Author Topic: Restore or Refurbish  (Read 12158 times)

Offline snapmom

Restore or Refurbish
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:36:43 PM »
Do you think a tool should be restored to original or refurbished to good usable condition.   

I use to try to restore,  but now I think refurbish.  Its like I do not want to use a restored tool,  but heck,  what is a tool for?

Offline bill300d

Re: Restore or Refurbish
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:10:20 PM »
I'm not a fan of taking all the patina off an old tool.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 11:14:05 PM »
Interesting question. Depends on the tool but in general I try to do the minimum required to make it useful and usable.

It's not that a restored one would be treated any different but in my mind it's just I would rather have something as it is.

The exception are two Snap-on ratchets I bought new in my teens and the chrome has seen better days and I've been considering rechroming them but then I plan on taking them with me rechromed or not.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 12:47:16 AM »
Depends if it's a collectible tool or a user.
boop/bop/beep

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 07:53:12 AM »
From my experience anything that is fully restored yourself, your afraid to use due to possible damage.

Thats my experience from restoring tractors anyways.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »
Don't know that I have ever restored a tool.  If I did, it would likely be for show not go.  I am not a big collector though I do own a lot of cool old tools but they will all get a price tag on them at some point. 

I do refurbish a lot of tools either to keep or sell.  I get (as I am sure a lot of you do) a sense of satisfaction of bringing a tool back to life.  Not always worth the effort but certainly the end result is reward enough

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
If a tool is a collectible, than I leave it as is or do as little as possible. If it's going to be a user than who cares what it looks like? I do the minimum to bring it back to good function.

That being said I love to fully restore things. lol

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 11:37:29 AM »
Mostly "refurbish" for my use and purposes. I hate dirt and rust, and will do my best to eliminate them and repaint when appropriate, but other than that I don't mess with the tool that much. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
Any rust on a tool and it gets put in Evaporust. The biggest pain is cleaning sockets packed with grease and dirt. Clean the tools and make them users.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 01:31:21 PM »
Sockets packed with grease are easy if you have a hot water washer 8)

I just put them on a socket rail, spray a little degreaser the pressure wash them.  You will get a little blow back but they will be clean quick

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 04:59:30 PM »
I usually dump dirty sockets in the parts washer and let them soak.

So what would running a wire wheel over them and oiling it down count as? refurbished or just cleaned? I still haven't gotten around to the evaporust stuff.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 09:35:38 PM »

Bam !
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 09:48:48 PM »

For me that line is blurry I really try to use them all. Some maybe very gingerly but I want the experience of using them. I have my primary users but mix in what I can. Some I doubt I'll ever use - I have yet to find a use for my 1 1/2 drive ratchet and have no sockets to fit it but I'd love to if I could.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline snapmom

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 11:32:32 AM »

For me that line is blurry I really try to use them all. Some maybe very gingerly but I want the experience of using them. I have my primary users but mix in what I can. Some I doubt I'll ever use - I have yet to find a use for my 1 1/2 drive ratchet and have no sockets to fit it but I'd love to if I could.

Maybe if you did not have those little tiny arms. :)

Offline Andrewhr

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 02:00:23 PM »
Sockets packed with grease are easy if you have a hot water washer 8)

Or dishwasher and a wife away for the weekend

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 02:44:59 PM »
The difference between theory and practice...

Theory - Restore collectibles if appropriate.  Keep users clean and functional

Reality - Don't have time for that.

;D

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 03:30:42 PM »
Living dangerous there.
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 03:34:15 PM »

Maybe if you did not have those little tiny arms. :)

You making fun of my arms?

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 03:45:34 PM »

Get some sockets and stop off at a farm or construction equipment dealer and look for stuff you can use it on.   ;D
boop/bop/beep

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 04:15:00 PM »

Get some sockets and stop off at a farm or construction equipment dealer and look for stuff you can use it on.   ;D

Have Ratchet Will Travel

Wire:JAFadin

Offline muddy

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 10:19:46 PM »
Does brakleen count as refurbishment?

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 02:09:27 AM »
Recreating missing bits of broken wrenches, weld fill in rust pits (the alien has that Snapper) and resizing spread and filed out old wrenches....  Yup, I did all that.  More were left untouched after purchase and some straight to work after wire wheel magic.

Worn 3/8" became spare 10mm and cheapo stuff was made into ROE combos to complete my set. 

But no true pristine classics were ever sacrificed to the gods of rust.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 10:40:56 AM »
I usually dump dirty sockets in the parts washer and let them soak.

So what would running a wire wheel over them and oiling it down count as? refurbished or just cleaned? I still haven't gotten around to the evaporust stuff.

This would be the closest thing to what I do when needed. I was raised with the wire wheel and cannot imagine not using it when cleaning rusty stuff.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 12:05:51 AM »
I try to retain original finishes as much as possible. Also depends on what the item is, an old cast iron farm wrench that’s rusted might just get a wipe down to remove the dust and then a coating of oil.
However, an old cad finished ratchet that’s rusted over might get an Evap-o bath. I will use a hand held wire brush for some stubborn stuff, but never ever have I used a powered wire wheel for “refurbishing ” a hand tool.  I’m just to scared I that I’ll ruin it.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 08:24:27 AM »
since  being named a collector, i prefer to polish all things ot a mirror finish.   ;)
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 11:20:46 AM »
I do not restore, I refurbish.
I remove the rust with a soft wire wheel which preserves patina, give it oil where it needs it, then put it to use. If I wanted a brand new looking tool I'd buy a brand new tool, but I like 'em honest with patina.
Many many YouTube videos showcase what they're calling a restoration when it's not, most often they're removing the patina and polishing up a tool that never came polished to begin with.
They think everything has to be brand new looking.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 11:47:46 AM »
I have an old German Bugle nrand hammer I polished to mirror finish.  Also a new Truper that came highly finished that is geyting the bejeezus beaten out of it without any concern of finish.

My new vise of a decade ago looks like I dragged it behind a truck the entire time.  It works fine.

I have weld filled rust pocks in wrenches as well as replaced broken parts of old DOE to make them pretty.  I have left new high end tools out in thr rain where I was working all day. 

I have old tools I bought used that were "work polished" back to patina with a cement floor the last few years.

There is no one way to do it.  Some are destined to die after much use and some must be made new.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 12:53:52 PM »
There is a guy at the swaps that is (trying) to sell a set of Plomb Pebbles that was chromed and polished. They look nice but odd at the same time. As my friend Tonya from Alabama says it just ain't right.