Author Topic: Turn signal/wiper switch  (Read 1535 times)

Offline fatfillup

Turn signal/wiper switch
« on: September 02, 2022, 09:32:44 AM »
On my 17 F250, the wipers would cycle on without the switch being turned on.  Would go into intermittent mode.  For a while, turning them on and off would shut them off.  Well, then they stayed in intermittent mode.  Pulled the fuse and hoped it wouldn't rain :))

Google the problem and it turns out to be a common issue with the turn signal, wiper stalk being the problem.  Youtube had videos on how to replace the switch and it was quite easy.  Between the steering wheel and dash, the column is covered with plastic clam shell enclosures.  3 screws underneath and the clamshell opens up.  The switch is held in by 2 torx screws that are easily accessible, and the switch pulled right out.  New switch plugged right in and worked as it should.

The hardest part was discerning which switch was correct as there are at least 3 options but my parts guy went the extra mile and checked about 3 sources and got the right one.

Was $76 which was a tad more then online but worth it as I got the right one the first time.

Kudos to you tubers who made my problem easy to diagnose and repair and to Ford for having a part that was easy to swap out.

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Turn signal/wiper switch
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 11:24:56 AM »
You can now proudly wear one of these  :clap:
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 03:25:38 PM »
Good job Phil. Definitely pays to do the research and to have the tools for the job.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 03:38:56 PM »
You can now proudly wear one of these  :clap:

YES!!!   :))

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 06:31:16 PM »
Its amazing how much stuff is on utube. I always watch several different videos of the same repair because invariably the first one I watch will leave out a step or two in the process.

Now the bigger question. Did you need any specialty tools to fix it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 04:26:43 AM »
7/32 socket/ratchet, t10 torx driver and flat blade screwdriver.

All my tools are special,,,,,,,,,,,,because they are mine :))

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 07:02:17 PM »
Its amazing how much stuff is on utube. I always watch several different videos of the same repair because invariably the first one I watch will leave out a step or two in the process.

Now the bigger question. Did you need any specialty tools to fix it.

There is lots of good info on YouTube about repairing vehicles and common problems.  I've been able to diagnose and repair a number of problems based on the efforts of YouTubers...  but...

There is also LOTS of bad or incomplete info based on limited knowledge.  I remember when replacing the clutch on my daughter's Saturn Ion and reviewing all the pertinent online info there was one done by a guy in his driveway holding a phone.  The video was a bit entertaining in that he did get the transmission pulled albeit using only a floor jack and common tools but there was a lot left out.  He had no knowledge of the clock spring and would not disconnect the steering rack because of the "clock thingy" which caused much extra effort and anguish.

My wife has a friend who prides herself on repairing many things based on the videos but I always caution her to review multiple "how-to" videos and sites before deciding on a fix.  She has been successful in a lot of repairs and I compliment her on repairing it herself but more than once I've had to intercede in an auto repair that did not work as expected.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 08:52:40 AM »
Wise advice