Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 687533 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2775 on: May 07, 2023, 02:19:49 PM »
Great job with the youngster Muddy. He's learning tons of stuff helping out.

I always thought my right hand hated my left hand. Between the screwdriver stabbings and the hammer whacks it was pretty obvious, the right was always the aggressor.

Yup, totally agree with that. Although being a southpaw, the left was the aggressor. Hang in there Tim, have a cold beverage and relax for the day; you now have a good excuse.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2776 on: May 08, 2023, 08:05:23 AM »
Hopefully Sam is learning a few things not to do as well :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #2777 on: May 09, 2023, 09:58:09 PM »
Hopefully Sam is learning a few things not to do as well :))
I hope he's learning, just wish I didn't have so many examples to give him :))

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline muddy

« Reply #2778 on: May 14, 2023, 07:35:55 PM »
Saturday we put down mulch. Then we went to a local amusement park.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2779 on: May 14, 2023, 07:39:22 PM »
Changed the spark plugs in the van. Why do engineers gotta over complicate things?!

Also put hf socket trays in my tool cart. Saves a lot more room then the past style I had in there.

Ging to keep the unpack sockets on the grab and go rail boards and hang them on the peg board wall in the garage. Gonna cruise flea bay and places for inexpensive 1/ chrome sockets.

Then I had to go buy a suit. Why I have to wear a suit to a wedding I'm not in is behind me!!!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 07:41:11 PM by muddy »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2780 on: May 18, 2023, 05:07:16 AM »
Well an interesting start to the morning yesterday.  Walked out to my ute to go to work, pushed the button on the remote and nothing happened. I unlocked the door with the key to find I had left the headlights on the night before. I went and got my jump pack, hoping it would have some charge in it. It did make the dash lights light up but that was about all. I think my ten year old Supercheap (HarborFreight) jump pack has finally died. While I waited for the AA to turn up I investigated why the headlight alarm didn't work. I quickly found the door switch was sticking. I tried the rear one and that one was a bit sticky as well. The rear passenger side one was in good condition, so I swapped it to the driver's door location. Not long after the AA mechanic turned up and jump started me. I checked the operation of the headlight alarm when I turned the ute off at work and it was OK. I don't know why Nissan has the headlights turn off on the key like Mitsubishi, our work vehicles, do.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 05:09:15 AM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2781 on: May 19, 2023, 12:49:41 AM »
Well that will wake you up twenty minutes before knock off on a Friday, NEMA Emergency Mobile Alert going off on both my work phone and my own phone, as well as every phone in the office with a tsunami warning. There has been a 7.7 magnitude earthquake at the Loyalty Islands, by New Caledonia, that has triggerd a tsunami wave headed our way. There is unlikely to be an actual damaging wave but there are "likely to be strong currents and surges can injure and drown people. There is a danger to swimmers, surfers, people fishing, small boats and anyone in or near the water close to shore".

I sit beside one of our costal engineers so get expert interpretation of events, including getting pointed to the best public domian data. Below is the plot off a DART bouy (Deep-ocean Assessment and Reporting of Tsunami) southwest of New Caledonia. The wave is only about 5" high, tsunami waves aren't very high until they get to shallow water. This bouy, DART NZJ, is moored in water 1,900m/6300' deep. The time on the graph is UTC. On the map the triangles are DART bouys. The white ones are unfortuantely inoperative.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 12:53:58 AM by Rural53 »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2782 on: May 19, 2023, 09:03:44 AM »
Stay safe Rural

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2783 on: May 19, 2023, 05:42:20 PM »
Warning was canceled about 9pm last night. There was no reports of tide surge etc here. In New Caledonia and Vanuatu  there was tide surge up to 2.5 feet.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2784 on: May 26, 2023, 06:24:51 PM »
What a difference a day makes.

This time yesterday from office lunch room.

This is morning on the way to Rotorua.

Lake Rotoiti. The guy on the right was cleaning two trout he had caught nymphing in the inlet channel from Lake Rotorua.

What I was actually doing working on a Saturday morning, cement stabilizing at the roundabout we are building.

Cement spreading

Hoe/stabiliser

Nuclear densometer (nuke) to determine compaction.

The process. Middle left - spread the cement. Left -  hoe the cement into the aggregate. Middle right - compact with sheepsfoot roller initially. Right - finish compaction with smooth drum rollers, first high amplitude vibration then low amplitude vibration. The nuke is being used for a plateau test to determine rolling sequence to get maximum density.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 06:27:13 PM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2785 on: May 30, 2023, 12:43:57 AM »
These guys went passed while we were working.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2786 on: May 30, 2023, 12:46:08 AM »
When I left site I drove out of the fog two miles down the road!

Offline muddy

« Reply #2787 on: May 30, 2023, 07:49:58 PM »
That 64 wagon!!

Offline muddy

« Reply #2788 on: June 16, 2023, 09:46:12 PM »
Going over the bike for inspection (yeah, on Tuesday Nothing like waiting last minute)

New tire. Figured since I had the caliper off I'll put new brakes pads in the front. Rear brakes need new pads anyway so they'll get done too. 

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2789 on: June 17, 2023, 04:40:30 PM »
Unmounted an undermount epoxied on sink. Ohh...joy.

Not