Author Topic: Lambert bicycles  (Read 3055 times)

Offline bonneyman

Lambert bicycles
« on: June 11, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »
I found a bike in the curbside trash one day. Everything was there, so I grabbed it. Looked like a quality frame, 10-speed. figured it could stand a save.
Turned out to be a Lambert of England. Long story short - a bunch of British aerospace engineers and machinist got laid off in the early 70's. And rather than just let their skills die they decided to form a bike company and use their metallurgical and engineering skills to manufacture bicycles. Made virtually all their own parts. And they designed a built an epoxy-assembled front fork and steerer tube - a first for a production bicycle.
Though they didn't last long (less than 10 years) they made their mark on the cycling world. I ended up restoring the bike and selling it. Don't have digital pics to show - only 35mm prints. Will have to try and get those scanned so I can post them.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Lambert/lambert_bikes.htm

Anything you guys have or know about lambert please post it up.

Offline oldnslo

Re: Lambert bicycles
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:46:59 PM »
Lambert, almost best known in the cycling world for their death fork.However, I digress.

I owned one (new) back in circa '73/74, a very fetching white frame with royal purple lug trim. The frame broke (cracked) on me at the headset without me ever abusing it, and I recall fighting for a frame replacement (as a teen), and eventually getting one from their distributor.

A great feeling to own a new bike at the time, as I was into cycling at an early (and now late) age. No pics....didn't own a camera back then.

Mem'ries....those are all I can share.  :)

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »
I like those pedals.
David

Offline ken w.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »
Didn't the Pickers find a bunch of these on one of their picks ?