Author Topic: Afghanistan...  (Read 8252 times)

Online muddy

Afghanistan...
« on: August 17, 2021, 08:41:15 PM »
What's everyone ones thoughts on current situation in Afghanistan?

My feelings did a 180 within 24hrs. Before I say my side I'd like to know what you guys think.

Also I'd kinda like to here from you guys on how this compares to Vietnam as in repercussions and public view of withdrawal from their.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Afghanistan...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 08:58:41 PM »
not old enough to know much about vietnam other than it was time to get out and they really were not a threat to us.

i don't know the right time to get out of afganistan.  don't know if they ever would be a time to get out. i do know that it will now be an open invitiation for every wingnut  who hates the usa to take haven there now that taliban is back in control. too bad it is impossible to level a county to rocks and dust  isn't much else other than rocks and dust.

you can pretty much bet that sooner or later trouble will reemerge from that part of the world and it is a lot easier to keep an eye on it from there rather then when it shows up in your front yard.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Online slip knot

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 09:04:52 PM »
I would imagine the populous that was friendly to US will suffer the same fate as the South Vietnamese did. This is a royal shit show with those people blood directly on bidens hands. But he will get a pass on this like everything else.

My opinion is we never should have gone in there. We have the assets to level the place without ever endangering an American life. But we dont allow our military to win anymore. its no longer a matter of winning a war but a matter of making folks wealthy.

We as a nation are much less safer tonight because of whats happening in Afghanistan.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 09:16:09 PM »
Vietnam was an unpopular war as time progressed.  Much more so then Afghanistan.  Sadly, a lot of the public treated returning soldiers very poorly as if they had any choice to go there or not. 

As to our withdrawal from Afghanistan,  planning was not thought out enough and a lot of people may die needlessly.  I hope those who helped us, get out safely.  I certainly don't believe the Taliban will honor their talk of safe passage and not retaliating against those who helped us.

In general , we stick our nose in other peoples business way to much and rarely does it go well for us or as it was planned.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 10:53:06 PM »
The Dems fought Trump hard when he wanted to negotiate a peaceful withdrawal with the Taliban which he had obtained. The Taliban respected that if they violated the agreement that they would pay a heavy price. Then Biden was installed and he immediately canceled the planned withdrawal. Now the Taliban is dictating the date and said we must be out by Sept 11 which will be very symbolic to the enemy.

You know the Dems fouled it up when they had to send 6,000 more troops to protect the last 2,500 to leave. I hope all US citizens manage to get out because the Taliban will begin wholesale slaughter. We should of just sent in the B-52's to level parts of the country to take out the terrorist camps and Taliban instead of invading. It would of been less loss of human life and our treasure than what the end result will be coming up.

Vietnam would have ended sooner if the politicians had stayed out of it but they set the rules of engagement just like Afghanistan. I think it is disgusting how our soldiers were treated by the hippies and anti-war protestors. I have family and close neighbors who had no choice but to go over there. We just lost a member of our EAA chapter in a motorcycle accident a couple of months ago. He served multiple tours as a medevac pilot and was honored greatly for flying evac missions when other pilots refused due to the hostile fire. He save many soldiers with his duty to his fellow men. He finished up as the pilot of a Cobra gunship because he wanted a little payback for everything he had to endure and his wounds which affected him for the rest of his life.

Offline walrus

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 03:53:54 AM »
 Once Bin Laden was killed we should have gotten out of there. trying to train Afghan soldiers was a joke. Most were illiterate, some couldn't count to 5 from what I've read. How you expect them to run modern military equipment if so is beyond me. The exit strategy is lacking for sure. The history of military conflicts in that area should have told us that going in there was a losing proposition

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 10:45:37 AM »
Once Bin Laden was killed we should have gotten out of there. trying to train Afghan soldiers was a joke. Most were illiterate, some couldn't count to 5 from what I've read. How you expect them to run modern military equipment if so is beyond me. The exit strategy is lacking for sure. The history of military conflicts in that area should have told us that going in there was a losing proposition

:great:

"Nation building" - what a joke! You can't "give" people freedom - they have to want it and fight for it. If you see this going on in a country then perhaps you can assist.
20 years and trillions later and without a fight the army and leadership bail. What a joke! And we don't even take all the equipment with us - and even leave thousands of Americans hanging. And all Biden can say is, "It's Trumps fault"? But hey, millions voted for this idiot and millions more votes were fabricated. And law enforcement, politicians, and SCOTUS just ring their hands. 9/11 was horrible - but we're going to get hit again worse leaving Afghanistan the way we did.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »
I haven't read the responses yet, I'm just going to say this, if it took 2,500 US troops to stay over there indefinitely, keep the peace and keep Afghanistan from being a breeding ground for terrorists, that was some of the best money we could've spent.

Biden is a fucking idiot.  He left those people hung out to dry.  As Robert Gates I believe it was said, Biden has been wrong on every big foreign policy issue the last fifty years.
boop/bop/beep

Offline highland512

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 01:28:56 PM »
The biggest harm done with this whole shit show has nothing to with taliban. China is watching this unfold and taking notes on what the US and Bidens response will be if they invade Taiwan and continue their expansion in the south china sea.

China's notes thus far:  biden blame Trump for us invading then hide from public view. #2 in command is political hack who no know what she do..................invaide now.......ps stop sending hunter crack money, he smoke it before it get to big guy. 

Offline walrus

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 04:58:44 PM »

Biden is a fucking idiot.  He left those people hung out to dry.  As Robert Gates I believe it was said, Biden has been wrong on every big foreign policy issue the last fifty years.
Didn't Trump put this in motion?

Online slip knot

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 05:12:42 PM »

Damn dude give up on the MSM and read some. Trump did have a setup withdrawl that YOUR idiot president threw out. Thanks to Biden the Taliban is the best funded and well armed terrorist army in the world.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 06:16:43 PM »

Damn dude give up on the MSM and read some. Trump did have a setup withdrawl that YOUR idiot president threw out. Thanks to Biden the Taliban is the best funded and well armed terrorist army in the world.
Our troops would have out in May if Biden hadn't canceled the plan and agreement. What a laugh when people try to blame this fiasco on anybody but Biden and his handlers.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 06:18:25 PM »
Obama gave $150 billion in cash to Iran (our sworn enemy) and Biden gives billions in supplies and ammo to the Taliban (our sworn enemies). All part of the Demrat training course - screw America while brown-nosing the enemy.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 12:47:47 AM »
And btw, some of those terrorists involved in the Taliban takeover were ones the great Obama traded for that deserter in 2014.
boop/bop/beep

Offline walrus

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 04:37:38 AM »

Personally I'd put the blame on Bush for getting us there to begin with. That place has never been good to invading armies and that continues to hold true. Biden hasn't done a good job withdrawing and the folks left behind are going to pay with their lives in a lot of cases. In the end the US had to get out  of there as it appears the trained Afghan army had no interest in fighting so all our efforts were for naught.