VEHICLES > PROJECT CARS/TRUCKS

1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass

<< < (2/40) > >>

Der Bugmeister:
The current rear end is an O type open diff, unique to Oldsmobiles and having very limited aftermarket support or options while the donor car had what appeared to be a 8.5" 10 bolt posi unit and factory boxed control arms.  The ratio turned out to be 2.73 which is way to low for the 5 speed.  The rear end appears to be a Buick unit based on the axle stamping, and had a Borg Warner split case posi unit, and 28 spline bolt in axles instead of the C Clips.  Although I found someone who could rebuild the posi unit, it does appear the cones are worn and the overall recommendation/sentiment is to replace it all.

I had another Olds posi rear end as an option, but it's 3.08 gearing and limited support was still out of the range I wanted for the 5 speed.  So the GM 10 bolt has been removed from the blue donor car and replaced with the spare rear end.  This allows me to keep the project car as a roller until the new rear end is together.  The donor car is still drivable - the 350 sounds and feels good, the transmission works but there are no brakes.  One of my friends is helping me with a lot of this work and will be buying that car from me once I've got the parts I want from it.  I'll be replacing the "stolen" parts with the ones they replace on the project and the goal is to maintain the donor car as a viable driver/project.

I'm looking at a 3.73 ratio based on the recommendation from my transmission vendor, 30 spline Moser axles and either a Yukon or Eaton posi carrier.  That should all come together in the next month and in the meantime the axle housing will get sandblasted and painted along with various rear suspension components.

Der Bugmeister:
And this brings us up to date.  I'm waiting for information on the block and crank from my machinist then will be ordering all the shiny go fast parts soon...then waiting impatiently as some of the parts are potentially 6 months out.  I think I'm ready to order the transmission and rear end parts next week.

The first new part did arrive recently...the intake I wanted had been out of stock for a while until recently, so we got that in. 

DeadNutz:
Love the shiny Edelbrock intake manifold that always looks so beautiful when you open the box.
Thanks for the update and are the VWs pretty much limited to drivers now? It is great that you are building your desired car how you want it. I hope it all comes together for you with no major snags.

Der Bugmeister:

--- Quote from: DeadNutz on February 19, 2022, 09:09:41 AM ---Love the shiny Edelbrock intake manifold that always looks so beautiful when you open the box.
Thanks for the update and are the VWs pretty much limited to drivers now? It is great that you are building your desired car how you want it. I hope it all comes together for you with no major snags.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, love the shine!  Kind of a symbolic step at this point, but good to be moving in the right direction.  It will be even better when all the other new shiny parts start arriving...and ultimately once they're combined to "fly" in unison.

I've been down to a single VW for some time now (although I do have a '58 rolling shell that's a good project for someone not me at the moment).  I'm hoping to be able to keep the '57 sunroof Bug but am reluctantly prepared to part with it if I need extra funds to bring this Cutlass project to a close without cutting corners.  I had the Bug insured last summer but only drove it a handful of times...it needs some work and problem solving to become a reliable driver again.  I hadn't insured it for the year or two before that, partially due to the 'vid reducing driving opportunities.

I don't know how much I'd wind up driving it once the brute is finished, although the Bug will certainly be easier on the gas budget.  If I do manage to retain the Bug, I'd like to do a nut and bolt restoration on it after the Cutlass is done.  I've been collecting parts for that for years now.

skfarmer:
looks great. i grew up driving olds cars.  i drove a 79 delta 88 for years and had an 87 cutlass as well and then an i would guess about a 90 cutlass supreme international. my parents had several as well. nothing like yours but i really wish i had never sold the 87.[email][/email]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version