nice. Have picked up a few just for fine work on electronics and small projects. The movement holders really help the arthritic fingers rebuilding ratchets!

Not cheap, but the stuff they sell is nice.

https://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-watch-tools-1/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 11:05:08 AM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 11:07:08 AM »
I never would imagine a screwdriver sharpener being a thing.
Always lookin' to learn

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 04:46:40 PM »
I never would imagine a screwdriver sharpener being a thing.
I have a vintage Bergeon driver holder. I bought it from a watchmaker in NY that said his late business partner bought it when he was going through watchmaker school in the 1950’s.