Author Topic: !929 Ford Model A Doctor's Coupe  (Read 858 times)

Offline oldcarguy

!929 Ford Model A Doctor's Coupe
« on: September 14, 2023, 03:58:58 PM »
The Model A returned Ford to first place in the industry. Built between 1928 through 1931 Only after the 18 year run of the Model T. When Two-Thirds of the cars on the US roads were Fords.  "Fix Or Repair Daily" was their competition's battle cry. That was by no means accurate..

I added this Model A to my collection ten years ago. Rather than make it to OEM standards. I took some liberties to make it more user friendly. After all I have a 1931 Model A Rumble Seat Roadster that's all Ford! The engine was rebuilt with aluminum pistons. Changed the 6 Volt to 12 Volt. Updated the generator to an alternator. Changed out the transmission to a F150 four-speed synchronized in all forward speed. Top gear being overdrive. Because of the lower RPM's of the engine. I added a fan with more blades..   All the rest to factory standard.   The best part of a Model A is that every part is reproduced to day. And many after market improvements are available. Such as overhead valve head conversions. There's actually a number of sources as well..   

« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 08:42:31 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline jabberwoki

Re: !929 Ford Model T Doctor's Coupe
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 07:13:39 PM »
I think i`m coming over for a visit....
Before i die i`m having a model T pick up.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 11:43:31 PM »
Beautiful car!   :bravo_2:
boop/bop/beep

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 08:13:34 PM »
Very nice!

Smart safety and driveability improvements.  Did you change to hydraulic brakes?
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline john k

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 09:34:52 PM »
That Ford could not  be any shinier!  Was wondering if you installed modern led bulbs in the head and taillamps?

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 10:13:57 PM »
Very nice!
 :08:
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 10:20:42 PM »
I hesitate to ask these questions  because I think you will share some Model A factoid that I am ignorant of, yet here I go anyway.

1) Why did the thread title indicate a 1929 Model T when to my knowledge T's were done in 1927 and 1928-1931 was all A.
Which opens the door to my next question.
2) You spoke of a 1932 Model A which I am also not familiar with. To my knowledge 1932 was the Model B?

BTW: Absolutely beautiful coupe. I  wish my 1930 A coupe looked as nice!

I suspect I have overlooked something though and hope you will explain what I overlooked.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 10:38:11 PM »
My 30 coupe, inherited as a project after my dad passed came to him in the early 70's and had already been converted to juice brakes from 46-48 parts. It also had safety glass by the time he got it and had the deck lid converted to a rumble seat as well. Your upgrades I thoroughly applaud.  I intend to upgrade the water pump on dad's to one of the new high flow water pumps that look original that are advertised in the Restorer. I also intend to change out the internal parts of the distributor to a Pertronix also advertised in the Restorer to save the frustration of monkeying around with the points. I really like the idea of the synchronized transmission with overdrive to help on top end speed and do away with all of the double clutching. The fan blade swap was very wise indeed!

Offline oldcarguy

Re: !929 Ford Model A Doctor's Coupe
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 09:05:31 PM »
I hesitate to ask these questions  because I think you will share some Model A factoid that I am ignorant of, yet here I go anyway.

1) Why did the thread title indicate a 1929 Model T when to my knowledge T's were done in 1927 and 1928-1931 was all A.
Which opens the door to my next question.
2) You spoke of a 1932 Model A which I am also not familiar with. To my knowledge 1932 was the Model B?

BTW: Absolutely beautiful coupe. I  wish my 1930 A coupe looked as nice!

I suspect I have overlooked something though and hope you will explain what I overlooked.

You are absolutely correct. I miss typed the title it should been Model A. I did change. And the model years the A was produced were 1928 to 1931. And my other model A is a model years 1931Rumble Seat Roadster..

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 08:09:08 PM »
That roadster could be a twin to the one my uncle restored in the early 1980's.  I recall Washington Blue as the color. He followed that one up by restoring a 30 or 31 Deluxe Coupe that was a stunning deep red color. Those were the only A's I ever had a chance to drive. Yours is beautiful!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 08:34:09 PM »
Also, you referred to your Coupe as a Dr's coupe which I am unfamiliar with, though I know there were some variations I may not recall. I would have suspected this was what I recall as a Standard Coupe, or maybe a Business Coupe due to the lack of a rumble seat, and I think the rear window does not roll down were the only real noticeable differences. Is my memory correct? I  think cowl lights were options for both the standard and Deluxe, but I might be wrong on that.

I  do not know if they give tours, but if they do, McPherson College in McPherson KS. is something that anyone interested in auto restoration should see. The school offers the only auto restoration program offered at a college in the country. About fifteen years back I was fortunate enough to see everything and every department related to that program and toured through by their administrator. Every dept as clean and so equipped! Engine and transmission shop, body shop, machine shop, upholstery shop, pattern shop to make the wood pieces antique cars had. And I I sure other departments I have since forgotten. It was incredible. The program was very costly to go through as a student and produced some of the finest restoration experts in the country. To my knowledge that has not changed. Jay Lenno was a major contributor and I think was at the time on their board of directors for the program.

I only got the privilege of seeing that because the school was slated for a mock OSHA inspection and I was lucky enough to be the consultant assigned to do the inspection. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 08:47:17 PM »
I forgot to add, at the time of my visit, a person could bring them a decent A engine and a box full of new pistons, rods, rings, gaskets etc. and the school would take your engine, re machine as needed, pour new bearings, the re assemble your engine with the new parts that you provided and return your rebuilt to as new conditions for at the time some insanely low price, something between like $1,000- 1,200 or so I seem to recall. That seemed cheap to me given the best and only auto restoration school in the country would do the work. I bet they don't offer that anymore.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2023, 10:09:30 PM »
That roadster could be a twin to the one my uncle restored in the early 1980's.  I recall Washington Blue as the color. He followed that one up by restoring a 30 or 31 Deluxe Coupe that was a stunning deep red color. Those were the only A's I ever had a chance to drive. Yours is beautiful!

The term doctors coupe is from my inner circle. The correct Ford term is coupe. The  delux package is different in models and year. Could be side lights, interior trim, light, and gages. The roadster was ver popular in the day to all ages. Because low coast and being so sporty.

McPhergason College is an amazing teaching facility for auto restoration. The best! I know a dozen graduated and are all top notch. Jay is a big promoter of the school.