Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 181078 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Post all of your latest tool buys here
« on: July 22, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »
This was originally just some screwdrivers I bought but then I bought something else today and posted it here, so I decided to change it.
Now instead of making a thread every time you pick something up, just post it here in this one.

I'm weak, if the local hardware has an American made tool I think I can use I'll buy it.
I'm not one of those " for what it is " types it may be a bit high for what I got but $26 won't break the bank.

Anyways here's what I bought, I didn't have a set of precision screwdrivers besides the little cheapie Stanley's  in my house box.

The butt caps all spin pretty freely , the shanks are all straight and the tips are very well ground.
I don't have tons of experience with precision screwdrivers as I'm no electronics tech or anything but I like them so far.
I'm thinking I'll come up with a rack for these that can attach to my begboard, maybe a piece of pvc with holes In it or something.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:40:09 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Another tool but at the local hardware
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »
Those can really save the day when working on some items. They won't tear up the fasteners like the cheapie ones.

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Another tool but at the local hardware
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 10:29:49 PM »
Those can really save the day when working on some items. They won't tear up the fasteners like the cheapie ones.
The little $3 Stanley sets have been good to me for occasional use, but they're really just good for the price.
These seem miles ahead.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Another tool buy at the local hardware
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 08:58:29 PM »
  Threw together a quick rack for them to sit on my work bench , I had the piece of plastic laying around so I don't really know but it looks a lot like PVC.

anyways they'll go on my workbench when i get cleaned off, I let it become a mess but I'm going to need it to work on a couple vintage airguns sometime next week or so.

Staying clean and organized with me reminds me of a Paul thorn song.
 This pretty much sums it up for me.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »
I needed a punch for something earlier and decided i should go ahead and get a set instead of making do with whatever I've got so I picked these up at the hardware store.

In my limited experience with Dasco punches the backs are soft but the tips are fine, theyre priced  well so that's what I bought.

I also need a set of roll pin punches, but I think I'll splurge next week and spend the $40 on a 12pc set of Mayhews from Cripe distributing.
Since basically all roll pins are hard, I think it'll be worth it to go with the Mayhews.
The Dasco punches won't always be hitting hardened pins I don't imagine so they will be fine, but for airgun roll pins I want something better.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:43:15 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 07:31:15 PM »
It's not perfect but it works.

I had my other punches just sticking out of the pegboard before and they kept falling out.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 05:32:10 PM »
Swung by a yard sale after work and got a good little haul for under $6.

The biggest score of all would be the 4lb TT KLEY WORKS handmade, I'd call it a California but it could also be a Swamping pattern.
 Deputy Cobb told me it wasn't for sale because it came from his father in-law so I didn't push it, I said thank you and started to walk away when he asked how much I'd give him.
I said $10, he said he expected $5, and that was it.
$5 is a great deal, and I'm sure he'd probably be happier to see it rust free hung and appreciated by me than rusting away as a lawn decoration.

Next was my grabs from the dime box, the Stanley 8ft tape , the keychain tape I mostly wanted for the keychain off it, an A Leitz scribing compass, and last but not least the MAC MB2 pocket inspection mirror. I'm thinking Ullman devices but that's just a WAG.

Oh and the Omega Tally counter was I think 50¢, i just thought it was cool.

I also got a unopened  X kites airplane shaped microkite for 5¢ and a faux security camera from a free box.
Yes I know a kite, but they will always be fun  :)

The faux camera takes 3 AA batteries and has a motion sensor to make it blink and scan back and forth when someone is near.
When I was a kid we had one and when these kids were throwing water balloons at our house one day I told them it was an experimental military camera with Lazer beams and tracking software and all this stuff, needless to say they stopped throwing the water balloons  ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 05:40:43 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 04:02:47 PM »
you did well. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 11:59:15 PM »
you did well.
I'm definitely happy.
Oh and my suspicion was right, this MAC inspection mirror is a dead ringer for a UDC B2.
It just screamed Ullman to me.

The Kelly handmade cleaned up pretty well to, some carbon scale built up in a couple spots from the thick rust it had but i'm fine with that because shiny and new looking is for chromed tools and tools that actually are shiny and brand new.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 12:07:23 AM »
I'll have to get a picture tomorrow, but today I bought a rubber sanding block and a 5pc " HYPER TOUGH " file set from Wal-Mart.
They're Chicom of course but they were only $9 and are very well cut and sharp.
If I knew of any files still US made that I could afford I'd buy them, but darn if cheap tools haven't come a long way in 20-30 years.
I know when I was a kid I was given an old cheap Japanese made file set and they were horrible, some were barely cut at all.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 08:36:21 PM »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 10:08:38 PM »
Nice grabs for a good price on those useful bits.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 08:29:51 PM »
I didn't get off work in time to go to the Roseville swap meet, besides it was probably too hot anyways.

Well at least I had a decent score at Goodwill.
I got a dovetail saw for $3, two more American made leather belts ( passed on a US made Nordstrom's belt that was actually very nice but just a bit too dressy for my taste ) and a Stanley  #131A push driver.

I was on my way to check out when I found the Yankee driver on the floor   :-\
For $4 I couldn't pick it up fast enough.
The one driver bit it does have is very pristine either from seeing little use or just being made of excellent steel.
One belt is more worn that I really realized but can probably be an airgun sling or at the very least a knife strop.
The other I'm wearing right now, maybe it's another weakness of mine but I've been picking up any American made leather belts I can find.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:35:00 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 09:50:48 AM »
I almost forgot, my mom also gave me a small electric pressure washer she found on sale last year but realized she just didn't have much use for it.
It's a Hyper Tough from Walmart so it's nothing fancy, I have been thinking a small pressure washer might come in handy.
I'll probably test it out on the driveway after work.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 08:37:20 PM »
got a pair of the newest Channellocks for work