Author Topic: Wright Socket Set Closeout  (Read 3060 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Wright Socket Set Closeout
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 03:30:43 PM »
That's the pearhead ratchet in my set, but mine is marked Cougar with no COO.  Hopefully quality/longevity of the tools isn't as random as what's put in the sets....
I probably wasn't clear, I was saying you can get a USA stamped version of the ratchet from your set if you want.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2022, 08:02:14 PM »
I can't speak for newer Cougar tools, but those of 25-30 years ago were very good quality.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2022, 12:28:06 PM »
I can't speak for newer Cougar tools, but those of 25-30 years ago were very good quality.
They're made in Taiwan and it seems most Taiwanese hand tools these days are at the very least decent,  but I couldn't say just how good they might be.
Personally I'm buying WRIGHT for their American made tools and would just go to HF if I wanted imports.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2022, 09:37:38 PM »
They're made in Taiwan and it seems most Taiwanese hand tools these days are at the very least decent,  but I couldn't say just how good they might be.
Personally I'm buying WRIGHT for their American made tools and would just go to HF if I wanted imports.

I am sure the Cougar set I bought years ago was a USA made set and I think even says so on the box. I was more anal retentive about buying only domestic made tools then than I am now.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2022, 12:00:19 PM »

I am sure the Cougar set I bought years ago was a USA made set and I think even says so on the box. I was more anal retentive about buying only domestic made tools then than I am now.

You 'n me both (the anal retentive part...), that's what struck me as odd about my Cougar set, only stated USA on the box and not stamped on any of the tools inside (the box+ is now buried in the garage in another larger box not likely to see the light of day until I'm long gone and someone else empties it out...).  After the multiple Stanley and earlier National Hand Tools antics with COO I'm extremely skeptical of non-stamped tools for actual COO despite what a box lid/wrapper might claim.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2022, 10:46:55 AM »
My rule of thumb is, if it isn't stamped USA, it isn't USA made

I am sure there are exceptions though

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2022, 11:12:20 AM »
My Cougar sets that I purchased for my BILs were all stamped US on the sockets and ratchet, while the box had a sticker on the inside indicating that it was made in Taiwan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk