Author Topic: Looking like labor is trying to get some back after giving so much up ....  (Read 2260 times)

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/10000-john-deere-workers-go-on-strike_n_61671f4ce4b065a5496f1f23?d_id=2716665&ncid_tag=tweetlnkushpmg00000016

Looking like labor is trying to get some back after giving so much up over the last forty yrs. The volvo plant managed to get some after three offers. https://apnews.com/article/business-strikes-17c318d1250ebfca9f597c5601af820b

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/10/08/deer-o08.html
Poor offer and a 90% rejection vote. Stay strong UAW

I watched the picket line at out local GM plant a couple yrs ago and was glad they got what they were asking for.
I fear we will be on strike in a couple years when our contract is due for renegotiation. They gave up 5% and the another 10% yrs back and there are a bunch of unfunded pension obligations. These corps are flying high with record stock prices and I'm not the only one who feels they need to take care of the labor that takes them there everyday.

I will be prepared as best I can to ride out what ever the outcome of our negotiations. I hope they can come to an agreement for the sake of the families and communities surrounding those plants.
Rich

Offline bonneyman

I hope the negotiations work out for you, but with the current corporate athmosphere it could be dicey.

Offline slip knot

I think the current labor market has business backs against the wall. Nobody want to work for the wages offered. The city I work for just changed its pay scales.  I was in the top 1/4 of my pay scale but the new scale has me st the bottom 1/4.  They bumped the upper end by $25k. Some of our guys were $5 below what is considered the new bottom end. They got a sweet raise. Those of us stuck in the middle got 0. And the attitudes show it. Several have already put in for retirement.

Offline Barks

slip knot--Isn't that backwards thinking.  Going from the top of the range to the bottom of the new range means that there is a lot of increased opportunity for pay raises in the current classification.  Why would this move someone to retire?

Offline fatfillup

Don't know much about unions but I do know business to some degree, at least small business.  As to Deere, its hard to obligate yourself to a 6 year contract given you don't know what the economy will do over that time.  I would feel comfortable tying in bonuses for all employees to profits but if the economy tanks and it likely will, meeting obligations without layoffs is hard to do. 

As to pensions and retiree health care, the costs are stupid high and that money has to come from somewhere and again, it is a future obligation that is hard to meet.

Offline slip knot

slip knot--Isn't that backwards thinking.  Going from the top of the range to the bottom of the new range means that there is a lot of increased opportunity for pay raises in the current classification.  Why would this move someone to retire?

The newbys just got a jump up to what the old guys are making. Seniority dont me shit..

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
I'm no guru or long term union guy as I've just reached my 6yr aniversary at this union shop. Ours is teamsters and there are many other unions (ibew, uaw, pipefitters, welding and such) and each has their own negotiations and even different parts of the country is different and has different contracts they work under.
Our contract is usually five yrs and has included cola rasies and the last one also had a clause that included a bonus for the worker when a bonus is given to management so that cut down that type of compensation to the mgmt without the labor getting nothing.
We are one of the lowest paid drivers in our market but the benefits and pension are above and beyond what any other co in our market offers. During the next negotiation I'm hoping we can get some of the money that was given up yes ago but time will tell.
There was a time when you couldn't have paid me to join a union but over the last decade or two the corporations have run roughshod over labor. The economy hasn't been the best and I see how that is but the economy has been very good and the stock markets are going wild and setting records. This makes me think labor needs to get back what has been given up.
Rich

Offline fatfillup

I like the idea of bonuses to all if any are paid.

As to unions in general, Conductor made a great argument for unions as he was shop steward for the railroad yard he worked at and has swayed me from anti union to mid ground.

Offline walrus

As to unions in general, Conductor made a great argument for unions as he was shop steward for the railroad yard he worked at and has swayed me from anti union to mid ground.
Railroad unions used to be pretty strong, not so sure anymore as Maine has little to no railroad around me now. Paper mills are mostly gone compared to my youth when they were everywhere in this state.

I was in union once, not a strong one , never had a contract negotiation while I was there so no strike. Place has been bought and shut down so no more union. Wife is in a union, pretty useless, not strong at all. Boy is in a union, very strong one, pilots have quite the contract.

My biggest complaint when I was in union was seniority, which protected the people even if they couldn't do the job.

Around here most of the union trucking companies are gone

I can why some workers for Amazon want a union.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked

Hiball on GJ made some good arguments for the need for unions in the railroad industry.  Much of it seems to depend on the industry.

Like Walrus said, protecting people with seniority that are useless is a bad use of a union.

Also a lot of politics within unions and some use it as a gravy train.
boop/bop/beep

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
Re: Looking like labor is trying to get some back after giving so much up ....
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 04:34:32 PM »
Just wanted to give kudos to the negotiating team forrepresenting the rail road unions. Not agreed to and ratified yet but a strong offer in my opinion.

The offer:

The tentative agreement calls for an immediate wage increase of 14% once compounded with an additional 4% on July 1, 2023, and 4.5% on July 1, 2024. In addition, wage increases of 3% effective July 1, 2020, 3.5% effective July 1, 2021, and 7% effective July 1, 2022, will be fully retroactive, for a compounded increase of 24% over the 5-year term of the agreement. The agreement also includes annual lump-sum bonus payments totaling $5,000.

The parties’ Health and Welfare Plan point-of-service costs will remain unchanged; there will be no increases to copays or deductibles and there are no disruptions to the existing health care networks.
Rich

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 07:22:04 PM »
Given the problems with the west coast ports and the supply chain issues that we are facing, the railroad workers/union are in the driver's seat and they have the railroad companies and the Biden administration over a barrel. Glad they're getting a deal -- no one wants to take responsibility for ruining the holiday season. Not this close to a national election anyway  --

Offline walrus

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2022, 05:12:04 AM »
From my house I can hear when a train goes by across the bay, interesting that its happening much more now. Apparently New Brunswick is now handling much more freight from ships. CP and CSX bought up whats left of Maines railroad lines and are bringing freight out of St Johns NB to points on the East coast. Both railroads are making huge investments in the tracks that fell into disrepair over the years. Hearing the trains is good thing if you ask me but other places in Maine are complaining as 2 mile long trains are stopping traffic for up to 30 minutes in Western Maine. That would piss me off also  ;)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2022, 03:14:37 PM »
From my house I can hear when a train goes by across the bay, interesting that its happening much more now. Apparently New Brunswick is now handling much more freight from ships. CP and CSX bought up whats left of Maines railroad lines and are bringing freight out of St Johns NB to points on the East coast. Both railroads are making huge investments in the tracks that fell into disrepair over the years. Hearing the trains is good thing if you ask me but other places in Maine are complaining as 2 mile long trains are stopping traffic for up to 30 minutes in Western Maine. That would piss me off also  ;)

I read recently that many larger ships are now going through the Panama Canal and frequenting ports all up and down the east coast. The Panama Canal was recently widened to accommodate larger ships and allow for more traffic. All due to the logistics nightmares that are happening on the west coast.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:16:08 PM by goodfellow »

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 08:28:25 PM »

My biggest complaint when I was in union was seniority, which protected the people even if they couldn't do the job.

LOL,

Brought back memories of a local UPS driver, that kept getting complaints to the corporate level.  He said to a reporter, his goal was to be the worst person in the union and keep his job.