Author Topic: Model Train layout  (Read 18884 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Model Train layout
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2020, 12:16:27 AM »
I only ordered it from Amazon because that was the link I saw. I was quite surprised it got here so fast.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2020, 10:10:40 PM »
Roofers worked all day to get done. Now they can have tomorrow off.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2022, 09:58:19 PM »
Holy smokes, really two years since I've touched this project??!! This winter I'm getting back to it.

Put the windows in the mill tonight. Need to start thinking of a name for the mill....

I'm thinking 30s-40s era so probably a Co-op of some sort....

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2022, 09:15:14 AM »
Muddworthington's flour mill.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2022, 12:55:57 PM »
Lookin' good Tim. I'm sure Sam is at the age where this hobby is very appealing and fun -- especially when dad can join in as well.

Offline muddy

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2022, 09:38:11 PM »
"Hung" the doors tonight. Some reason the kit only came with 4. So it's not the top one open. Actually a common sight in real mills for some reason

Offline muddy

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2022, 09:38:49 PM »
Lookin' good Tim. I'm sure Sam is at the age where this hobby is very appealing and fun -- especially when dad can join in as well.
He's definitely into watching them run. I think I'm going to see if he's interested in helping with the grain elevator.

Offline muddy

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2023, 09:48:38 PM »
Well looking at this thread it's been about 2 years since I touched the lay out. It's just been setting being used as a flat surface for junk and dust.

But I moved it back over to the "work" area of the basement.

Last night I pinned the track in place. The double loop is the mainstay of the layout. The inner and outer spurs and turnouts are still up for debate in my head.

Tonight I traced the track for prep in laying road bed. I found this sharpie works well for tracing the track. Place the end of the gray part on the rail and follow around and it's the perfect distance for the road bed I'm using.

Offline muddy

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2023, 06:59:17 PM »
Some progress this weekend. Got the foam road bed laid. I went with foam for noise reduction and the fact its pretty much good for life. I used liquid nails projects for the adhesive.

Cork bed has been used for years and is still used and a viable option. However its a bit more work to lay and over time will dry up and get hard and deteriorate. It is also known to transfer noise into to the layout. However with a foam sub road bed that probably wouldn't have been a problem for me.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2023, 02:02:31 PM »
Winter is a great time to build a layout... :great:
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2023, 10:59:43 PM »
The "mainline" or loops got glued in place tonight.

I didn't glue the switches(turnouts) as after playing with a few of them, I found some of them need replacing. They were a lot I had gotten off eBay when I first started this project. So who knows how old they are. Some of them are metal housing and made in Austria.

I learned a trick to cut a few ties back at the jointers. This way I can slide the jointers back and take the switches out for replacement.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 11:02:36 PM by muddy »

Offline muddy

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2023, 11:19:14 AM »
Went to a local meet yesterday. Not much for N scale. If you needed Lionel or HO scale you would be set.

Anyway I found this locomotive for $5. A Life Like  The chassis is a bit bowed which is why it was so cheap. However when I got it home it runs good on the track I made for the kids. So I don't think I'm going to worry about it much. Not sure if I'm going to convert this to DCC or not. Might just leave it for the kids circle track and it's a lower grade locomotive. Overall I think it's definitely worth $5!

Also found two switches for $5 each.

how to do a screenshot on a pc

Offline muddy

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2023, 09:49:10 PM »
MOW (Maintenance Of Way, rail road term) came and laid the yard track bed tonight....

Offline muddy

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2023, 09:45:32 PM »
Got the yard track,  and track to engine house laid. Also installed the ground throws style switch controls. Some of the older switches have a different style throw bar that didn't place nicely with the ground throws.  So they may need to be replaced over time we shall see

Offline muddy

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2023, 08:58:47 PM »
Well track is pretty much all laid. Had a change of plans. Instead of and engine house, I'm going to have a coal dealer on the siding. So I dug a pit for the coal elevator.

These tracks could also be tied into an expansion one day (Woah Tim slow down let's keep working on this one! :)) )

This is going to be more of a "switching" layout. Definitely freelance.

Next project will be wiring.