Author Topic: Once upon a time I was a member  (Read 3141 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Once upon a time I was a member
« on: June 15, 2023, 08:15:14 PM »
 Time has a way of getting away from us, as it's been years since I posted. Have to wonder if anyone remembers the oldcarguy? I see that all my old post were either deleted or lost.

This is an overview my My compound...

Offline slip knot

Re: Once upon a time I was a member
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 09:35:10 PM »
Welcome back. Your posts weren't deleted. the whole site crashed a few years back and everything was deleted. Sadly, A lot of good info was lost.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 09:44:10 PM »
I sure remember you and your fantastic fleet!  Glad to see again!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 01:00:18 AM »
How could we forget OldCarGuy?  I remember you had a few cars from the early 1900s and sometimes you'd just machine new parts if you needed them!
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 05:59:29 AM »
Yes, we all fondly remember the "oldcarguy". I, and many others loved your posts and the pics of your shop space. Sadly, the site crashed some years ago and all of our old posts and back-up archives were destroyed. Total digital mayhem.

Glad to see you back and that you're still hangin' in there -- Welcome back!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 07:24:21 AM »
absolutely! welcome back!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 02:45:49 PM »
A lot of water has gone over the falls since I was last active on the boards. I built my retirement complex twenty years ago. And was active on the boards for the next ten years. I have constructed more garage space, purchased four more old cars, purchased two new motor home, and lots of travel. Both stateside, and abroad. I took my diesel pusher pulling my Escalate for a 12,000 mile four month trip west to Washington state and parts beyond. Ferrying my big rig far north of Seattle to the Orcas Island. Then going south on scenic US1 to Los Angeles. Being some 65' long was a real treat on the narrow roads and hairpin turns. Talk about white knuckles. Then turning east to New Orleans. Traversing all the states to take in most of the National parks. Before returning to Ohio.

I spent two months between Australia and New Zealand. Two months between Ireland and Scotland. Total three different trips throughout Italy.  Then New Zealand, Scandinavian, Alaska, Caribbean  cruises.

I purchased a new Winnebago 24J on a Mercedes Chassis 18 months ago. I bought it because I couldn't navigate up the three-mile winding driveway to my daughter's new house in the Berkshires. Took me over an hour to back it out.. Hence the need for a shorter coach. Needles to say as soon as I picked up the new coach. Mods were in order. Mercedes comes with a 24 gallon fuel. Though it easily gets 18 MPH, that's a limited travel of 400 miles. So I added a second receiver to the hitch and moved the spare tire on the back with my two bicycles. And installed a second 30 gallon fuel tank. Giving me a range approaching 1,000 mile.. To compensate the added weight. I added helper springs on all four corners. Along with a second sway bar to the front of the rear axle. Along with four new super duty shocks. A total new ballgame. I felt the coach was not safe at any speed the day I picked it up ..

New to me 1985 Chevy K10 pickup. Brought it back to original.

1929 Ford Model A coupe. Upgraded engine, replaced transmission with a four-speed all synchronized later model F150 transmission. With the fourth gear being overdrive, cruises with modern cars...

1931 Ford Model A rumble seat roadster. All original front to back...   

I don't see a garage build section.. Should I post garage updates here?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 03:40:20 PM »
I've certainly missed seeing your content like this!  They all look great.  I remember your posts about constructing the new shops and moving your equipment from one to the other.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 07:46:21 PM »
Disaster strikes OldCarGuy's Toy Shop!

December 14, 2020 bad luck came my way. A massive fire started by my four year old laptop computer. I finished using my garage shop laptop around 8:00 PM. And like most users, I left it plugged in to charge. Then I finished working in the garage attached to my workshop until midnight. Followed by going to bed. I had a dream that I was caught in a fire and woke up at 4:00 AM sharp. At which time there was no sign of a fire. I went down stairs and shut off the furnace. And went through the attached garage that too had no evidence of fire. But when I walked past the steel door to my shop. I could feel the intense heat. There's no way I was going inside the shop. Then went out that garage man door, once outside I could see a huge plume of black smoke billowing well past the second floor of the shop.

I reported the fire on 911 call. Then made my way to turn off the electric in main distribution panel in another garage that's 75' from the shop. Also turned off the main gas lines. Within minutes four police cars appeared. Followed by five huge tanker fire trucks. Though the local fire station is within five miles of my house, my house in the rural area, and there's no fire hydrants. Within minutes two dozen firemen were suited up in in full heat protection gear including face masks and oxygen bottles on their backs... These fine men worked like a well oiled machine. Little on no words between them. Being well trained for the task at hand. Constantly relaying questions to me. In less than an hour they had things under control..

I am a huge fan of our safety forces. And I'm so thankful that they'd risk their lives for me and my property. Heck both the Police and Fire Chief's were there to overlook their men. So it's five o'clock AM and the forces are cleaning up their gear. The Fire Chief knowing that I was home alone. He came my way to comfort me. And acknowledging that I wouldn't get any sleep. But he's leaving two men behind until the morning when the Fire Marshall will be there. Just to keep an eye on the shop in case there's a flareup.

Over the following week, both the Fire Marshall and a private Fire Investigator determined the laptop computer started the fire. Then perpetuated it. And there was nothing that I could have known the damage it could have caused. He made an astonishing and compelling statement. If this would have been any other attached garage in the county. He was quick to say, I would have been killed by the fire and the whole house and five garages would have been burnt to the ground.. He went on to say the choice of fire rated drywall, insulation, windows doors, quality workmanship, etc made all the difference. As there was no damage to the second floor over the shop, the attached garage that shares a 20 foot wall, nor the attached house.

I was totally distraught... This cannot be real. As if I'm dreaming still. Have I dreamed it all? Or could I be simply hemorrhaging inside? For several weeks I made up my mind to shut her down. End this defective gene I've possessed. Sell off all my collection of antique cars, machinery and tools. Maybe just collect stamps.

With all my family insistence. Convincing me that I'd never be happy giving up on my passion. I decided to rebuild Grandpa's Toy Shop! To heights well beyond anything I've had in the past.. Or could dream about....

This should give an idea the damage.

Offline john k

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 10:31:34 PM »
Yes, welcome back.  What I remember of your many shops were the machine tools.   Plus the variety of tool boxes.  Somehow I missed the antique cars, have had a few Ford Model As,  and thinking I have time for another to enjoy.  A shop fire would be devastating, as I once lost an entire home. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2023, 12:49:34 AM »
Welcome back! Of course old members here remember you, your incredible shop, and your interests. We look forward to seeing what you have been up to.  :welcome:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2023, 09:27:34 PM »
From Ashes to "Grandpa's Toy Shop"

Indeed it was a huge loss for me, both monetarily and emotional. The fire occurred December 20, 2020. Both the local Fire Marshall and my insurance company wouldn't give me a go ahead with any repairs, let alone entering the premise. Until all the investigating was finished, because of the expected legal ramifications to the computer company. Unknown to me, the particular model computer has a history of causing fires.

After three months of stalling me, I started in on the fire restoration on my own. So many told me I wasn't capable at my age to the task at hand. My thoughts were I built my garage complex on my own twenty years ago. Just because I'm approaching eighty years old, that's not going to stop me now! Ordered a huge dumpster,, actually four of them. Removed all the burned remains, and took out all the machines and stored them in my other garages or offsite. Then removed all the machinery wiring that was surface mounted in steel conduit. The wires were all melted as one from the high heat. Lastly I removed all the drywall and fiberglass insulation knowing the smoke smell would linger for years.

I took on the task without any outside contracting! And only the help of a single family member. Working seven days a week 10 to 14 hours a day.. After two years I finished the massive project. The results are fantastic!

Below is a shot looking down a row of my equipment. You'll notice on the far wall below my license plate collection is a neon sign, “Grandpa's Toy Shop”.

Offline john k

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2023, 09:58:30 PM »
Wow.   Good for you, regardless of the birthdays. 

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2023, 10:51:07 PM »
OCG, what's to become of this place once you are no longer?  I hope you have a family member or two that can continue on in using these incredible facilities.
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2023, 11:04:53 PM »
Great looking shop!

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2023, 07:06:54 PM »
It's nice to know that I have been remembered. 67Galaxy now that you asked. I have eight children. Six girls and two boys,, along with nineteen grandchildren. It was my parenting responsibility to gift my children with with the gift of responsibility and the wings of independence.. I bestowed on them the importance of hard work and perseverance. All my children have not only have an undergraduate college degree; but Masters Degrees. Half of them have double Masters Degrees,, and one with a Doctorate. I'm the only college dropout in the family! But I saw to it that they didn't need the government to bail them out of debt. I've learned from my parents that you give a person a fish, they'll eat a meal. Teach a person to fish they'll eat for a life time. I figure that I've already gave them their gift, So it's my time to live for me... Anyhow it was their wish that I put their inheritance into my pleasure.

How did I do?

Here's a picture of my grinders, 12" by 24" 3 axis surface grinder, 6" by 18" two axis grinder, Monaset Tool and Cutter Grinder.

Welding area, Stick, MIG, and TIG Welders.

Vertical Bandsaw,, I have always wanted one of these..

Lathe 16" by 40"

Bridgeport clone

I've always wanted a Dake 50 Ton Hydraulic Press.

Radial Drill Press.

The Holy Grail of CNC Milling Machines. Full 3-axis with digitizing and engraving capabilities..

« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 07:11:23 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline 39Tudor

• Addicted to Anything That Takes Quarters!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2023, 10:25:21 PM »
Welcome back OldCarGuy.  The rebuild looks fantastic!
Jerry

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2023, 10:26:22 PM »
Man I don't think there's anything you won't be able to do in that shop! Very nice!

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2023, 02:52:03 PM »

A big Hello from the OldCarGuy exploring the Uk these past three weeks. When I return in another week I’ll post an update of my rebuilding my garage work shop. Here’s three pictures taken along the way. Big Ben in London, a coal fired steam train I road all day out of Broadway, lastly Oxford University in Oxford. Many more places in between. The best part of England are the people. They are very outgoing and always more than willing to land a hand. One such example.. it was Sunday and I leaving Salisbury trying to catch the train. No taxis, busses, nor Ubers were running. One gentleman at the restaurant after overhearing my situation. Volunteered to carry my luggage to the train station on foot for a 30 minute walk to the train station. And refused my offer of a tip. 

One of the big downsides is the price of fuel. Though both gasoline (petro as it’s called here) are the same price but equivalent  to $7.05 per gallon in dollars. OUCH! 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 02:58:11 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2023, 02:57:10 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to post these wonderful vacation pics.

Offline john k

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2023, 03:07:04 PM »
Thanks for the  vacation photos.   I have no difficulty living vicariously through others adventures.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2023, 03:11:40 PM »

It not easy to post pictures of this phone. Let’s see how this short video clip goes. When I travel I always go out of my way to ride coal fired steam trains. Reminds me of my childhood memories from 70 years ago. Smell bring a big part of it. I grew up with homes being heated with coal. And hung out around locomotives. When I traveled to Austrailian the engineer, being an old timer like me, let me take the controls and even shovel the coal. That locomotive was the early 1900’s. While this one is a1950 model. The second locomotive was a 1940 model that I rode on this trip.

Sadly I see the video didn’t work.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 03:15:19 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2023, 09:45:07 PM »
 very cool!

england? those are my people!

my grandparents emigrated from there on my moms side. my sis still has some contact with family there.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline eborcim

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2023, 05:13:26 PM »
OCG, glad to see you are well and doing good.  I remember your escapade with the custom enclosed trailer for your cars. Live longer and prosper more!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2023, 03:18:11 AM »
OCG, glad to see you are well and doing good.  I remember your escapade with the custom enclosed trailer for your cars. Live longer and prosper more!

Thank you sir. Though I don't have the energy of the past. I am still going at it.

You have a good memory about my battle with the ClassAct Trailer company. It had thousands of views, with a few of questionable posters with agendas.  If you care to be entertained here's the link.. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/my-class-act-trailers-structural-integrity-failure.36910/

The bottom line: The ramp door was made by a company called Nappanee Window. That went out of business shortly after I purchased the trailer. I was able to contact the owner, who owned the ramp door patent . Who told me it was not designed for a car hauler! Rather for motorcycles or ATVs. I made the necessary repairs myself. And has no issues for the past 14 years carrying many cars over the door... There's a picture being pulled behind my motor home in this thread...

By the way ClassAct closed their doors within several months of my original posting.

Offline zeke

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2024, 02:08:11 PM »
Bringing back an old thread. I remember the GJ thread on the trailer. I'm reading your current threads here catching up.

Offline RayH

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2024, 03:28:00 PM »
I've just joined GG and recently been enjoying reading OCG  (a recent member) on Machinists Gazette.

OCG's story is astonishing.

Congratulations on your success and I hope you continue to share your shop/automotive/travel activities with us for a long time.

:sign0098:

Now, off to read about the trailer . . .