Author Topic: My town hopper / errand bicycle  (Read 1394 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

My town hopper / errand bicycle
« on: November 17, 2022, 02:44:34 PM »
This huffy Ocala belonged to my grandfather ( mid 90's,  made in China).
The rear Wald dual basket has been on the bike since I ended up with it as a teenager.
I recently added the cheap front bracket, and added the ammo can that my brother was getting rid of.
I chose it over one of my ammo cans since it already had holes drilled in the bottom.

The crappy derailleur wasn't working right,  so I just took that off and converted it to single speed.

It's not a great bicycle , but it gets the job done and didn't cost me anything.
Everything I've added like the aluminum pedals, the nicer seat, and the front basket were all free items saved from being thrown away.
Even the Wald rear basket my maternal grandmother was throwing out and my dad saved it for my grandfather.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline wantedabiggergarage

Re: My town hopper / errand bicycle
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 04:12:11 PM »
I wouldn't ride it by a school with the ammo can on it, LOL.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 05:05:20 PM »
I wouldn't ride it by a school with the ammo can on it, LOL.
I doubt anybody would think of it as anything more than a storage box if they even give a 2nd look, but things like this aren't much of a problem in my small rural town.
It's not like I'm stopping when I go by the school or even riding on the same side of the street anyways.
I'm mostly going to the hardware store post office picking up something from the store and occasionally checking out yard sales.

I may cover up the ammo markings , but I don't think it's all that necessary.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 05:08:47 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 11:03:50 AM »
looks like a solid ride. do you actually need all of that storage area. if i needed to move that much stuff i doubt a bike would be my first choice but then it is at least  10 miles one way with 3 of them gravel for me to get anywere.  :))
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 11:53:49 AM »
looks like a solid ride. do you actually need all of that storage area. if i needed to move that much stuff i doubt a bike would be my first choice but then it is at least  10 miles one way with 3 of them gravel for me to get anywere.  :))
It's not about toting that much stuff ( the ammo can just holds a few tools some gloves and my bike lock ) it's about versatility in the size of what I can bring home.
If I go to the hardware store I may have bought some brass rod or steel plate or something, and for packages at the post office it could be a pair of boots or a large socket set or who knows what.
A few years ago when I had scored my Litton era NB Husky 3/8 set I got to the post office and the box was bigger than expected and I had to do some figuring,  that day I decided I'd never ride my bike to the post office without a way to bring home any package that may be awaiting me.
I also like having the handle bar basket, because there have been times where the wind blew something out of the back, in the front I'll see it if or before that happens.

There are other solutions to the problem and the front basket isn't really just for that purpose but it is an option.

I just don't like riding around with a backpack on or something,  so this is my solution.
Always lookin' to learn