Author Topic: Old School Tools  (Read 21644 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Old School Tools
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2018, 10:45:40 PM »
Nice save on the axe! I just wouldn't want to have to cut a tree down with it. :o

And I've got a Galileo thermometer, too. ;D
I probably wouldn't either, and back in the day this probably would've taken a back seat to a crosscut saw on many sizeable trees.
It really was a nice save especially the old replacement haft it was crammed onto, they don't make axes like they used to and even more so they don't make handles like they used to.

They still make axes like they used to, but they’re expensive af.
You can buy an axe today with quality comparable to an axe of years past, but in form they are not alike. Profiles of heads and hafts are less refined, and only a few basic head patterns survive today.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2018, 12:04:49 AM »

You can buy an axe today with quality comparable to an axe of years past, but in form they are not alike. Profiles of heads and hafts are less refined, and only a few basic head patterns survive today.

You have be very picky when you go chopping for an axe.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2018, 12:38:30 AM »

You have be very picky when you go chopping for an axe.
That's hilarious.

Btw how about egg beater drills?
This is more of a " falice " drill than an egg beater drill, but it functions the same way.
They're still useful, it's not like you need a modern compact 18v cordless to hang a picture or drill small pilot holes and you never have to worry about a battery going bad.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 12:40:02 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2018, 01:17:04 AM »
I wore out two of those drills years ago.  Those things pushed me through a thousand jobs.

Wish they were sold here.  I'd have two or three in reserve.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2018, 01:24:06 AM »
Hand drills have their place. With really small drills I prefer a hand drill. A bit and brace is still an amazing tool to bore large holes through wood. Hand drills have been used for 100's of years good ones are amazing.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2018, 10:09:36 AM »
Yeah, I've got/had some egg beater drills. Here's a restored Dunlap cranker, Millers Falls #5, and a small DIY grade Dunlap.
I should gather them all together for a current family shot.
I use them alot in my handyman gig. They're alot easier to use than getting out a battery drill or corded drill with an extension.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:20:31 AM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »
Yeah, I've got/had some egg beater drills. Here's a restored Dunlap cranker, Millers Falls #5, and a small DIY grade Dunlap.
I should gather them all together for a current family shot.
I use them alot in my handyman gig. They're alot easier to use than getting out a battery drill or corded drill with an extension.
Those are awesome, especially that Dunlap.
I really need to replace this fiskars, it works fine but it doesn't feel that great in my hand during use.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2018, 04:03:35 PM »
When a tool feels right you have better control and you'll enjoy using it more. Get what feels right.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2018, 08:25:58 PM »
I forgot to mention some other "low tech" and old school leak detectors I've used. (I mainly use soap bubbles now).

Soap bubbles (Nu-Calgon Gold) - Specially made soap solution that would form large stable bubbles and not pop easy. Also was a flourescent dye to be real visible.

Sonic leak finder - worked off of the specific frequency that an escaping gas makes when leaking out of a crack or hole. Used to calibrate it by aiming at an old mechanical clock. It would pick -up the minute workings of the mechanism.

Old GE halogen detector (H-10) - use don cars, blinked and beeped when it detected chlorine

Electronic freon detector (TIF 5600) - Geiger counter type of noise when it sensed chlorine - faster and higher frequency beeps the closer you got to the source of the leak.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 09:52:18 PM »
Old Proto hand drill.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 09:55:07 PM »
Hand drill with and adjustable/fold-able handle? That's a first for me...awesome!

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »
Opps, correct photo.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2018, 10:16:44 PM »
Brazing seems to be falling out of favor, but I picked these up the other day, a Smith Airline set, to go with my airplane tanks.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2018, 11:59:15 PM »
Opps, correct photo.

I've got two of those myself. One's missing the handle.
WW2 military, made for working inside airplane wings.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2018, 12:08:49 AM »
Brazing seems to be falling out of favor...

Yeah, seems like everything is disappearing. Good thing folks like us keep the dream alive!

One of these days, guys, things as we know it are gonna go "poof"! But people are still going to need things fixed. And those of us with the skills - and the old fashioned equipment that still works - will be in demand.

Here's my little oxy/acetylene welding rig. And what good would it be without a rig specific tank wrench!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:12:33 AM by bonneyman »