Author Topic: CHAS PARKER VISE 954 1/2  (Read 5801 times)

Offline ken w.

CHAS PARKER VISE 954 1/2
« on: January 01, 2019, 04:59:45 PM »
This Chas Parker 954 1/2 is for sale locally . $ 75.00. Should I grab it ?

Offline kwoswalt99

Re: CHAS PARKER VISE 954 1/2
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 05:07:46 PM »
You can probably guess what my opinion is. ;D

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 05:30:00 PM »
I have that same one . Its a nice sized vise. I would go get it if it was local to me.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
It got sold in less than 1 hour. Not too me tho.   :'(

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 08:00:34 AM »
Ken, I realize you missed that vise but in order to answer your question in the future, what did you want the vise for?  To keep and use, decent price but not a steal.  To flip for profit, not enough room IMO

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »
Fixed base not a plus.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 10:27:04 AM »
Ken, I realize you missed that vise but in order to answer your question in the future, what did you want the vise for?  To keep and use, decent price but not a steal.  To flip for profit, not enough room IMO

Yup, you need to know before the opportunity presents itself. If you need it then buy it. I agree with Phil about flipping for profit. Usually when I see something on CL I really want I act fast as the good stuff disappears in a hurry. But you really have to know the answer when your eyes land on the picture. Usually if I debate an item, I either don't really need it and I am just choosing to waste money on something else to throw on my already too big piles of crap just like it. With each passing year there is less and less I drag home and that is OK.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 11:03:34 AM »
Fixed base not a plus.

Sometimes a fixed base is a plus if you are really cranking on something.  Vise won't swivel when you don't want it to.

I know I almost never swivel my vises and I have certainly had them move when not wanted to.  Now my vises are decent brands but not top tier and neither shop nor home vise is large so that is part of my problem.  Ideally, one of each would be best.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 11:38:04 AM »
Fixed base not a plus.

Sometimes a fixed base is a plus if you are really cranking on something.  Vise won't swivel when you don't want it to.

I know I almost never swivel my vises and I have certainly had them move when not wanted to.  Now my vises are decent brands but not top tier and neither shop nor home vise is large so that is part of my problem.  Ideally, one of each would be best.

I choose swivel base vices and find that when I need to swivel the base, the need is great so I highly value my swivel base vises. My vises are not large, the largest one is a 4.5 inch jaw Columbian. I have never had issue with my base not staying put, even when really doing very rough and demanding work using large pipe wrenches, cheaters, and other such implements of destruction. In fact, even my benches holding my big vises were built so that the benches stay put and don't move and rattle about when I am really getting after something hard and reefing on large wrenches and the like. My benches are all secured to the wall to further limit the loss of effective transfer of force during rough jobs to movement of the bench, vise etc.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline ken w.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 03:00:10 PM »
I would have bought this vise for a restore.  I was also really board that night and was looking at vises for sale.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 08:48:51 PM »
I got mine mounted on a 4in pipe with 13 bags of concrete holding it tight. its outdoors so I can get some fire on it or a long cheater if need be. Non swivel was a non issue for mine. ;D