Author Topic: 1999 gmc sonoma  (Read 2131 times)

Offline jim m

1999 gmc sonoma
« on: January 28, 2021, 08:09:25 PM »
I have a 1999 gmc Sonoma that has a electrical problem. It will be driving along just fine. Then it will start bucking all the dash lights will come on and the engine will die. it will start and die. then it will start and run. It has a 2.2l with a DIS Distributor less ignition system.

thanks for any idea's
                                      Jim

Offline jim m

Re: 1999 gmc sonoma
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 08:54:22 PM »
I forgot to mention when it does this the code I get are Crankshaft positioning censer or it will be Cam shaft positioning censer but never both at the same time.

Offline vssjim

Re: 1999 gmc sonoma
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 09:54:13 PM »
A number of years ago I had a customers 2.2 S10 and he drove it to VA. from Michigan and when he got here it started to run badly. I checked it over and the coils were way out of spec on the secondaries and it ruined the module they set on. If I remember correctly the crank sensor is under next to  the ignition module on the right lower side of engine block. I have seen the sensors fail also. The crank sensor run through the ignition model then on to ECM so it can be sensor or module.  I would check the ohms on the coils while I am down there for sure if they are off replace them they cause problems. BUY AC DELCO crank sensor for sure 11.00 dollars on rock auto. If you want to se if the cam sensor will cause it to stall unplug it while it's run as most GM cars it will not but I don't remember on these 2.2's. Later models just use cam sensors to run injectors for sequential firing and when they fail they just fire two and two so it will still run but not as clean.