VEHICLES > PROJECT CARS/TRUCKS

1964 ½ Ford Mustang... The pony Car

(1/2) > >>

oldcarguy:

In 1964 Ford introduced an affordable small car that would appeal to the younger generation. The result was the Pony Car called the Mustang. And was available in a hardtop and convertible. A fast back was introduced in August of 1964 and today it is the most desirable. The car enthusiasts designated the earlier years from April to August 1964 as 1964 1/2 mustangs.

One of my daughters asked me to purchase this when she was 14. And we restored it in time for her  sixteen birthday. I was never a fan of Mustangs. But soon felt the joy working on it. It had the 289 engine, three-speed automatic transmission, power steering, and power brakes. It was a fast car, could get rubber out of the first two gears. Hence I added a governor to keep her out of trouble...

john k:
I had and enjoyed a 66 fastback in the 70s.  Worked over the 289, 4-spd well enough the state removed my driver's license for a bit.  Always had big cars before, but enjoyed the handling and size of the Mustang.  The red looks good on your car.

Lookin4_67GalaxieConv:
When I lived in Virginia in the mid '70s, our neighbor had a '68 Mustang, burgundy with black interior.  That car was nice!

oldcarguy:

--- Quote from: john k on November 15, 2023, 08:27:05 PM ---I had and enjoyed a 66 fastback in the 70s.  Worked over the 289, 4-spd well enough the state removed my driver's license for a bit.  Always had big cars before, but enjoyed the handling and size of the Mustang.  The red looks good on your car.

--- End quote ---

Owning that 1966 fastback in the 1970's was the bomb. It's not just a car, It's a Mustang!

Ford made a historic moment in automotive culture introducing the Mustang in 1964. That made Lee Iacocca a household name. Then becoming a national celebrity for steering the Chrysler Corporation out of bankruptcy in the 1980's.

pep:
I disliked the first Mustangs because they were a Ford Falcon with a different body ................ took notice 5 years back as the Mustang really changed things for the better.

So much so, ordered & purchased a 2020 GT PP2, killer car with whoop ass. That handles & plants the power remarkably well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version