Author Topic: Some sanity for the current situation  (Read 12513 times)

Offline bonneyman

Some sanity for the current situation
« on: March 12, 2020, 07:07:49 PM »
With all the fear-mongering going on in the news (one can't get any real info from the main stream media) I thought I'd start a thread that might give some comfort and advice to my forum buds and anybody else willing to read on.

Disclaimer: I am no medical professional. "I'm a mechanic - not a doctor, Jim!" What I offer here is some of the things I've done and continue to do as this crisis unfolds. (Will these step guarantee safety? No. Hopefully you'll be able to beat the odds if you're careful and meticulous). Take it FWIW - anybody's opinions or advice would be a welcome addition.

Seems to me from all I've read from reliable sources that avoiding big crowds is the number one thing to do. I'm not going to go into lockdown at my house (though I have tons of fun projects to keep me busy!), but on the other hand I ain't going to go to any movie theaters or concerts any time soon. I'm prudent but not paranoid. Probably will avoid eating out much as well. You don't know if the staff is not feeling well but didn't stay home cause "I can't afford it!".  :38: So, they can afford getting you sick? No thanks.

Face masks IMHO won't stop virus-sized particles. So, trying to stop from getting infected with a mask is probably a waste of time. The pores in most masks aren't fine enough to filter out the thing, and most cheapo masks don't fit well enough  (or people don't wear them properly). Heck, doctors overseas have died while working around sick patients while in HAZMAT suits, so.
I'd use a gas mask. After a bad landfill fire some years ago and awful smelling stuff drifting to my house (2-3 miles away) I invested in some military surplus gas masks. The filters will stop gas molecules - they should stop virus particles.

If things get any worse I'll start wearing neoprene gloves when I go out in public (and just toss them when going back private). (I think it's better than applying hand sanitizer a hundred times a day). And public restrooms are out - in an emergency I spray sanitizer on the seat and try not to sit down!
If you don't have any commercial hand sanitizer, suitable chemicals to make your own disinfectant would be any alcohol-containing product (witch hazel, mouthwash, washing machine sanitizer, chlorox or pool chloronizer, etc.). Try medical supply stores - I'm betting those are under most peoples radar right now. These are for surfaces - not your hands. Most people don't know enough chemistry to do this, so, most of the alternative products will probably be available when the sanitizer and wipes are long gone.
For skin use I'd use a disinfectant soap or try and get some of the disinfectant triclosan (the active ingredient in most antiseptic human products). Though it's an anti-bacterial (not anti-viral) it won't directly kill the bug but will help mitigate the odds. One could try a home-made bar soap. Many of those tend to run overly alkaline (for cleaning purposes or sloppy production) and that will kill viruses.

Since the virus is air-borne, I use a nasal flush like the NeilMed system and an eye wash regimen like Bausch and Lomb. Kind odd getting used to the nasal flush, but once you're over the hump it's really not that bad. It really helps flush out contaminants - I think it's worth a try.

And I REALLY recommend you stay away from hospitals. Elective surgery should be postponed if possible. (Visitation is out unless you have a family member). Remember, all the poor sick people flock to the ER - a hospital is the last place I wanna be! And if this thing gets as bad as they're "predicting", hospital staff is going to be exhausted and supplies will be low - being there won't guarantee you get treatment.

More to come!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:19:04 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Some sanity for the current situation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 10:24:42 PM »
When I went into Walmart yesterday (and the supermarket today), I saw first hand the decimated shelves. So I immediately started thinking about alternatives.

First was the Dollar store near me. They had an ample supply of toilet paper, but only one register opened and a LONG line with customers and overflowing carts. pass!

Though it might go against the "don't go to community events" rule, estate sales and thrift stores would probably be a good place to hunt for supplies. We're all pretty much used to that, so, 'nuff said!Getting through a lean time will probably require a generous stash of food and water, but if your the prepper type you're probably already ahead on that. Though a long break in the supply chain (6 months or more) will probably deplete all but the most ardent prepper's.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 05:56:43 AM »
I don't understand this run on toilet paper.  Are people afraid they're going to be quarantined at home for months and aren't going to be able to wipe their rears?
boop/bop/beep

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 07:55:49 AM »
I don't have gas masks, but masks my wife and I used when spraying in our nursery with restricted pesticides. In addition to the charcoal and mixed filters they have a particle filter on the outside.  I think these will work.  When I recently walked into the grocery store with one of these masks on people nearly did back flips.  It was only a test, but almost everyone stayed away from me.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 10:23:45 AM »
Went to the grocery store this morning to get some extra groceries.  Given the hysteria, I figured it might not be a bad idea to have some extra food on hand.  Since the kids are gone, we have little in the freezer and I tend to shop 2 or 3 times a week as the grocery store is within a mile of the house so we have no stockpile.  My goal was to have a weeks worth of food, figuring I will still shop as normal while having a little extra just in case.

Well the store was quite busy and it is normally dead on Friday mornings.  And other folks I talked to have said the same about all the grocery stores.

No toilet paper at all, few paper towels.  Spaghetti sauce and frozen pizza was thin and frozen orange juice was nonexistent or I just missed it. 

Regular hamburger was gone but the better stuff was there.

While the stores will love this boom, they will be slow for a bit when things settle down 

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 10:54:58 AM »
Take away their electricity, plant some doubt and suspicion, and the rest takes care of itself.

Twilight Zone, The Monsters are Due on Maple Street
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 11:23:32 AM »
It's quite strange at the stores considering what items are out. TP, tuna, disinfectant wipes, hand sanitizer. Most other things as far as I've seen are just fine. I'd figure canned foods and rice and flour would be totally gone. But nope.

Having done several diets (Atkins, Ornish, pure vegetarian, no sugar, and others) I've amassed quite a bit of knowledge on what works for me when needing alternatives. Even though now I'm mostly vegetarian i use things that I discovered on some of the diets that fit right in with the current eating, taste good, and are available. While people are making a run on certain foods I go for the alternatives and find plenty.

Meat substitutes: For chicken - Quorn     https://www.quorn.us/
                          For ground beef and chicken strips - LightLean   https://lightlife.com/

As far as commercial burgers go the new Impossible Burger at Burger King has become a fav.

Baking substitute: For wheat flour I've found soy flour works well (though with last years flooded soy crop the availability has dried up alot)     
Both Bob's Red Mill  https://www.bobsredmill.com/  and Sprouts https://www.sprouts.com/  used to have soy flour offerings but they seem to have discontinued them in my area. You might be luckier.
I've also found the local health foods stores (and places like Whole Foods  https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/  and Natural Grocers  https://www.naturalgrocers.com/) offer meatless substitutes also. Makes for multiple stops on shopping day but one can find stuff to eat that most consumers pass by. Admittedly since Amazon bought Whole Foods the mood there has definitely taken a nose dive.

Most restaurants have vegetarian options these days, so, cutting back on meat doesn't mean rabbit food only. The Chinese, Indian, Mediterranean, Pizza, and mom and pops all have meat less options. Plus Vegan restaurants have some tasty stuff.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:26:47 AM by bonneyman »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 11:34:22 AM »
One of my suppliers whose products come from both Italy and China sent this email out.  Basically says that there has been little disruption in the supply chain at this time with is comforting.

Hello Veloci Dealers,

We would like to take a moment and address the topic that’s been dominating the news cycles…Coronavirus. As you may have seen, both China and Italy are being hit hard by the virus. Veloci has suppliers in both China and Italy. Thankfully, our suppliers in those countries have not been largely affected by the spread of the virus. To date, we have seen little to no impact on their abilities to meet product manufacturing and ship times.

To ensure we have current information, we have been talking with the managers of these factories daily. Based off their feedback, we currently don’t expect any supply chain disruptions. In China, 100% of our products are meeting their normal manufacturing and ship times. In Italy, the businesses and people are working as usual. The Italian government has instituted a nationwide quarantine, but this doesn’t apply to business activities. The quarantine is an attempt to reduce social gatherings with the goal of slowing down the spread of the virus. Our ability to meet your orders has shown that we have reliable suppliers during this uncertain period in our economy.

At this moment, we do not have any reason to expect this to change. We know how important it is for Veloci to have reliable supplies for your businesses. Now, more than ever, cleaning and sanitation are under a microscope. The products we all supply are being looked at to help fight this global virus which continues to dominate headlines.

Offline highland512

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 01:12:31 PM »
I think we are living through the biggest "fake" news story. Look at the stats, yes people get sick, yes people will die, and yes it is contagious. All at lower rates lower than the common flu. This entire thing is  :spam:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 03:07:16 PM »
I was down to a half tank of gas in the truck so I ran down to town to fill up. I figured since it was mentioned to have a full gas tank by the authorities I better get some before everybody ran down to fill every container and vehicle they have. ::)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 04:33:06 PM »
Well crap!! :character0029: :character0029: somebody needs to put a stop to this fake pandemic BS right now. When the World of Outlaws sprint car series is cancelled things are just getting out of hand :character0029: :c002: :character0029:

Last year it was the weather, this year its the corona faux virus.... I was on my way and they cancelled, both times! :c002:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 04:39:33 PM »
Well crap!! :character0029: :character0029: somebody needs to put a stop to this fake pandemic BS right now. When the World of Outlaws sprint car series is cancelled things are just getting out of hand :character0029: :c002: :character0029:

Last year it was the weather, this year its the corona faux virus.... I was on my way and they cancelled, both times! :c002:

Can the virus even survive with all the exhaust and beer fumes? :party0036:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 05:09:38 AM »
Yep, 2 great swap meets are canceled for today  :03: :c002: :38: :a102:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 07:49:45 AM »
Be glad they cancelled it. This isn't the flu, but more like SARS. People my age (over 60) are especially vulnerable and can be hit devastatingly hard. Higher fevers than regular flu, more congestion and lung constriction, greater aches and pain, and a much longer recovery period. Plus, the damn virus remains active in recovered patients. Meaning they can be fully recovered and feel absolutely great, while in reality they are still very highly infectious.

It truly is a zombie-like infection -- perfectly healthy looking people without any symptoms can be the carriers and infect everyone around them.   

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 09:57:28 AM »

Yeah that stinks, but I've been re-evaluating my tool hunts considering what's going on. Prudent not paranoid.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 10:00:52 AM »
Be glad they cancelled it. This isn't the flu, but more like SARS. People my age (over 60) are especially vulnerable and can be hit devastatingly hard. Higher fevers than regular flu, more congestion and lung constriction, greater aches and pain, and a much longer recovery period. Plus, the damn virus remains active in recovered patients. Meaning they can be fully recovered and feel absolutely great, while in reality they are still very highly infectious.

It truly is a zombie-like infection -- perfectly healthy looking people without any symptoms can be the carriers and infect everyone around them.

Yeah, from all the available reports it sure sounds like this virus is a real doozy.

And there are people out there who want to infect Trump supporters, and just read where young people are calling the virus the "boomer remover" as it affects mainly older folks. It's really getting bad with all this rhetoric, hating people just because they vote a certain way or are a certain age so they need to die off. Disgusting.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 10:26:44 AM »

Yeah that stinks, but I've been re-evaluating my tool hunts considering what's going on. Prudent not paranoid.

My daughter went to breakfast this morning with a friend of hers. The place is one of the most popular breakfast restaurants in the area and is always jam-packed with customers and waiting lines of at least 30-40 minutes on average. This morning she walked right in and they were immediately served. She said the place was as dead as a mortuary.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »
How long before these idiots make a run on the banks?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »
Are the numbers wrong? Just read the latest death toll of 5000 world wide. I don’t want to make light of that but the swine flu killed  500,000. Tom hanks seems fine and I’m seeing more and more of people above 60s who went through the sickness and 14 day quarantine and said it wasn’t anything. I’m not sure what to believe, but I know without question, that if we keep drastically changing our normal lives and purchasing habits, our economy will tank worse than the 30s depression and will not recover for many many years. To be honest, I would rather be dead than broke. I am not changing my habits except for using some hand sanitizer when I remember to. I am not trying to get sick, but I’m not going to fear it. If the Lord calls me up , so be it.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
The numbers of deaths are somewhat known.  The Fatality rate is an estimate.   What is also known is that no one has any immunity to this.  That means that unless drastic measures are taken to stop it, EVERYONE will get it.  Think about that.  Is a fatality rate of 1% of the entire worlds population OK with you?  Maybe it will only be 1/2 of one percent.  That OK?

It is more contagious than FLU.
It has a higher fatality rate than Flu.
No one has any immunity to it.

This is a math problem.  It will grow and spread until EVERYONE gets sick.  Most will recover and then have immunity.  Some of the recovered will have long term lung damage.  Millions will DIE.

Don't believe me?  Look up the history of Native Americans and Smallpox.  This is worse.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 01:18:15 PM »
It is also now thought that warm weather will not stop the spread like the Flu.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 02:05:13 PM by RustFarmer »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 04:05:15 PM »
How long before these idiots make a run on the banks?

That's why I like tangible assets. Like the old saying, "Beans, bacon, and bullets". Or something like that.

And a good buddy "network" is important. I wish mine were bigger, but you work with what you've got.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 04:07:26 PM by bonneyman »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 04:58:04 PM »
We've had the TP and water mad house at the stores. Everyone is gearing up for a years worth of crapping anyways.  Today went to town and noticed that all of the restraunts were full and Homey depot was packed. even harbor freight was crowded. Guess all them folks forgot about the plague headed their way.  :lol_hitting:

I did buy a Bauer porta band from harbor freight, $89. Out of respect to the plague I did let the case air out before I unwrapped the tool.  :lol_hitting:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 06:52:31 PM »
Harbor Freight should be safe. Even the coronovirus doesn't like that smell!  :))

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 07:06:06 PM »
We've had the TP and water mad house at the stores. Everyone is gearing up for a years worth of crapping anyways.  Today went to town and noticed that all of the restraunts were full and Homey depot was packed. even harbor freight was crowded. Guess all them folks forgot about the plague headed their way.  :lol_hitting:

I did buy a Bauer porta band from harbor freight, $89. Out of respect to the plague I did let the case air out before I unwrapped the tool.  :lol_hitting:

Let us know how you like that saw, from what I have seen people like them.
MAGA

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2020, 08:38:28 PM »
Now all the ski resorts around Lake Tahoe in the Sierras have suspended operations for at least 8 days. That is sure to upset people as there is supposed to be about 4' of new snow over the next 4-5 days. The madness continues......

Offline muddy

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 08:21:17 AM »

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2020, 08:37:21 AM »
MAGA

Offline walrus

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2020, 08:37:41 AM »
Now all the ski resorts around Lake Tahoe in the Sierras have suspended operations for at least 8 days. That is sure to upset people as there is supposed to be about 4' of new snow over the next 4-5 days. The madness continues......
Same in New Hampshire and Vermont. Not in Maine yet.

Offline walrus

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 08:41:51 AM »
Ok it's time to panic.....

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/across-pa/pa-state-wine-liquor-stores-close-amid-coronavirus-outbreak

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Holy Moly! That seems a bit over the top. It'll just force people to move about and drive to other locations to get their alcoholic beverages. Beer/wine/booze is flying of the shelves here in the Virginia side of DC. Costco and Walmart are keeping up with the supply, but it's getting harder to find the niche brands. Our VA state liquor stores are also busting at the seams with inventory -- except for cheap vodka and grain alcohol, everything is in stock.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »
Cheap vodka and grain alcohol ? just different sanitizers? some of that stuff works better from the insides out... just saying.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2020, 10:02:04 AM »
Cheap vodka and grain alcohol ? just different sanitizers? some of that stuff works better from the insides out... just saying.

Yup -- that's what people are being told. Use the cheap booze for disinfectant. Grain alcohol is a great disinfectant, but the cheap vodka has been shown to be suspect. Apparently the virus can withstand low levels of alcohol -- AND might even thrive in certain alcohol mixes.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2020, 10:31:34 AM »

Yup -- that's what people are being told. Use the cheap booze for disinfectant. Grain alcohol is a great disinfectant, but the cheap vodka has been shown to be suspect. Apparently the virus can withstand low levels of alcohol -- AND might even thrive in certain alcohol mixes.

The cheap booze is generally 80 proof which means 40% alcohol and too weak to sanitize. I think it has to be at least 50% alcohol.

Offline walrus

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2020, 11:20:04 AM »

The cheap booze is generally 80 proof which means 40% alcohol and too weak to sanitize. I think it has to be at least 50% alcohol.
60% to work

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2020, 11:30:24 AM »
If you're wondering about why Italy got hit so hard with the Coronavirus -- here is the most likely explanation. Chinese New Year many Chinese expats in Italy went home for the holiday -- then came back home to Italy and spread the infection. Why are there so many Chinese in Italy -- read the post. Northern Italian industry is riddled with Chinese companies.

I'm not saying this is the cause, just a good theory that has yet to be disproven. I've visited the area and there are a lot of Chinese workers in these areas. What I didn't know (and subsequently verified with friends in Europe), many Italian textile and fashion brands do employ cheap Chinese "guest workers" to work in factories that were purchased by overseas Chinese investors.

https://twitter.com/DVATW/status/1238073137813749762
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:34:31 AM by goodfellow »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2020, 12:24:08 PM »
If you're wondering about why Italy got hit so hard with the Coronavirus -- here is the most likely explanation. Chinese New Year many Chinese expats in Italy went home for the holiday -- then came back home to Italy and spread the infection. Why are there so many Chinese in Italy -- read the post. Northern Italian industry is riddled with Chinese companies.

I'm not saying this is the cause, just a good theory that has yet to be disproven. I've visited the area and there are a lot of Chinese workers in these areas. What I didn't know (and subsequently verified with friends in Europe), many Italian textile and fashion brands do employ cheap Chinese "guest workers" to work in factories that were purchased by overseas Chinese investors.

https://twitter.com/DVATW/status/1238073137813749762

I just read something like that this morning. The Milan area brought in a bunch of Wuhan Chinese to work in their leather factories, and that's the vector of infection.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2020, 04:56:32 PM »
Thank you china. I hope when this is all over the world remembers.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2020, 06:25:33 AM »
It could have started anywhere.  If anything, the world is lucky it started in China, because their repressive Government was able to get it under control by trampling civil rights.  China did not react soon enough, the USA didn't either.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2020, 08:51:56 AM »
I have heard theories that it started in research facility, like a chemical weapon facility.  No idea if this is true but if it is, China needs to be dealt with. 

Yes I know this is conspiracy theory fodder, so I put little into it but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2020, 09:22:55 AM »
I have heard theories that it started in research facility, like a chemical weapon facility.  No idea if this is true but if it is, China needs to be dealt with. 

Yes I know this is conspiracy theory fodder, so I put little into it but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Typical reaction in a crisis situation. Theories abound and the influence of social media quickly makes it go viral. Fact is we just don't know, and China won't let the WHO and the US CDC into those areas to find out. Actions that ironically further feed the conspiracy theory machine.

Time to watch the market crash and try to figure out some bargain hunting strategies. Should be an interesting day -- staying calm and collected on a beautiful sunny day with a strong cup of Italian coffee and a good mid-day cigar. Hope everyone of our GG friends are doing well and staying healthy. 

Offline highland512

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2020, 10:00:31 AM »
Im thinking its a good time to refinance the house!!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2020, 10:24:41 AM »
Im thinking its a good time to refinance the house!!

Darn right! Any outstanding loans should be bundled together and refinanced at this time.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2020, 11:24:48 AM »
I tried it last week but not enough to gain.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2020, 07:51:31 PM »
I`m waiting for a land price crash then WY bound.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2020, 07:55:15 PM »
china held back letting the world know then the guy that said something died (prolly lead poisoning).

Didn`t Trump try and close things down earlier but was branded a racist by the demutards?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »
china held back letting the world know then the guy that said something died (prolly lead poisoning).

Didn`t Trump try and close things down earlier but was branded a racist by the demutards?

Yeah, he didn't shut things down at first and he was called uncaring - and then shuts things down and is called a dictator. No pleasing the libtards - so my feeling is why try?

• Ran when parked
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2020, 10:44:48 PM »
I`m waiting for a land price crash then WY bound.

Are you renting now?
boop/bop/beep

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2020, 08:51:48 PM »
Na living in my place, no rush to sell.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2020, 09:48:52 PM »
Went to Wallyworld today to pick up the items I normally grab each week. Parking lot wasn't crazy, plenty of carts, no long lines to be seen when I walked in. Hmm, could mean no huge crowds. Then found out why - many aisles were stripped bare! i calmly walked around, grabbing those items I needed that they did have.
While in line, an older couple behind me said "it wasn't this bad during WW2!" I said I wasn't alive in WW2, but they said they were. And they were shocked. And blamed the TV!

Strolling through the shaving section I wondered if aftershave would prove a good disinfectant. As I recall the A/S's I use are 60-65% alcohol SD40. I use this bay Rum from Puerto Rico that's about that much alcohol, and I have about a quart. So, this could be another alternative to hand sanitizer - and you'd smell good!

https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Alcohol-11-8-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B00A2AZ97M