TOOLS AND THE SHOP > GUNSMITHING/ KNIFEMAKING

Personal airgun smithing.

<< < (2/6) > >>

hickory n Steel:

--- Quote from: daves_not_here on April 13, 2020, 04:35:33 PM ---Is an old "BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" Model 312 worth restoring?

--- End quote ---
It sure as hell is, those old " tootsie roll " Benjamin's are real sweetheart of a little rifle.
I'd look into determining the age of it first though as they made 'em from I believe the 30's till the early 70's when they updated the safety and the model numbers went from 310 312 and 317 to 340 342 and 347.
A reseal is always a good thing if it needs it, but like anything  " restoration " can hurt value.

That bare brass polished out '67 312 on the bench there is one sweet little shooter ( a gift from a friend who acquired it in rough condition and refinished + polished it out as an experiment) it came to me with original seals which have finally given out though and I haven't gotten around to resealing it.

If it's just not compressing you can give it some nd 10w30, let it sit upright in a corner for a few days till you get compression then give it a thorough flushing with rubbing alcohol and repeat the oiling process.
This could potentially give you another few years of use out of it before it needs a teardown and reseal.

ken w.:
I came across a bag full of Benjamin Franklin parts the other day cleaning out. Not sure of the model.

hickory n Steel:

--- Quote from: ken w. on April 14, 2020, 01:30:02 PM ---I came across a bag full of Benjamin Franklin parts the other day cleaning out. Not sure of the model.

--- End quote ---
A whole gun in parts or just a bunch of parts ?

Conductor562:
I’ve got a Benjamin Franklin Model 310 that belonged to my grandfather. Don’t know anything about it but it worked up until about 5 years ago when it quit building pressure. I would love to get it working again, but know nothing about them or where to source parts.

hickory n Steel:

--- Quote from: Conductor562 on April 14, 2020, 10:05:57 PM ---I’ve got a Benjamin Franklin Model 310 that belonged to my grandfather. Don’t know anything about it but it worked up until about 5 years ago when it quit building pressure. I would love to get it working again, but know nothing about them or where to source parts.

--- End quote ---
That bb gun would be a 1962 manufactured rifle based on the serial number.

You can get the parts from here
https://www.bakerairguns.com/
I personally like the mac1 airguns kits the best because he includes a bottle of his secret sauce airgun oil,  but he does not sell the valve tool while Baker does.

You'll get a little tube of crosman pellgun oil with it, but dont use it.
The stuff can gum up over time.

Before you tear into the gun try reviving the seals.

Let it stand upright in the corner for a few days with some nd10w30 periodically trying to pump it, you just may get some compression out of it.

Btw I see you're missing the safety, but I urge you not to bother replacing it.
When you use this safety it simply catches the hammer which can damage the edge that the sear catches and make an unsafe gun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version