Author Topic: Use micrometers often?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Use micrometers often?
« on: March 05, 2022, 04:21:44 PM »
Last year the wife and I decided to inventory our micrometers that are just boxed up as we had no idea how many we had. I dug out the sealed boxes from SoCal and we were surprised when we opened them as everything was boxed up in 2010. All of this gear was in our QC room which we had to maintain even if we didn't use it.

We found outside micrometers from 1" to 13" with multiples of many sizes with many new ones that had never been calibrated. Most were Mitutoyo with Starrett and Polish ones also. Multiple depth mic sets and a couple of inside mics from Starrett and a new Mitutoyo inside tubular mic. I asked if she wanted to sell them and she declined and said let's just hang onto them.

I think that I've only used maybe a 1" or 2" outside mic a couple of times in the last few years as a dial or digital caliper is fine for most of what I do. How often do you use micrometers in your home shop?

Offline slip knot

Re: Use micrometers often?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 06:48:15 PM »
I got a pretty good selection of outside mics. But for inside mics I got a guy at work who loans me his. Mostly checking engine tolerances.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Use micrometers often?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 07:22:59 PM »
I was using a digital caliper switched to the digital mic. It is actually more accurate, the flats work great on round stock.

Works great with the lathe, most think the kungfu lathes, and the dials are chinese, calibration off.

I am very happy to report and have discovered that is false, the .00001 vary some but overall real good.

This last project completed depended on the mic and the lathe calibration to make the things come together.

The 1/2 pins that are yet to be assembled, being an interference fit are ready. Working on some bushing and then it goes together.

1776 ................... what happened!