Author Topic: Model Train layout  (Read 18882 times)

Offline muddy

Model Train layout
« on: January 30, 2020, 09:00:55 PM »
Last weekend I built the table for my 3' x 6' N scale model Train layout I'm going to be putting together.

Made out of 2 x 4s it's a bit overkill, but that's how I build things lol

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 10:56:27 PM by muddy »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Model Train layout
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 09:49:45 PM »
muddy,

You want, need models rolling stock, all well detailed, weathered, first class stuff. Selling off my layout

Here is a quick example of what is up for grabs.

No worry I can work with you, get you and your son started . What is the theme, freight, passenger, city, country side, industrial?

cheers,

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:53:27 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 11:01:48 PM »
Pep

My plan is a freight (mostly lumber, coal, grain, livestock, etc) small town. So mostly cattle cars hopper bottoms flat beds etc.

I'm including a grist mill, a farm house,  hardware store and a "main street" with several businesses.

What scale is your layout looks more like HO?

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:53:33 AM »
You are seeing N scale, the layout was published in a magazine.

How about this 35$ + shipping everything seen, does not come with the ground cover LOL

If you like email:
 greg.pepitone@comcast.net

Will send pictures, I have , have just about everything mentioned, except cattle cars.

pep

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 01:59:17 PM »
Oh heck yeah, I will be following this. I never had but always wanted.  :cool2:
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline ron350

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 02:41:04 PM »
Pep that looks so real very impressive.

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 03:44:16 PM »
Wow it's shame to tear all that out.....but I'll take it!

Email sent!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 05:00:29 PM »
Nice Grab Mudds ... on ya Pep.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 09:34:23 PM »
Layed the plywood and foam base. 3/8" plywood with 2" foam glued on top. 2" will give me good depth for some streams and valleys. (The stuff on top was to help the glue set....and it was an empty flat surface lol)

Going to mock up some track this weekend.

russian photo hosting site

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 09:29:25 PM »
Mocked up track tonight. May have to rethink my layout as it's a bit tighter then was initially thinking. Right now it's the basic n-6 from the Atlas plan book.

Need to pick up a few more switches to fill in the inside and add a few custom lines yet.

[url=https://postimages.org/]

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:33:50 PM by muddy »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 06:57:03 AM »
 Good choice that is the same track plan I used for a layout. 2 track main line is perfect, it also started on a 4 x 8. After some fun, opened one end of the loop. Added another sheet, became and L, some curves doubled the main line. That is going to be fun, you will be very glad having 2 main lines.

pep

Mocked up track tonight. May have to rethink my layout as it's a bit tighter then was initially thinking. Right now it's the basic n-6 from the Atlas plan book.

Need to pick up a few more switches to fill in the inside and add a few custom lines yet.

[url=https://postimages.org/]

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »
That plan will work as long as you run shorter cars and trains. What era are you planning and running diesel or steam?

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 09:07:28 AM »
That plan will work as long as you run shorter cars and trains. What era are you planning and running diesel or steam?
Yes lol. I'm running transition period. One steam loco and a diesel switcher....for now

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 09:37:32 AM »
I was never a wood worker, nor do i have any skills in that craft, but one of my lifelong dreams was to make an N scale coffee table layout with a glass top and two line operation. I saw such a layout at a train show in Germany once and fell in love with the idea. When we get resettled into a new home i will try my hand at it. I already have two N scale train packs in storage. I bought two complete KATO trains sets many years ago for for $10ea when KB Toys went out of business.

So the dream of that coffee table has been a long time coming. The train sets are in their original shrink wrapped packages, but are decades old.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 10:11:42 AM »
I was never a wood worker, nor do i have any skills in that craft, but one of my lifelong dreams was to make an N scale coffee table layout with a glass top and two line operation. I saw such a layout at a train show in Germany once and fell in love with the idea. When we get resettled into a new home i will try my hand at it. I already have two N scale train packs in storage. I bought two complete KATO trains sets many years ago for for $10ea when KB Toys went out of business.

So the dream of that coffee table has been a long time coming. The train sets are in their original shrink wrapped packages, but are decades old.

That was quite a score on the Kato sets as those aren't cheap. I had a 4x8' layout in N scale and used HO under the Christmas tree but no layout now. Still have all the train stuff packed in boxes.