TOOLS AND THE SHOP > GUNSMITHING/ KNIFEMAKING

Harbor Freight Gun Safe

(1/3) > >>

GNAP:
Welp, I finally broke down for a cheap gun safe (loose definition). I had set up a shopping trip with Norm, to look and purchase a small (less than a dozen rifles) gun safe, planing hitting Runnings, TSC, Bass Pro and Harbor Freight.

Saturday morning, I had a few errands to run, before we went shopping, as I was putting gas into the wife’s Equinox, I was right door to HF, so I ventured in to look and see.

I ran into the manager, looked it over, it met the basic requirements, and after some manager/coupon magic, the price dropped by about $100, so I bought it.

Norm came over and helped get it in the house, I got it loaded up and it’s functioning as I needed it to. The wife is not real impressed, as it sets in the living room (I told her it was temporary

This was all started by a friend in the Binghamton area, who got fined and has his guns confiscated (he later got them back), for not having them locked up. Apparently, in the great state of NY, it’s now illegal (?) to have gun, that are not locked up between uses. Not really sure of all of the details, but if correct, I do not want the hassle. So locked up they are.

GNAP:
The safe (loose term) is basically a heavy doored metal box, with cheap carpeting and 10 ga walls, ceiling and floor. It is severely out of balance, it stands fine, but when you open the door, it wants to fall forward, until the both of the door hits the floor.

Is it terrible, no, is it great, no, it adequate. The door is smooth, the lock handle and mechanism seems solid and the electronic lock works as described. There is also a backup key lock, in case the batteries die. There is also a lockable interior cabinet, for pistols (?) and 2 adjustable shelves, thats usage would severely limits the usable rifle length.

Should I have looked around, as I had originally planned, probably, but most in the price range I wanted to spend (sub $500 tax included), looked rather similar. The one I really wanted was close to 600# and cost $2200,

DeadNutz:
Everybody should have one. Bolted to the floor is the best but you might not want to do that in your living room. Mine is bolted down but when I think about it I have 2 big torch sets and plenty of power tools and material handling equipment along with a forklift. The safe weighs 550lbs empty.

goodfellow:
I've seen those in several homes. It's cheap enough insurance to keep small kids and other honest people out. Does it have a fire rating Jack, ...or is it just a carpeted sheet metal box?

GNAP:
Large carpeted sardine can, roughly 10 ga steel sides back, top and bottom

Designed to keep honest people honest

My intent is to comply to the law, it meets the minimum requirements.

If you have children under 16 or people who are no allowed guns in your residents, they need to be locked up. The grandkids who visit a lot, obviously make the need to comply necessary, make the wife happier too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version