Author Topic: Proto Saltus Wrenches  (Read 15610 times)

Offline oldnslo

Re: Proto Saltus Wrenches
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 04:14:05 PM »
^ + 3,629

;)

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »
Here is my mutt set cobbled together over the years. It runs from 3/8 to 3/4 but somehow I have ended up with three 1/2 wrenches of different brands.
The 3/8 is Proto then in order, Taiwan, Mastercraft, MAC, SnapOn, 2 Craftsman, MAC and S-K Tools.
The metrics are all Truecraft, 10, 11, 13 and have held up very well. I see more SAE Saltus than MM as I have not seen another used MM in the 25 years that I have had the Truecrafts.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 06:25:06 PM »
Those are sweet , DeadNutz.   8)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
Funny, back in the day, saltus wrenches were catalog order only from Sears. Also, I know they never appeared ever in the Craftsman tool catalog in metric, EVER! I know that for an absolute fact. (The catalog part AFAIK) now perhaps they were in the store in Chicago, that I would believe. Around 1988 I visited Chicago and wound up in a Sears store downtown. I was amazed at the tools I saw in that Sears that I had never seen in my local KCMO stores of the time. They had ALL the cool stuff there I assume because it was the corporate location.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 08:26:17 PM »
Gang,

I've got a mixed brand SAE saltus wrench set.  I use them mainly for repair & maintenance of power yard equipment.  I have a wooden tote with saltus wrenches, a couple of screwdrivers, two chain saw multi tools, 2-stroke fuel mix, chain oil, starter fluid, spare spark plugs, air filters, baling wire, and trimmer line.  I used to keep this tote on my pickup all the time when I was in the landscape business.  Now, I just bring it out of the garage and take it to wherever I'm working in my yard.  I think of it as my yard equipment first-aid kit. ;D
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 11:25:22 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention I have two metric Saltus wrenches. A Truecraft 10mm 12 pt and a MAC 15mm 6 pt.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 11:37:26 PM by bonneyman »