Author Topic: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass  (Read 14554 times)

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2022, 02:36:22 PM »
Exciting times eh!!

Some nights I just lay awake dreaming with my eyes open! 

I picked up my rear end on Sunday, it looks good.  Waiting for a friend to help me unload it then I'll share some photos of that.  In the meantime, kids will play.  Latest delivery...and there's no valid justification for me to put these on the car except to give myself the opportunity to further unleash the little kid in me...besides, some of my friends have them :-D

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2022, 06:33:05 PM »
When your finished that one i`ve got your next project ready.
1970 Buick 455 GS 4 spd with a/c in Aqua mist with a white top.

Project car comes with 2 other 70 buicks fo parts.

Road trip >:D :08:
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2022, 07:34:47 PM »
When your finished that one i`ve got your next project ready.
1970 Buick 455 GS 4 spd with a/c in Aqua mist with a white top.

Project car comes with 2 other 70 buicks fo parts.

Road trip >:D :08:

You're killing me here!   :cool2:

My '57 VW will be next unless I wind up selling it at some point...then there's my '71 Cutlass that would get a stock treatment until my daughter takes possession of it at some point in the future.

Here's the assembled rear end photos.  I need to blast and paint the backing plates, get a fancy cover and figure out a few other things before it goes under the car.  All new components - Yukon posi, 3.73 gears, Moser 30 spline axles, new pinion yoke. 

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2022, 04:59:34 PM »
Well, I think any hopes of new rims are going to have to be shelved for now.  This thing just keeps going cha-ching cha-ching cha-outgoing moola, and doesn't help that the Canadian dollar is pretty weak right now!

I'm not sure if I actually need those fancy new tall valve covers to clear the rockers, but I do like their appearance over any other option and I like knowing there won't be any issues with the rockers.  The downside is that they're 4" taller than the stock covers which leads to other clearance issues.  The 11" brake booster tries to occupy the same space, and even an 8" would require doing some material removal off the covers...something I'd rather avoid.  Not wanting to give up the power brakes, the solution seems to be a hydroboost braking system.  A friend of mine is running a Hydratech setup on his 64 Lemans and likes it, so I think I'll be doing the same.

I've also been having doubts about the adequacy of the 2 row aluminum radiator I have, and what kind of fan (electric or crank mounted) to use.  Either would need a fanshroud added.  Another friend (beautiful '69 Firebird convertible) has a BeCool radiator, and I've been reading good things about those...so looks like I will wind up grabbing a full BeCool Factory Fit assembly for this.

Gauge wise, I'm looking at either Dakota Digital or Speedhut, and really leaning towards the Speedhut option as being better looking although a couple hundred bucks more.  Top image is Dakota, bottom is Speedhut with a personalized graphic added to the face.

So those three systems have added significantly to costs, but I don't think I'll be happy going a cheaper route on such important systems.  I still have to sort out my interior requirements and have a lengthy list of smaller items, the kind that tend to nickel and dime you to death the closer you are to the finish line.

In the meantime I'm trying to unbury the actual car from the mounds of VW parts I bought recently.  Buy low, sell high...need to sell a lot to pay for this build!!!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2023, 09:55:49 PM »
Christmas certainly got in the way of things!  But I did order a few things and progressed work.

The Hydratech brake boost system is on order, apparently takes 90-120 days to ship as each one is made to order.  I went with the Speedhut gauges (lower ones shown in my last post).  While the Dakota Digital seem to have good reviews, their appearance just doesn't do it for me.  Those should ship in another 2 or 3 weeks.

The single biggest piece of the puzzle is still the heads; not sure when they'll be on their way but probably at least another 3 months.

On the bright side, I just picked up my new fuel pump (good for up to 550 HP), fuel pickup with 1/2" tubes and 8-AN fittings along with an inline micron filter from RobbMC.  Purty fancy piece of kit...should keep my thirsty girl sated!

In other news, I've removed pretty much everything forward of the firewall now, and the steering column/interior.  Lots of cleaning, prepping and painting in my immediate future!  Also well along the way in removing the interior from my donor car.  Things are looking pretty good, although not perfect...but certainly useable if I have to wait for restoration pieces.  The front wheels will be coming apart to paint the backing plates and install the Wilwood disc brake upgrades as well.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2023, 09:57:42 PM »
It's a tight fit in the shop right now...my car inventory kind of exploded over the last couple of months; I'm out of safe storage for the ones I don't want exposed to the elements but I needed access to the car on the lift.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2023, 10:12:10 PM »
This is the current "fleet"!

1957 Bug
1973 Bug (x 2)
1975 Bug
1966 Rambler
1970 Cutlass (x 2)
1971 Cutlass
2018 Tundra doing a photo bomb :-D

Yes, the Bugs outnumber the Olds...the universe is back in balance.  For now, at least  :))

The white/primer '73 is at least complete and sort of solid, a good project for someone.  The White '75 isn't as good as it looks (and apart from a salvage title and lack of engine, it's not too bad really).  The maroon '73 is much better than it looks - 29,000 original miles and rust/accident free.  Gotta be a helluva story as to how it wound up looking like it does now...I only know some of it. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 10:15:40 PM by Der Bugmeister »

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2023, 06:39:27 PM »
Took a couple more parts off the Cutlass and currently assembling a pile to take out for sandblasting.  I should be running out of stuff to take off, finish cleaning then do some painting of the interior and engine bay.  Reassembly is much anticipated, but the heads are still probably 3 months away so the engine is even longer.

Sold the Rambler and the white '75 Beetle...need to get rid of a couple more cars yet.

Biggest news was picking up the new gauges from SpeedHut.  I took advantage of the ability to add custom logos to the gauge face.  Now I need to fabricate some sort of mounting plate and modify the plastic bezel for slicker installation.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2023, 06:48:30 PM »
How`s the fake walnut veneer ? usable?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2023, 06:53:53 PM »
How`s the fake walnut veneer ? usable?

It's usable, but I won't be using it.  There was a different woodgrain for each year from 70-72 and they're all available aftermarket but my dash doesn't currently have any wood grain on it.  Normally the lower panel would have woodgrain from the wiper switch on the left to the right side of the glovebox.  I'm going to leave it black thoughout.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2023, 07:28:54 PM »
gauges look sharp.

I never could get the gauge sets mounted up very well. The vision in my head never materialized on the dash. Most times I think mine would have looked better with one of those three hole under dash mounts from JCWhitney.  :lol_hitting:

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2023, 02:36:33 PM »
...and further down the rabbit hole he goes...    :a102:

Firewall and frame getting cleaner but still a ways to go yet.  Everytime I say "nothing else to remove", I find something else to remove.  Replacing the heater core so now's the time to replace the blower motor as well, especially with the fender being off.  More parts trickling in...got some assorted parts from RockAuto and waiting for shipments from Fusick, OPGI, Summit, OldsParts and Inline Tube, but the number of parts I have is starting to outnumber the parts I need.  Of course, everything I do reveals more parts I need!

Mocked up one of the Wilwood disc brake units, looks good but was surprised they don't seem to use any backing plates.  Anybody experienced that before?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2023, 02:43:33 PM »
It sounds like my heads won't be ready until June (if I'm lucky) which means no engine until late summer...and there will still be lots of work to be done once I do get the engine.  With there not being a rush to get everything back together at this point, I'm thinking I'll pull the body off the frame to get easier access for cleaning, painting and plumbing.  Although the car is overall clean and in good shape, there's one area of the underside between the gas tank and rear valance that don't look like they've been touched by previous restorers.  I'm hoping I don't open any new cans of worms by going down that rabbit hole, but the vast majority of MAWs are already done or on the list for this job.

I don't have any plan to strip the car down this far again so it's kinda now or never.

Anything I don't do now, like tubular A arms, bigger sway bars, different springs, are all things I can do at a later date if I decide I want to.

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2023, 08:38:15 PM »
The backing plates are basically used as gravel shields on disc brakes. We regularly removed them on our track day cars for better cooling.  If you want to keep them you can probably use your originals and trim or shim to fit.

Lou Manglass

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2023, 10:47:01 AM »
Looking good, you`ll be glad you pulled that tank and cleaned it all up around there, it would bug you if you didn`t.