Author Topic: RHFT switches directions  (Read 2291 times)

Offline wantedabiggergarage

RHFT switches directions
« on: November 13, 2022, 09:16:30 AM »
I have an old 1/4" RHFT KD ratchet (like the Craftsman but with the knurled handle), that changes directions.  Never had one of these do this before, never had to take one apart (part of why I have always liked them, more durable then the normal Craftsman ratchet, love the spinner for tight spaces), and since I don't see rebuild kits...........

Any idea why it is doing it?  Something I can take apart and fix with lube, or is it done at this point?
Anything particular to watch out for with these?
Right now that toolbox has two ratchets in it, in its place.  An Oxwall I won years back and something like a Duralast, that was bought due to needing to one handed change directions under a dash, when it started doing it on its own.

Thanks

Re: RHFT switches directions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 09:19:15 PM »
I took it apart tonight, and the guts are good, but the frame has flat spots.  Guess it is time for a Wright 1/4" ratchet.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 07:24:55 AM »
I always clean and lube and put back together and hope for the best

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 09:24:17 AM »
I took it apart tonight, and the guts are good, but the frame has flat spots.  Guess it is time for a Wright 1/4" ratchet.

flat spots? i would have to look but i may have some parts for one of them.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 04:25:51 PM »

flat spots? i would have to look but i may have some parts for one of them.

Yes, the teeth are off of almost a half of the ratchet.  Guess the excuse I have been looking for, for another Wright ratchet.  (only had the 3/8 in a 1/4" body)
I will keep the gear for my Craftsman, home box.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 10:07:22 AM »
Go for it, the 2426 is my favorite 1/4 ratchet.

You can always get another RHFT on Ebay too.
Always lookin' to learn

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 01:24:54 PM »
I looked at ebay first, hoping for a rebuild kit (thinking it was the guts, not the body), and saw the price of the RHFT ratchets used.  Made more sense to buy the new Wright at that point (know what your getting for around the same price).
I kind of miss the knurled 2400 series, as this (what I have been working out of the last two years), is my road/truck box.  Gloved hand/outside work/winter vehicle stuff and knurling, so I may buy that Wright set that has one from Epstein's (waiting to see what they bring back/get from Wright, Jori's most recent video).
Did order the 2426 and if I like it, tempted to order the old stock/for parts/locked due to lack of lubrication from sitting ones on Ebay for $10.   Also ordered the Flex 3/8 in a 1/4" body, as I want to know how stiff or flexing they are. (and some other goodies)
Picked up a Williams 1/4" spinner on Amazon, as the Koken on Epstein's looks thicker. (use the spinner so much with a 1/4", I feel it is a need)

It wouldn't have been a thing if I was completely moved in (all my tools here), instead of in the country where my sibling lives and the socket set that was the backup, was one of those $4.99 green boxes with the one project ratchet from when we were kids.  (not a tool/fix it yourself person)

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 11:43:23 AM »
If you're thinking about that Wright allied set, I'd pass myself.
The knurling on these ratchets is on the smoother side, and the ratchet is on the stiffer side.
Certainly compared to the wright.
If you want knurled, I'd go for a new S•K 40970, or a NOS 40975 TUFF1.
Otherwise if you want Wright, I'd get the 2426 and put some heat shrink tube on it for added grip.
Hockey stick grip tape would do great as well.
Always lookin' to learn

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 08:23:43 PM »
I have a SK 1/4" ratchet, but it is flat, like the old Snapon ratchets.  It and a Huskey 1/2 female drive ratchet, were owned/used by my grandfather, believe back in his shop, in the 20's.  (found out what it was via I think it was  alloy artifacts site, as it wasn't marked SK)

Looked at HJE and the one I looked at, was in the closeout section and zero in stock, so don't matter.  The Snap on knock off from the auto parts store, that I bought when out in the country where my sibling lives, I am thinking I might just put a screwdriver handle on it and use it until I find a bargain I like. (big enough for gloves)

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 12:25:33 PM »
I have a SK 1/4" ratchet, but it is flat, like the old Snapon ratchets.  It and a Huskey 1/2 female drive ratchet, were owned/used by my grandfather, believe back in his shop, in the 20's.  (found out what it was via I think it was  alloy artifacts site, as it wasn't marked SK)

Looked at HJE and the one I looked at, was in the closeout section and zero in stock, so don't matter.  The Snap on knock off from the auto parts store, that I bought when out in the country where my sibling lives, I am thinking I might just put a screwdriver handle on it and use it until I find a bargain I like. (big enough for gloves)
I recently just saved this Stanley from the trash, and you can have it if you want.
Just PM me your adress and it's yours, it's all cleaned lubed and ready to go.

It isTaiwanese,  but seems decent enough.
Not a thumb wheel but it is a QR, and it has a large plastic grip plus a lanyard hole which should be good when it comes to gloves.

I'm not sure if the handle is actually meant to turn like it does , but it seems like an intentional feature to me.
The handle snaps on tight and isn't going to just pop off, but it can still turn if you want to grip it in a different orientation I guess.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 12:30:53 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 08:57:40 PM »
Thanks, and an update......

Received my Wright order from HJE, yesterday.  Received my other stuff today, including the 1/4" ratchet and Williams wheel, and was told by my father. whose needlenose I borrowed (so love to have all my stuff at one house), that he found the sister to that ratchet, and gave the info to mom, who bought it as a Xmas gift.

So I think I am good.

Have some grip tape around, leftover, may if I need to put that on one, but for now, try them as is.
Thanks

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 11:00:16 AM »
I didn't really read your post very well, you made 2 excellent purchases.
I don't have the compact 3/8 version but I do have the standard 1/4 and they're great.
They have relatively solid detent positions so they tend to stay in the position you want them fairly well.
Their flex handle or " breaker bar " is great too.

BTW, I hope I'm not bursting your bubble in case you thought otherwise but the William's spinner handle is Taiwanese.
That's one of the reasons I chose WRIGHT  over William's when building my 1/4dr general purpose tool kit, because the entire socket set would be American made.
Always lookin' to learn

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 03:39:50 PM »
I couldn't find a Wright spinner on HJE, and for my use, didn't make sense to order Snap~on.  Williams was $7 and their numbering system made it clear it was an import.
Road box has to be a blend of cost, quality and loss potential (if I get hit, what happens to the vehicle stuff when I am on the way to the hospital, vehicle break in, etc).

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 08:31:49 PM »
I couldn't find a Wright spinner on HJE, and for my use, didn't make sense to order Snap~on.  Williams was $7 and their numbering system made it clear it was an import.
Road box has to be a blend of cost, quality and loss potential (if I get hit, what happens to the vehicle stuff when I am on the way to the hospital, vehicle break in, etc).

Why not just find what you want used on ebay and save money in the process? I have always been a big fan of buying used when I can. I bet over half of what I have I bought used.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2022, 09:00:03 AM »

Why not just find what you want used on ebay and save money in the process? I have always been a big fan of buying used when I can. I bet over half of what I have I bought used.

I do buy used, however the spinner, the prices I saw on Ebay for a USA made Snap on, was more then the snapon website on average ($25 website).
I would guess my replacement ratchet, will come from ebay, my original did.  Even the Wright ratchet was available two ways,  on there for less.