Author Topic: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass  (Read 15434 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2023, 08:48:15 AM »
I’ve used an oscillating tool and scraper blade to remove that undercoat. It works great. Way easier than chiseling with a putty knife

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2023, 01:18:26 PM »
I’ve used an oscillating tool and scraper blade to remove that undercoat. It works great. Way easier than chiseling with a putty knife

I actually picked up a Milwaukee M18 Multitool for this, but man it's noisy and it still leaves a lot of material behind.  Might work better once the body is on the rotisserie but working it while on your back isn't a whole bunch of fun.

Excellent Clay -- this project is going very well. You'll be rewarded with a beautiful car.

Thanks, Ray!  The irony is that the car's outwards appearance won't be significantly changed from the day I got it home apart from a bit of chrome polishing.  I've added the wing, swapped back to original Olds rims, hopefully will get my OAI hood patched and fitted and the 442 grills.  Of course it will be a whole new fire breathing machine underneath that skin :-D

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2023, 02:07:58 PM »
Excellent Clay -- this project is going very well. You'll be rewarded with a beautiful car.
Yes definitely a beautiful car , I remember when I used to visit the US regularly back in the 80s , a family I used to stay with in Eastern Washington had one in their driveway , was an old car by their standards by that time and didn’t get any use , I wished back then was there anyway I could have been mine ! Great to see what you are doing with it Clay !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2023, 09:28:54 PM »
What do you do when you're at a standstill?  Buy more parts, of course!

Just got a bunch of bushings, tie rods, etc from Rock Auto and suspension parts are on the way from Summit.  My frame is still at the blaster's and I've been procrastinating on doing the body mount repair.  Letting myself get distracted cleaning up a '73 VW to sell and doing some spring gardening.  My heads are still a couple months away and still holding up the engine build.  That's fine, though.  With all the extra work I've added I'm not in any rush!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2023, 11:22:22 AM »
Love to see shiny new parts for an old timer. Glad you're moving well along in the journey Clay.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2023, 04:02:46 PM »
Love to see shiny new parts for an old timer. Glad you're moving well along in the journey Clay.

Thanks, Ray!  They're going to make reassembly so pleasant!  Picking up some more nice stuff tomorrow but I have to stop for a look at my frame on the way.  My blaster sent me this photo of a broken weld near the front body mount.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2023, 02:09:09 AM »
Slowly but surely...

Frame has been patched by a professional, just needs a final blast before paint and it should be back in my hands by next week. 

Work is starting on my engine although I'm still waiting for my heads.  Cleaned up and line bored at least

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2023, 02:12:25 AM »
Also got a few more parts.  Gas tank and straps, UMI Performance front and rear springs, sway bars, tubular trailing arms and frame braces, and an engine cradle.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2023, 05:57:29 AM »
Lookin' good Clay. That  frame work came out very nice. Thanks for the great pics.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2023, 01:27:36 PM »
Lookin' good Clay. That  frame work came out very nice. Thanks for the great pics.

Thanks Ray!  Doing my best after being influenced by the likes of you  :93:

Now if I can stop dragging my heels and do that body repair I'll be able to get the shell on the rotisserie and start making some real progress again.  I've welded body metal before, and these welds won't be visible but I'm still kind of nervous about the cutting and prep bit for some inane reason!  Maybe this is the week it gets done. 

Offline ron350

« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2023, 04:52:52 PM »
 I see those fancy main studs.

Don't let Mondelo talk you into using a solid oil galley plug. You need to use the factory plug with the factory size hole or you will be replacing lots of timing chains.

Offline muddy

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2023, 07:19:12 PM »
I can see why guys loved the olds engines for performance uses.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2023, 10:54:04 PM »
I see those fancy main studs.

Don't let Mondelo talk you into using a solid oil galley plug. You need to use the factory plug with the factory size hole or you will be replacing lots of timing chains.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!  I don't recall Bernard mentioning them at all but I'll talk to my builder about it.

No progress on the body, grrrrr.  Too many things pulling my every which way but loose or to the shop.  First order of business is doing a major cleanup to make some serious working space, things are about to start moving (hopefully).

Went to a swap meet this morning (it's a big deal as there aren't  many easy to get to around here), found a couple small prizes, picked up a new drop base air cleaner that might work even though it has the DeMon lettering on it.  The big find was a set of American Racing Torq Thrust II 2 piece rims, pretty much exactly what I had in mind.  The rubber is garbage but I only paid for the rims anyhow, probably about a third of what they would cost me new.  17 x 7 front, 17 x 8 rear.

Afterwards, we picked up my frame.  It came out looking great but I'll have to wait to get some decent photos of it.  Chomping at the bit to start getting that back together though!  With a bit of luck it will be ready for the engine when the engine is done.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2023, 12:46:50 AM »
Finally got back into the project.  My heads are currently being reworked by Bernard Mondello so the wait for them is almost over.  My hydroboost brake system is on it's way after a 7 month wait (they said 90-120 days when I ordered!).

The biggest thing is I finally tackled the metal replacement for the body mount on the left rear of the shell.  I don't have a ton of experience (let alone recent experience) doing this so I was putting it off.  Got home today and decided "today's the day", and it was.  You can see the body metal rotted where it was in contact with the body mount puck, and the cage for the missing caged nut is fully exposed.  This part isn't reproduced, but I had saved one from a parts car through some sheer dumb luck. 

It's tacked in place, just need to finish the welding and I'll be able to get the car on the rotisserie at last.  As Ray often says..."Onward!".

Oh, and as Ray has also being known to say, time for an adult beverage...

Offline Elroy

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2023, 08:44:44 PM »
I can see why guys loved the olds engines for performance uses.

Those Oldsmobile's are torque monsters. It will have no trouble melting those tires.  :-*