Author Topic: Logan Lathe Model 200 Value  (Read 5887 times)

Offline highland512

Logan Lathe Model 200 Value
« on: January 04, 2021, 10:06:53 PM »
I have an opportunity to get a Logan model 200. Its a 10 swing machine that has been sitting in a home garage for what looks like 40-50 years. Original owner has passed and the garage needs cleaned out. All I know as of now is the motor runs and the chuck spins. I plan on going to look at it soon, any guesses on a fair price?

Offline highland512

Re: Logan Lathe Model 200 Value
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 10:12:43 PM »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 10:48:25 PM »
I have no idea what a lathe that size and age is going for in your area. Check all around the lathe and garage for any accessories as those will add value. It is on a nice probably factory stand and I would say it is worth at least $500 with accessories.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 12:39:29 AM »
If a complete set of change gears for threading and feeding can't be found, I'd walk unless it was free. There should be about 10 loose gears floating around.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 06:22:08 PM »
Those sell pretty steep in my area. A lathe that size at $1000 wont last a day on FB.

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 04:09:20 PM »
I told them I would pass based on I think the motor needs rebuilt, belts replaced, and I cant find the change gears. They called me back and said if I want it to come get it out of the garage. I guess I am a hobby machinist now, anybody have any hints on moving this anchor?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 05:12:04 PM »
I told them I would pass based on I think the motor needs rebuilt, belts replaced, and I cant find the change gears. They called me back and said if I want it to come get it out of the garage. I guess I am a hobby machinist now, anybody have any hints on moving this anchor?

I moved my lathe and mill using my HF engine hoist (aka Cherry Picker). I used the picker to load the tools into my truck, then disassembled the picker and loaded it as well. When I arrived I unloaded and assembled the picker and used it to unload the lathe and mill. A good set of chains, nylon straps and tie downs made the whole thing go very smooth. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 05:59:49 PM »
Good job highland512 and thanks Greyson for mentioning the change gears as I wasn't specific about those. A cherry picker will do the job like GF said. When I had to get my compressor out of a home shop I bought a 2 ton picker and a leveler at HF. I had a helper and we picked up the compressor and moved it to a rollup door and I backed the trailer under it while it was hoisted and set it on the trailer.

I have a couple of Logan manuals and I'll check to see what models they are for. You can still buy them from Logan I believe.

https://store.lathe.com/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:08:26 PM by DeadNutz »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 06:15:03 PM »
Those cheapy furniture dollies at HF are great for this kind of stuff. get it up on those and roll it out. I move a lot of heavy crap by myself with those

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 08:03:10 PM »
You can't go wrong with free! Hopefully in the move some of the tooling turns up.

If it's way back deep buried in a garage, breaking it down into pieces will be the easiest way to move it. The tailstock will slide right off the end, there's 20 lbs. The drive unit and motor is nearly 100 lbs. Don't be scared of cutting the belt if you have to. The lathe itself is 150ish lbs and easily handled by two people if separated from the legs.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 01:55:04 PM »

I moved my lathe and mill using my HF engine hoist (aka Cherry Picker). I used the picker to load the tools into my truck, then disassembled the picker and loaded it as well. When I arrived I unloaded and assembled the picker and used it to unload the lathe and mill. A good set of chains, nylon straps and tie downs made the whole thing go very smooth.

Done the same way here before too.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 02:00:37 PM »
The Logan is a great machine to find like that. There is still parts support from Logan and no shortage on the secondary market either. Logan is a robust machine too and was the make of Montgomery Ward metal lathes back in the day. As originally pictured even missing change gears, shot motor and needing belt the machine to me would have been worth $200 or so. Just those cast iron legs usually sell for right at $200 when found.

Change the tool post out to a quick change wedge type too.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 06:24:06 AM »
The weather finally cleared up and the schedule was open. I made the 2 hr trip to pick this up. Not sure on the year, I am still digging into that. Over all I am pleased with the condition of the tool. Needs lots of cleanup, the ways aren’t rusty but just grime covered. Engine wants to start and will run if you give a spin. My guess is it is time for a new starter capacitor.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 09:08:07 AM »
Looks good and typical condition for an old lathe that has been indoors and not much attention. That should serve you well.