Author Topic: Walker Unit-Lift # 798 Transmission floor jack.  (Read 684 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Walker Unit-Lift # 798 Transmission floor jack.
« on: January 15, 2024, 04:03:37 PM »

Here's an antique floor jack that I acquired some 20 years ago. That may be as old as 1933. After doing a research of the patent number 1,900,528. Walker Manufacturing company of Racine, Wisconsin filed for a US patent on January 28, 1932. And was granted a patent on March 7, 1933. At first glance, the only deviation from the patent drawings and my jack are two bosses located on the handle. That prevent your hand from being smashed between it and the floor.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Walker Unit-Lift # 798 Transmission floor jack.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 05:14:16 PM »
what a relatively simple design -- very nice!!!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 10:50:30 PM »
Beautiful example. I have seen pictures of that jack(or what looked to be the same anyway) through the years. However,  I have never seen one restored to as new condition.

Do you intend to put it back to work? Even if you don't,  we'll worth the effort to restore in my opinion.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 10:04:22 AM »
Beautiful example. I have seen pictures of that jack(or what looked to be the same anyway) through the years. However,  I have never seen one restored to as new condition.

Do you intend to put it back to work? Even if you don't,  we'll worth the effort to restore in my opinion.

The old Walker Transmission Jack has been used sparingly. And has been since retired because it's difficult for me getting up and down. You know this age thing. My choice is raising the vehicle on one of my seven lifts. And letting my Ranger RTJ-1 two-stage transmission jack do the work. Much easier and faster and saves my back. The first-stage has a 2,000 pound capacity, while the second stage has 1,000 pound capacity. Lowered height is 37” and raised is 79”.

I originally purchased this unit used before the Ranger. And have several tall jack stabilization support to compliment the Ranger..

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 06:32:30 PM »
That one looks much better than mine but mine is still on active duty. I use mine when pulling tractors apart for clutch jobs. Works much better than a hydraulic unit that can leak down

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 03:16:09 AM »
That jack is sweet.  Your shop looks better set up then many auto shops I know.  7 lifts?  Are some used for double parking cars in the collection?

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 01:15:00 PM »
That jack is sweet.  Your shop looks better set up then many auto shops I know.  7 lifts?  Are some used for double parking cars in the collection?

Four post lifts for storing cars

Mohawk symmetric two-post lift in my 30' by 50' machine shop

Bendpak asymmetrical two-post lift nested in my working garage along side paint booth, number tool boxes, tire changer & balancer 

Removing the body off my 1910 Buick using two-post life

Removing the engine from chassis of same 1910 Buick with chain fall

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 08:57:43 PM »
Shop of dreams!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 04:51:19 AM »
Wow, that is a sweet sweet shop,,,,,,no, shops

Obviously you are set up to do serious work.  A gantry crane no less.   

So is your main use restoring cars?  And do you do most everything in house?

Helpers, buddies?

Really like that older Snap on KR660 box with the top box on it.  Likely the best quality boxes Snap on ever made

Thanks for the tour and bet you have inspired some folks to get our acts together.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 10:06:04 AM »
Wow, that is a sweet sweet shop,,,,,,no, shops

Obviously you are set up to do serious work.  A gantry crane no less.   

So is your main use restoring cars?  And do you do most everything in house?

Helpers, buddies?

Really like that older Snap on KR660 box with the top box on it.  Likely the best quality boxes Snap on ever made

Thanks for the tour and bet you have inspired some folks to get our acts together.

The proper name for my cranes are “Bridge Cranes” That I put together ans set up myself. My latest innovation is the power supply real. I used Festoon systems at firts(series of pulleys running on a wire) then updated to reel setup that is far neater..

I have most everything needed to restore antique automobiles, such as paint booth, complete machine shop, TIG, MIG, Oxy-Acetylene welding,  power and hand tools. sewing machines for upholstery & tops, etc... I've been collecting this over 60 years...

Indeed I have a few grand children and friends that help...

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 04:56:02 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Never realized you are as deep into the hobby as you are.  You are a blessed man in many ways.

And bridge cranes,,,,,,,,,,,,,I will have to remember that ;)

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2024, 06:13:20 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Never realized you are as deep into the hobby as you are. You are a blessed man in many ways.

And bridge cranes,,,,,,,,,,,,,I will have to remember that ;)

My biggest blessing was having two Loving and Nurturing parent. Good parenting is the biggest sacrifice one can make. That puts your life on hold to fulfill the promise of your children's tomorrow.

Gantry Crane: Think of  a child's A-frame swing set with the hoist running on the top rail..

Bridge Crane: A bridge beam that the hoist travels on with a runway beam at each end.

Jib Crane: A single column with a swing arm beam that the hoist travels on. Hoist travel limited to an arc

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 07:41:39 PM »
A career in industry has no doubt played a huge part in providing the background, experience,  and knowledge to put such an impressive shop together,  and even more importantly know how to put the contents into practical use!

Very impressive by any measure.  My job has allowed me the privilege of touring literally hundreds of shops and working for several during my career so I have seen many.

Only one, maybe two times have I ever seen a shop as well equipped, organized and in use as yours. Actually, the closest shop that I ever recall seeing that was anything close to what I see in your shop was the one I saw when I toured the automotive restoration program at McPherson College in McPherson KS.

Honestly,  from some of the pictures you have shared in previous posts I am not surprised in the least at what these pictures showed.

I  am very impressed that you hung your bridge. I have only personally known only one other guy to do that. I seem to recall his was 5T at least that was what I recall, it might have been a 10T. His is a heavy shop as he primarily does work for Cat. Anyway, I would stop by his shop when he first had the building assembled every night after work. Several nights successively I stopped and watched as he and a couple of BIL's were attaching the rails the bridge was to be hung on to the red iron skeleton of the structure still under construction and not yet skinned. I don't recall seeing the bridge hung, but only recall seeing them install the traveling rails. The same bridge is still in use today, no idea if the hoist is the same. That guys shop has expanded exponentially since he opened as a one man shop in 1992 or so and now employs 50-60 people or so.

Around 1997 the guy bought a massive machining center I think it is called a V-100. The machine is so huge the advertising picture he had for the machine showed a Hummer vehicle parked on the table!

I have likely shared that previously. If anyone cares to see the massive machine for themselves just Google search R-Tech tool and machine in wamego KS. I think there are also YouTube videos of the machine in use as well.

Forgive me, I always stray. OCG, a most impressive shop, and I know exactly what it took to hang that bridge. Count me plenty impressed!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 11:00:01 AM »
A career in industry has no doubt played a huge part in providing the background, experience,  and knowledge to put such an impressive shop together,  and even more importantly know how to put the contents into practical use!

Very impressive by any measure.  My job has allowed me the privilege of touring literally hundreds of shops and working for several during my career so I have seen many.

Only one, maybe two times have I ever seen a shop as well equipped, organized and in use as yours. Actually, the closest shop that I ever recall seeing that was anything close to what I see in your shop was the one I saw when I toured the automotive restoration program at McPherson College in McPherson KS.

Honestly,  from some of the pictures you have shared in previous posts I am not surprised in the least at what these pictures showed.

I  am very impressed that you hung your bridge. I have only personally known only one other guy to do that. I seem to recall his was 5T at least that was what I recall, it might have been a 10T. His is a heavy shop as he primarily does work for Cat. Anyway, I would stop by his shop when he first had the building assembled every night after work. Several nights successively I stopped and watched as he and a couple of BIL's were attaching the rails the bridge was to be hung on to the red iron skeleton of the structure still under construction and not yet skinned. I don't recall seeing the bridge hung, but only recall seeing them install the traveling rails. The same bridge is still in use today, no idea if the hoist is the same. That guys shop has expanded exponentially since he opened as a one man shop in 1992 or so and now employs 50-60 people or so.

Around 1997 the guy bought a massive machining center I think it is called a V-100. The machine is so huge the advertising picture he had for the machine showed a Hummer vehicle parked on the table!

I have likely shared that previously. If anyone cares to see the massive machine for themselves just Google search R-Tech tool and machine in wamego KS. I think there are also YouTube videos of the machine in use as well.

Forgive me, I always stray. OCG, a most impressive shop, and I know exactly what it took to hang that bridge. Count me plenty impressed!

Let me keep this simple on my part,,,, Thanks for all your compliments, coming from you is extra meaningful.

Offline walrus

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2024, 04:41:08 PM »
Thats like old car  guy heaven right there  :). Not only is there whatever one would need to restore a car , the place was immaculate . Very cool. That jack was nice also