Author Topic: Hi from Stanardsville VA  (Read 9202 times)

Offline USAF93

Hi from Stanardsville VA
« on: August 24, 2018, 06:07:33 PM »
My family just moved from Hampton VA to Stanardsville VA just north of Charlottesville VA.  I had a nice size 2 car detached garage in Hampton and no garage in Stanardsville.....yet.  Once the Hampton house sells the plan is to build a garage.  I'm hunting around for things to consider when building.  Better to think of it ahead of time!!  I know for sure I want block and not stick.  It's so peaceful up in the mountains I want to keep my noise to a minimum.  Plus, I plan to heat the space in the winter with a pellet stove and I think block is better insulated.  I'm also putting in a 4 post lift so my concrete will have to be pretty thick.  I have a 2 post at the Hampton house and its been nice but I really like 4 posts better even if they do take up more floor space.  Any thoughts ya'll have would be appreciated!  Look forward to reading!

Offline coolmercury

Re: Hi from Stanardsville VA
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »
Welcome from the Missouri Ozarks, USAF retired.  I'm in my 5th shop, was the general contractor or built them myself.  This one is the largest, about 2500 sq. ft. and stick built.  Block is hard to insulate unless you build another wall inside.  This shop starting from the outside is metal, chip board on 2 x 6 studs with 6 inch insulation and more chip board on the inside walls.  The ceiling is also metal with 24 inches of blown-in insulation on top.  Has three bays and a large heated and air conditioned room larger than a bay on one end with a bathroom.  One bay is set up for a lift, plan on a 4-post, concrete is 5 inches thick in that bay and the ceiling is 14 feet.  I also have portable heat for any bay I'm working in when its cold.  Building has standard trusses with 3/4 inch chipboard with the metal roof screwed to the chipboard.  So far it has survived 80 mph winds without problems.  Two of my past shops were block and two stick built.  Will do my best to answer any questions.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 07:11:50 PM »
Welcome neighbor!! -- I'm up in Fairfax County

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:05:24 PM »
Welcome USAF93 from Northern NV. Since we built our 30' x 55' shop only 10' from the house it had to match but we wanted stick built anyways. 16' ceiling so the wife could have her 12' x 30' mezzanine in the rear for her art studio. It has survived our 90mph+ winds we get off the Sierra Nevada mountains.