Author Topic: US made vice grips.  (Read 4661 times)

Offline jabberwoki

US made vice grips.
« on: May 11, 2021, 07:31:04 PM »
Yay support them when you can.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline john k

Re: US made vice grips.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
Great news, to me.  Anytime a small family business can re-emerge after being swallowed by a conglomerate, is fine in my book,,,,,

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 09:54:17 PM »
It's the only brand I own, of which I have more than one of their models and quantities. Though I have "other" brands pass through my hands, those quickly get moved down the road.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 09:51:14 AM »
The nice thing about Malco is they know how to make quality tools and market them to pros.  Most pros know the Irwin vise grips aren't near as good as the old ones, jaws are too soft.  Plus Malco has  distribution in place to give them a head start on marketing. 

For those who may not know, Malco makes a lot of siding and sheet metal tools for the trades

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 05:17:32 PM »
I kinda lost interest in Malco when they dropped their screwdriver line and went Chinese manufacture around 2015. These being American made gives me hope.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 05:35:35 PM »
To see a formerly USA made tool come back to life is great. Don't know if I will buy any as I have a pretty good stock of Petersen made vise grips.

Offline john k

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 10:03:21 PM »
To see how big a deal it is, look up the population of Dewitt, Nebraska.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 10:33:23 PM »
To see how big a deal it is, look up the population of Dewitt, Nebraska.
I see what you mean John as any number of new jobs is significant with a population of around 500 people.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 11:43:10 PM »
I've been waiting about 3 years for this.

Btw malco added some good features on their eagle grips over the old petersons.

The only thing Irwin did right was add the hex in the knob so you can release them when they're too tight.
Malco made it larger, and came up with something that's supposed to make them smoother.

I only have 3 pairs of Petersons I'm ashamed to say, but I use the crap out of them and they've never failed me.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 02:25:51 PM »
This is great to hear! Years ago when the announcement was made that VG was going offshore I hurriedly bought a variety of remaining USA stock from Harry E and set them aside for my son who at the time was a child to have a new set of the good stuff when he came of age and needed tools.

Only 3 days ago did he finally get those and a whole lot of other tools plus a vintage 1960's Cman top box and two drawer mid box to use in his new position  as a lube tech at the Chevy dealer where he has been working in various capacities for over a year. Of course almost all the tools I gave him were USA made, a mix of brands, some Snappy, a few even NOS.

He caught me off guard. Now I have to clear out some room in my shop to cleanup and restore/repaint a fairly large 1960's/70's vintage Remline friction slide old school top box and roll cab.
I told him he could pick the color and would have to put in sweat equity cleaning/ sanding and prepping for paint his box. He will better appreciate what he has to work for.

I was greatly relieved when I asked him what colors he wanted to hear him say he wanted it to look like it did when new. That means it will get Rust-O- leum hammer tone for the boxes, and either red for the drawers, or the closest to the old RL orange used in the day. I am very much looking forward to this project and I am sure he will be shocked how great a carefully prepped and painted vintage box will look when done.

This will be a challenge with this kid, he is 20, and is going to get a lesson in the patience it takes to produce good results in paint finish which only comes through proper prep for topcoat. He is also going  to see the project through and do drawer liners, and adding dividers if needed.

This might be a reason that you will begin seeing a lot more activity from me on the site in coming weeks or months. As big a mess as my shop is this will not happen overnight but will likely take a bit.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 05:31:21 PM »

This will be a challenge with this kid, he is 20, and is going to get a lesson in the patience it takes to produce good results in paint finish which only comes through proper prep for topcoat. He is also going  to see the project through and do drawer liners, and adding dividers if needed.

This might be a reason that you will begin seeing a lot more activity from me on the site in coming weeks or months. As big a mess as my shop is this will not happen overnight but will likely take a bit.

best news i have heard in a while!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 05:32:50 PM »
Very much looking forward to the tool box refurbishment Herb. Your son will remember this project as a highlight in his life -- guaranteed.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 05:45:11 PM »
Very much looking forward to the tool box refurbishment Herb. Your son will remember this project as a highlight in his life -- guaranteed.

I am going to take before and after pics which is something I have never done before. The top box is very sweaty, someone spray bombed the whole thing silver. I think they might have taped off the brand tag fortunately. It has been a couple of years since I looked at it.

The roller is Master Mechanic tagged but it appears Remline to me. Still better than most anything else you will find these days even though it has friction slides.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 08:43:48 PM »

The top box is very sweaty,

uncle buck and a sweaty box............ damn we've missed you and your verbiage around these parts. :))
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2022, 06:50:19 PM »
SK.....wow you perv.

Really looking forward to this thread, we don`t see any like this very much.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2022, 12:35:15 PM »
Wait a darn minute here.  Isn't UB the one who hated Rustoleum because it took so long to dry :))

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2022, 01:37:51 PM »
Wait a darn minute here.  Isn't UB the one who hated Rustoleum because it took so long to dry :))

Sadly, you are correct. Hammertone finish was a game changer for me. I now use their other colors as well! :ecomcity:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2022, 08:44:05 PM »
I really like their hammertone gunmetal paint,the black doesn't have as nice of a look to it though.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2023, 08:26:00 PM »
Well, I made some progress getting enough stuff tossed out and organized to make enough room to paint this top box and roller, but not enough. I am still working on getting enough room to paint this set. On the plus side, the son left Chevy and went to Big O tires. When he showed up with the old two drawer vintage silver and red Cman top box a co-worker promptly sold him a matching to the top box, vintage three drawer Cman roll cab. That took a bit of pressure off of me to get the nicer and larger Rem Line set repainted though I am still wanting to make that happen in the near future. I have time though as he is just a lube and tire tech and the tools he needs to do the job easily fit in his current box. However what he doesn't know is that once that larger set is finished a large number of doubles and triples to many of the tools I literally do not need nor have room for will also go with that box as the extras are honestly taking up room I just don't have at this point. He has no idea, and I haven't told him so when that happens he will be in for more of a surprise.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2023, 06:38:36 AM »
That will be a great surprise Herb! Getting a nice set of quality vintage tools to start a budding career is like "hog heaven".

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2023, 08:32:22 AM »
Thats a nice gesture buck sure your kid will be estatic.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2023, 08:55:00 AM »
Gifts mean so much more when they're made by the giver. Nice thought UB!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2023, 07:49:07 AM »
UB, IIRC, you often bought vintage tools when the price was right for the express purpose of setting your son up with quality tools.

Glad to see it happening