Author Topic: Failed NAPA Gold oil filter -  (Read 2240 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Failed NAPA Gold oil filter -
« on: January 01, 2023, 12:42:47 PM »
My daughter’s 05 Highlander was getting close to its 5K oil change, hence I decided to change it for her this morning. The oil change itself is pretty straight forward but since the filter is side mounted on the left side of the engine block, there’s usually some spillage when removing the filter.

I was surprised to find no spillage and thought I was lucky until I looked at the inside of the filter. It was clean and dry. No oil ever circulated through this filter in almost 4.5k miles. I checked the part number of the filter on several online sites and it matches the application. I can only conclude that it’s a manufacturing defect and the bypass valve was stuck open from the onset.

Just to make sure it wasn’t an engine oil system fault i did the oil change, ran the car for a minute and then removed the new filter - it was full of oil and spilled oil in the usual manner when being unscrewed.

Conclusion - NAPA Gold filter is defective. I think that this line is manufactured for NAPA by WIX. Hence my concern -

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 12:44:19 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Failed NAPA Gold oil filter -
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 01:01:13 PM »
Wow, I hope that was a fluke! I commonly choose Wix filters myself.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 01:16:24 PM »
Same thoughts here Herb. WIX is the go-to brand for most of the fleet. The replacement filter is a Purolator because NAPA was out of GOLD filters when I was restocking the shelves a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 04:01:04 PM »

I've been defaulting to Wix alot myself. With the price of filters going way up, I figured might as well spend a little extra and get a better Wix filter. Now I'm worrying a bit.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 04:11:01 PM »
Can you guys find Fleetguard  filters easily ? That’s always been my go to here for a quality filter , Fleetguard is owned by Cummins engines Co

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 04:19:43 PM »
I'm not sure I'd fault the filter just yet. That filter looks like it never got oil into it.

From way back in my auto mechanics days I seem to recall the oil pump/filter housing contained the bypass IIRC anything over a set PSI would be diverted from the filter. I think the filters just have a check valve type thing to keep the filter from draining back into the crankcase.

I have been out of the auto game for a number of years but I cant see an engine manufacturer relying on a 3rd party filter to control oil flow.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 04:34:28 PM »
I'm not sure I'd fault the filter just yet. That filter looks like it never got oil into it.

From way back in my auto mechanics days I seem to recall the oil pump/filter housing contained the bypass IIRC anything over a set PSI would be diverted from the filter. I think the filters just have a check valve type thing to keep the filter from draining back into the crankcase.

I have been out of the auto game for a number of years but I cant see an engine manufacturer relying on a 3rd party filter to control oil flow.
I can see the logic in that reasoning. Just to be sure, after I installed the new filter and ran the car for a minute, I removed the new filter and it was functioning as intended. It was full of oil and spilled oil once I cracked the seal. So the oiling system on the car seems to function as intended with the new filter installed.

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 07:36:00 PM »
Interesting. We use Napa Gold at work quite a bit, can't say we've ever had that problem. We have had some leak at the seam before.

Would be nice to cut it apart and see what exactly is defective on that one.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 08:29:27 PM »
Part of me wonders what happens if you put some oil in there and put it back on the car and run it for a minute? (see if it starts circulating if oil is in there)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 08:38:03 PM »
Part of me wonders what happens if you put some oil in there and put it back on the car and run it for a minute? (see if it starts circulating if oil is in there)

The new filter is on and is working fine. My daughter left this afternoon and she needed the car to get her weekly shopping done because she has to be at work very early tomorrow. I couldn't ask her stick around while her old retired dad performed engine lubrication experiments on her daily driver. I kept the filter and will likely take it apart this week, but in reality unless something is grossly amiss in that housing, I don't really know what I'm looking for once I have it apart.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 08:53:51 PM »
Can you guys find Fleetguard  filters easily ? That’s always been my go to here for a quality filter , Fleetguard is owned by Cummins engines Co

I've seen them on Amazon, but aside from heavy machinery offerings, they sell a line of light and commercial duty truck filters. Another search on their website suggests that they don't offer passenger car filters in the US.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 10:10:49 PM »
If you're going to cut it apart, Ray, you should see the filter membrane wet with oil. If it's bone dry, I'd be taking it back to point of purchase and complain to the manager. It should be easy enough to show.

He should at least provide you a replacement filter or a refund.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 05:40:06 PM »
Interesting...  NAPA Gold filters have always been regarded as a step above the standard fare.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 09:00:55 PM »
It's funny - now that I think about it - that for years I used Fram oil filters. Then there was a whole lot of talk about how bad they were, and the local parts places dropped them as their main line. But I never once had an issue with them.

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 01:19:24 AM »
It's funny - now that I think about it - that for years I used Fram oil filters. Then there was a whole lot of talk about how bad they were, and the local parts places dropped them as their main line. But I never once had an issue with them.

Agree.  For me they were readily available and that meant you didn't put off changing your oil, which was more important (learned that later via others).
Then again a lot of people when I was a kid, had a VW with no oil filter somewhere.

Offline muddy

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 06:45:00 PM »
Not all frams filters are trash. Some of their power sports and other applications are actually really good filters.... For example HD filters....

Also fram got themselves in real big trouble with Cummins. Their filters for the B series engines would disintegrate and clog oil passages.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 03:54:52 PM »
I had always used Fram filters because that what was readily available until I got one that leaked from the crimp.  When I returned it to the parts store he showed me a cut-away of a couple of filters showing that the Fram used thin cardboard to hold the pleats of the filter medium.  I think this is the time when Fram was an Allied-Signal company, it is now owned by Trico.  I always looked for Wix after that.

My choice today is the OEM filter; Motorcraft for the F150, MoPar for the Jeep and Honda for my daughter's Civic.  Even at twice the price of a normal filter it is only once every 5K miles or 6 months.  The two-wheeled Beemers get ones by BMW or Bosch.

There are a number of YouTube videos and sites with filters disassembled showing the differences in the drain-back and bypass along with number of pleats in the filter.   
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 04:49:13 PM »
Not all frams filters are trash. Some of their power sports and other applications are actually really good filters.... For example HD filters....

Also fram got themselves in real big trouble with Cummins. Their filters for the B series engines would disintegrate and clog oil passages.

The ones I was using toward to end of availability were the Fram filters with the black grippy bottom. made it easier with my older band wrenches to get them off. The past couple of years I've been grabbing any NOS filters I see form the estate sales and thrift stores. I keep a cross-reference chart in the truck, and carry it with me into the stores. if I find filters that fit - any brand - I grab 'em, figuring supplies will dry up and I'll be on my own. I was paying a buck or 2 last year - now I'm seeing them listed at $8.50. I've got around 8-10 so I'm set. And two 5 quart jugs of the proper motor oil.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2023, 12:27:18 AM »
Never Fram filters and never Penzoil for me. It's just a personal thing.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2023, 01:18:08 PM »

I feel the same way

Offline muddy

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 07:10:20 PM »
We used Fram and  Pennzoil for years. Now I avoid Fram. But still believe Pennzoil is a good product.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 02:54:28 PM »
We used Fram and  Pennzoil for years. Now I avoid Fram. But still believe Pennzoil is a good product.

Spoken like a true Pennsylvanian :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 09:14:01 PM »

Spoken like a true Pennsylvanian :))
State pride maybe be part of it... Pa Dutchman blood line might also be part of it also.

Sadly I'm pretty sure not of it comes from PA ground anymore.

However Pennzoil did win Project Farms oil shoot out. Take that with a grain of salt though lol

Offline highland512

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2023, 10:32:39 AM »
I am a OEM filter buyer. They usually aren't  that much more money and I know its the correct product.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2023, 03:41:31 PM »
I am a OEM filter buyer. They usually aren't  that much more money and I know its the correct product.

Nothing wrong with that, better still if you ask me.