Author Topic: Failed NAPA Gold oil filter -  (Read 2244 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Failed NAPA Gold oil filter -
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 06:45:00 PM »
It's funny - now that I think about it - that for years I used Fram oil filters. Then there was a whole lot of talk about how bad they were, and the local parts places dropped them as their main line. But I never once had an issue with them.
Not all frams filters are trash. Some of their power sports and other applications are actually really good filters.... For example HD filters....

Also fram got themselves in real big trouble with Cummins. Their filters for the B series engines would disintegrate and clog oil passages.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 03:54:52 PM »
It's funny - now that I think about it - that for years I used Fram oil filters. Then there was a whole lot of talk about how bad they were, and the local parts places dropped them as their main line. But I never once had an issue with them.
I had always used Fram filters because that what was readily available until I got one that leaked from the crimp.  When I returned it to the parts store he showed me a cut-away of a couple of filters showing that the Fram used thin cardboard to hold the pleats of the filter medium.  I think this is the time when Fram was an Allied-Signal company, it is now owned by Trico.  I always looked for Wix after that.

My choice today is the OEM filter; Motorcraft for the F150, MoPar for the Jeep and Honda for my daughter's Civic.  Even at twice the price of a normal filter it is only once every 5K miles or 6 months.  The two-wheeled Beemers get ones by BMW or Bosch.

There are a number of YouTube videos and sites with filters disassembled showing the differences in the drain-back and bypass along with number of pleats in the filter.   
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 04:49:13 PM »
Not all frams filters are trash. Some of their power sports and other applications are actually really good filters.... For example HD filters....

Also fram got themselves in real big trouble with Cummins. Their filters for the B series engines would disintegrate and clog oil passages.

The ones I was using toward to end of availability were the Fram filters with the black grippy bottom. made it easier with my older band wrenches to get them off. The past couple of years I've been grabbing any NOS filters I see form the estate sales and thrift stores. I keep a cross-reference chart in the truck, and carry it with me into the stores. if I find filters that fit - any brand - I grab 'em, figuring supplies will dry up and I'll be on my own. I was paying a buck or 2 last year - now I'm seeing them listed at $8.50. I've got around 8-10 so I'm set. And two 5 quart jugs of the proper motor oil.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2023, 12:27:18 AM »
Never Fram filters and never Penzoil for me. It's just a personal thing.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2023, 01:18:08 PM »

I feel the same way

Offline muddy

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 07:10:20 PM »
We used Fram and  Pennzoil for years. Now I avoid Fram. But still believe Pennzoil is a good product.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 02:54:28 PM »
We used Fram and  Pennzoil for years. Now I avoid Fram. But still believe Pennzoil is a good product.

Spoken like a true Pennsylvanian :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 09:14:01 PM »

Spoken like a true Pennsylvanian :))
State pride maybe be part of it... Pa Dutchman blood line might also be part of it also.

Sadly I'm pretty sure not of it comes from PA ground anymore.

However Pennzoil did win Project Farms oil shoot out. Take that with a grain of salt though lol

Offline highland512

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2023, 10:32:39 AM »
I am a OEM filter buyer. They usually aren't  that much more money and I know its the correct product.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2023, 03:41:31 PM »
I am a OEM filter buyer. They usually aren't  that much more money and I know its the correct product.

Nothing wrong with that, better still if you ask me.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!