Author Topic: Need level parts (as in construction level, masonry level)  (Read 2012 times)

Offline oldnslo

Need level parts (as in construction level, masonry level)
« on: December 23, 2020, 11:36:11 AM »
I thought I was destined to search for parts for a broken "vial window" and bubble vials on fleaboy, Amazon or sites unknown to repair two levels that are in the repair lineup.

One being a Stanley Sweetheart 28" (somewhat collectible) and it is wood based, but missing a window and a vial. Both were butchered out by a former owner and the project abandoned. I was not far behind in my "watching it collect dust" on the workbench, then shelved it for another couple of years.

Moving on to a beefy cast aluminum 24" that I thought would be a good masonry level (I have never set a block in my oldnslo life), but it had 1 cracked window, and the former owner showered it with arc weld bb's which as you might know will embed in glass and makes a wonderful divot that screams " I am an amateur" for using a right tool for the wrong job. All six windows exhibited this peppered welding characteristic. :91:

Ready for the solution? Silly me, I didnt even consider contacting the aluminum level company to search out needed parts  :-[ , so it dawned on me to call them, Port Austin Levels (a USA based company), still in business and selling parts dirt cheap to fix your level. They even had the parts I needed for my Stanley.

Parts here: https://portaustinlevelandtool.com/misc.html

Now, the site is not all that slick, but if you call them, chances are you'll get the nice woman who will help you find what you need. Now, for just 62c for a vial window (I got a few), and a bubble vial on the cheap, along with a few bucks shipping and I am rocking my project list.

Perhaps this will motivate you to get back "on the level".

Offline highland512

Re: Need level parts (as in construction level, masonry level)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 07:17:20 AM »
I have a 24" aluminum level made by them, good tool.