Author Topic: My projects  (Read 2617 times)

Offline bonneyman

My projects
« on: December 12, 2021, 04:22:01 PM »
I still labor to find a job - the year of COVID was not nice. And this last year hasn't been any better. All this talk of not being able to find workers, and I send out resumes, fill out applications, and even have a few interviews. Nada.

I've been busy around the house with projects. Keeping occupied and productive. Little things that break or need adjusting, and I've got the time, and don't want to go coo-coo! I figured I'd start a thread of what keeps me busy. Not that I presume to be any better than you guys at fixing things - alot of you guys do things that blow me away! This is just one of my ways of staying connected, with folks who might get an idea from something I do or recommend a better solution.

It'll be an on-going thread, and I'll post pics of my projects from time to time.

First up is a project "holder" inspired by some watch movement holders I bought. The movement holders are fine for small things, but I needed something a bit bigger and beefier. Large enough to hold comfortably with stuff hands, but lighter and more maneuveralbe than a vise. Fabbed out of aluminum rods and ABS, the perfect size for holding a ratchet.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:12:36 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: My projects
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 04:25:35 PM »
Had this ratcheting screwdriver with a gearless drive. Very smooth, comfy handle, large bit storage capacity - but no end cap. Took it to Ace and searched the irrigation section - found a suitable poly fitting that would screw into the end. Not perfect, as it will bind after about 4 threads. But close enough! Took a chair leg cap and cut and fit it to the fitting. Almost looks factory! And now I can use the thing.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 04:28:44 PM »
While working on another project the Mrs. complained about a door lock being "sticky". No problem - take it out and clean/lube it and she'll be good to go. Only I did a step out of turn and the internal cylinder pulled out, shooting little pins and springs everywhere! Shoot! Well, after my initial almost throwing it out, I sort of remembered how I rekeys locks several years ago. Was able to reinstall the pins in the right order, and hold it together well enough to get the springs reinstalled properly. Whew - that was close! No before pictures on this one, but very satisfying that 4 years on I still remember locks.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 04:37:01 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 04:33:42 PM »
Since getting the bathroom remodeled we've been dealing with the "new and improved" shower head. Only problem is it's one of those water saving 2.5 gallon per minute things that puts out less water than my humidifyer!
Seriously though, I figured I'd swap out the head with the original Shower massage wand we had. Plus the Mrs. could more easily clean the shower with the wand being mobile. But the old plastic connecter broke!
Found another, newer connector at a thrift store (those things are crazy at Ace anymore), but the slotted grip section was too small for out original wand. So I took some CPVC fittings, and made an adapter that fits the new connector but could be modified to grasp the shower wand. I discovered the wand handle was thinner front to back than side to side, so you turn it sideways to remove it and then - when the water warms up - it back in sideways then you rotate it 90 degrees.
A bit higher than I'd like but works and won't rust.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 04:40:07 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 04:08:16 PM »
Finally got over the flu enough to get into the shop and do some fun stuff.

Got the Eclipse pad handle done. Cleaned and polished the case, and made a suitable saw blade by modifying a well-used Sawz-all blade. had to cut it down and shave it to fit inside the handle. Leaving just enough protruding that you can pull it out when needed, though that does leave the pointed tip sticking out. Could also put a partial hacksaw blade in it - but since my Disston saw is set up with a hacksaw blade I'll leave this one as a sheet rock saw.
Really clever design - think I'll toss it in my sheet metal tool box for storage.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 10:02:23 AM »
And here's my latest "franken-light"! Still needs some finishing but far enough along to post pics.
This one is a no-name 18 volt light that I took a chance on that the LEDS were fine. Got it on half-off day (total $3.50), and a quick check at home proved they all lit. Was scrounging around trying to figure out a battery "pack", and settled upon one of those plastic drill index boxes. Made a great support base, was dirt cheap, and easy to swap batteries. Plus, the LED bulbs have such a low current draw that even well used 9v batteries still work fine! So I use fresh batteries in my other lights, and when the incan bulbs start going yellow, I can transfer them into the LED lights.

I come across pivot head flashlights all the time. Without the battery. Seems like folks who buy a line of cordless tools find out that after a couple of years the maker comes out with a new line of tools - and the batteries don't fit the older tools most of the time. When your batteries go bad or won't charge, the cost of a replacement is too high. So, people toss or donate the old tools.

Enter the flashlights. I can usually get them for a few bucks, and I've figured out a way to wire in 9 volt transistor batteries and get the lights working. Most of the time there's nothing wrong with them - just the battery went belly up. The old Makita stick battery lights were 9.6 volts and work fine on 9 volt transistor batteries. So I hook up 3 or 4 in parallel and get a useful life out of them. 18v are also easy - just two batteries in series. 12, 19.2, an 24 volt lights require some more work. Either a mixture of 9v and AA, or a stack of AA's. Real tough jobs one can always replace the bulb with a 9 or 18 volt variety.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:14:06 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 04:23:35 PM »
While doing some flashlight research (looking for schematics, parts lists, prices, etc.) I came across the brand of my latest franken light. Apparently made for Harbor Freight by Companion. Price $10. On=line reviews are 78% like and 22% not like. So I'm glad I didn't spend a whole lot of time modding it up. It'll work great banging around the truck. if the LEDs go I'll try and convert it to an 18 volt halogen or a single high output LED.

My parts resource:

https://ereplacementparts.com/

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 09:59:06 PM »
Finally finished upgrading my Disston keyhole saw.

It had a hex bolt for securing the blade, but I changed that to a standard head screw. Figured a screwdriver would be more readily available on the job than a wrench. But it never worked out. Saw an ad for one on ebay, and it had a knurled knob screw. Set out to get one /make one. Took a 1/4-20 hex bolt with an attached washer, and ground 6 curved grooves in it with a rattail file. Makes it much easier to tighten and loosen with my fingers than a regular bolt. While I was at it, I fashioned a sheetrock saw blade out of a used Sawzall blade. Now I can use it with the stored short hacksaw blade or as a sheetrock saw. Probably will store all the pieces in a snap cover sunglasses holder.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 06:37:59 AM »

That's a good one ......

Had this ratcheting screwdriver with a gearless drive. Very smooth, comfy handle, large bit storage capacity - but no end cap. Took it to Ace and searched the irrigation section - found a suitable poly fitting that would screw into the end. Not perfect, as it will bind after about 4 threads. But close enough! Took a chair leg cap and cut and fit it to the fitting. Almost looks factory! And now I can use the thing.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 11:33:26 AM »
Came across this electrical plug/adaptor, figured it was (or could be modified) for use as an extension cord lock. You all know how frustrating it is to be dragging a 100' extension cord and right before you get to where you need it it unplugs for the source cord. they make several variations of such extension cord "locks" so I thought I'd try and fab one. Here's how it started out, cost me 50 cents.
Finished results soon.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 03:47:33 PM »
Here's my progress so far. I've fabricated a slotted sleeve out of ABS that matches the profile of the rubber plug, and added some "legs" to it that when tightened by a plastic clamp will grip the cable of the extension. Still gotta smooth it out a bit, but I think it'll work and be tough enough to handle work use.