VEHICLES > PROJECT CARS/TRUCKS

New project to be daily driver

<< < (2/3) > >>

Uncle Buck:
GF, you didn't even mention the Jag. Did you finish or sell it during my absence?

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: Uncle Buck on December 04, 2023, 08:19:42 AM ---GF, you didn't even mention the Jag. Did you finish or sell it during my absence?

--- End quote ---

Yes I did finish it Herb, but there were some issues. Cosmetically it was great, but the electrical system was never right. It kept blowing fuses and even had a dead short at one point that caused a bit of smoke -- LOL. I drove it, but it wasn't perfect. When we moved to our new house, I had it delivered to a "Jag expert" who came highly recommended by the local Jaguar Club. He couldn't find what was wrong with it either -- and I spent considerable $$ for him to find a solution. I finally took it back and during a local trip in the county side the water pump literally exploded and spewed coolant all over the engine compartment First time I ever saw that happen.

I managed to replace the pump and I cleaned the car up nicely again inside and out and decided to put the project on hold until I absolutely could find the intermittent electrical shorts. It's stored in a climate controlled garage near my house because I still have to outfit my current garage and get a lift. The idea was to store the Jag on the lift and park my truck and car in the garage as well;-thereby leaving plenty of room to work and piddle.

My back injury last year put me in a terrible bind. I was totally out of commission for over six months and after that time I was not allowed to strain my back at all -- Hence no major projects. The Jag just had to sit in it's hibernation until I could get back on it. This year my wife and I took it out only once for a short ride, but now she has a hard time getting in and out of the car. Therefore she doesn't like to travel much in it.

I have a lofty plan for the car, but will need to consider time/finances to accomplish what i want to do. I always thought the glass covered headlights and rear lower cowl of the Series ! and Series 1.5 cars were stunning. My 1970 Series II although more comfortable, has open headlights and a not so pleasing lower rear cowl. Due to governmental regulations in the late1960's Jaguar had to loose a lot of the classic E-Type form in order to comply with new regulations.

In recent years some great new OEM style sheetmetal parts have become available to retrofit later model year E-Types with new sheetmetal in order to make them look exactly like the older "classic" Series I and 1.5 cars. It would mean a lot of welding and rework of the body and bonnet to accomplish this project, and at my age it may not make sense, but I'm seriously considering it.

Also with the bonnet off the car I could do a full on diagnosis of the wiring harness in order to find that electrical gremlin.

The only project(s) I have on for 2024 is to finish the garage to include the lift, and to rebuild my 1993 Kawasaki X-11 Ninja bike. That will get first billing. The Jaguar will be next in line -- if I decide to do all that sheetmetal work.

Uncle Buck:
Oh my, I am so sorry to hear all this. That had to be very discouraging after all the time, money, and hard work invested in this labor of love! I think mothballing the Jag for now was a wise decision. The sting of disappointment with issues preventing you from enjoying the car will have hopefully subsided by the time you decide to dig into it again and will allow for a fresh and new perspective to tackle, identify and correct the issues at the root of the problem.  I  don't suppose you could share a few pictures of what the car looked like after you finished reassembling it could you? Issues aside, I am sure it looked stunning after reassembly.

john k:
Had to reshuffle here.  The 1993 GMC 1/2 t I got on auction has disappeared, right off the auction lot, already got a refund and apology.  Was an extended cab no rust truck too.  Progress continues on the 97 Chevy, power windows, locks, and hinge pins.  Last Monday was heading home just after dark with the 97 1500 my ladyfriend  brought with her.  21 miles from home met a black Angus cow on the highway, pretty much wiped out the front end, radiator too, bumper folded into a front tire, so it is doa, and a parts donor for the auction truck.  Deputy couldn't contact the nearest wrecker service, so unbeknownst to me called another from the city.  Found this out after a 45 minute wait, and he was hooked up.  Had materials in the bed, and groceries in the cab, so convinced him to take me home.  Deputy couldnt as it was across county lines.  Tow bill was $200, but only 20 miles loaded,  was a 100 mile round trip for him.  Cow was much worse than the truck.

Midnitemack:

--- Quote from: john k on December 04, 2023, 10:18:59 PM ---Had to reshuffle here.  The 1993 GMC 1/2 t I got on auction has disappeared, right off the auction lot, already got a refund and apology.  Was an extended cab no rust truck too.  Progress continues on the 97 Chevy, power windows, locks, and hinge pins.  Last Monday was heading home just after dark with the 97 1500 my ladyfriend  brought with her.  21 miles from home met a black Angus cow on the highway, pretty much wiped out the front end, radiator too, bumper folded into a front tire, so it is doa, and a parts donor for the auction truck.  Deputy couldn't contact the nearest wrecker service, so unbeknownst to me called another from the city.  Found this out after a 45 minute wait, and he was hooked up.  Had materials in the bed, and groceries in the cab, so convinced him to take me home.  Deputy couldnt as it was across county lines.  Tow bill was $200, but only 20 miles loaded,  was a 100 mile round trip for him.  Cow was much worse than the truck.

--- End quote ---

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version