Author Topic: Came across some old Isuzu Rodeo pics.  (Read 1651 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Came across some old Isuzu Rodeo pics.
« on: December 20, 2022, 11:46:44 AM »
I recently changed over to a new laptop and while transferring files I found an old Rodeo archive of pics. I miss this old 1995 SUV. It was a great reliable vehicle, and it was my daily driver for 23 years. Ultra reliable and a great design. This Rodeo design was also rebadged and sold as the first generation Honda Passport back in the day. What finally killed mine was rust. It survived many West VA. winters, but the salt took its toll.

These pics were from 2003 after I finished a repaint of the eight year old truck in my small townhouse garage. That wasn't a good idea, because the off-gassing of the polyurethane paint permeated the entire house. That said, the single stage green metallic paint job looked damn good. This is what it looked like a few weeks later after I polished the paint and gave the car a good clean up.

I was going to sell it at that point, but it came out so nice, I decided to keep it and drove the darn thing for another 15 years.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Great memories of that robust Rodeo.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 03:40:08 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Came across some old Isuzu Rodeo pics.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 01:08:18 PM »
I remember the Rodeo and how you'd document repairs you did.  I hope all those weren't lost during the previous site crashes.

Nice looking vehicle indeed.  I had a 1994 Pathfinder I bought in 1999 and kept until 2012 putting 180K miles on.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in use.

boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 01:26:29 PM »
I remember the Rodeo and how you'd document repairs you did.  I hope all those weren't lost during the previous site crashes.

Nice looking vehicle indeed.  I had a 1994 Pathfinder I bought in 1999 and kept until 2012 putting 180K miles on.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in use.

The Japanese SUVs of that time were pretty well made. All based on truck frames and the engines were time tested marvels. My Rodeo repairs are documented here on the new GG, but I totally missed these pics when I repopulated the new GG with some old posts. If I hadn't made the effort to look at my computer directories while switching over to a new laptop, I would have never found these.

Offline ron350

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 02:05:55 PM »
 That looks really sharp.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 03:48:55 PM »
That looks really sharp.

Thanks! IIRC I think I had about $400 in paint and materials when all was said and done. Single stage polyurethane enamel was pretty inexpensive back then. 

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 03:53:05 PM »
Picked up alot of tips from you and your work on that truck.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 07:35:46 AM »
23 years, man you don't keep a vehicle very long :))

Now the question is, whats up with the Jag?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 03:48:25 PM »
23 years, man you don't keep a vehicle very long :))

Now the question is, whats up with the Jag?

Yeah -- It was a great car. Wish I could find another.

Jag is sitting "fat and happy" in the climate controlled garage.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 02:40:20 PM »
What engine did that have in it?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 04:15:25 PM »
What engine did that have in it?

3.2L 24 valve V6 -- This was one of the first distributor-less engines on the US market. Engines and drivetrains came from Japan, but the Rodeo was assembled at an Isuzu plant in the state of Indiana. Sadly Isuzu automobiles are no longer represented in the US market. Isuzu only sells commercial mid-size trucks in the US.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 04:19:00 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 05:56:22 AM »
We never had that engine as an option in New Zealand for new Isuzu vehicles of that era and very few in the very large Japanese used import market. The petrol option for NZ new was an in line 4 2.6 litre. Almost all the used Japanese used imports were a four cylinder 3.1 turbo diesel. They were badged as a Wizard, a Rodeo was a pick up in the NZ and Australian market. I owned a 1996 one from about 2001 onwards. It ended up quite modified.