Author Topic: Tractor Supply shortage on parts cleaning solvent --  (Read 894 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Tractor Supply shortage on parts cleaning solvent --
« on: January 21, 2023, 05:29:56 PM »
I'm not sure what the problems is, but when we moved over a year ago I cleaned out the parts washer in preparation for the move. I figured once I'm set up in the new garage I could just walk into the local TS and get the standard 5 gal PSC 1000 Parts Cleaner that I've been using for years. It's the most reasonably priced low odor solvent that I've been able to find, and it works very well in the very common imported HF style 20gal washers.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/psc%201000%20parts%20cleaner?

Problem is that the solvent was/isn't available across the country. I've tried to find the stuff for almost a year, but was told that it wasn't available, and they had no idea when/if it would be back in stock. One TS employee told me that people across the country are hoarding it. As to why that is, he couldn't say.

As luck would have it, I did my regular online checks today and found two 5 gal cans available in the area and bought them immediately. I had them shipped to my local TS and picked them up a few hours ago. At $44/5gal can this stuff is a bargain when compared to CRC $133/5gal from nearby Advance Auto, or ZEP $149/5gal at Amazon or NAPA.

Any of you knowledgeable gents have any insight into this? Every time something like this happens, it's often a good indictor that the EPA is getting involved and people are getting nervous.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Tractor Supply shortage on parts cleaning solvent --
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 05:43:04 PM »
My alternative media sites have been forecasting supply shortages of all kinds starting in August 2022. Some of the things they've said would be tough to find are still available, simply because people are running out of money and not buying/travelling much. So depletion is happening slower than predicted. The ports that were backed up with 100 or more ships are now quiet - supplies are not being shipped or demand is way down. Or both.

But prices are going nuts in Tucson. Eggs and turkey are ridiculous, ($8-11 a dozen and $5 a pound) if they're even on the shelf. Canned fruit section is a third as big as it was last summer, with apple sauce going for $6.50 (23 ounce unsweetened)! Ace Hardware is likewise just crazy with the prices they're asking. Had to buy a faucet rebuild kit today. $13 for a handful of O-rings and rubber seals! Only reasonable places are the surplus stores and estate sales. I'm glad I've been putting stuff away for a year and a half but you can't stock everything.

The Mrs. has complained a bit with me squirreling away stuff into every nook and cranny but if I need something I don't want to find out it's NLA.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 05:44:53 PM by bonneyman »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 06:39:24 PM »
I seem to recall one of the refinerys that makes solvents had a fire I believe. I'm betting with the covid supply side issues we're seeing that the refinery is probably waiting on machinery.

I got a quote on a 12in. Fairbanks Morse pump a while back. its 72 weeks out. and the quoted price was good for 2 weeks.  :41: :41:

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 08:19:29 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the solvent, I've not fired up my used tank since I bought it. Sadly, TSC is all out here in the next 80 mile radius. I didnt check beyond that. Wallyworld is higher and out of stock as well.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 08:32:54 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the solvent, I've not fired up my used tank since I bought it. Sadly, TSC is all out here in the next 80 mile radius. I didnt check beyond that. Wallyworld is higher and out of stock as well.

Yes, it's good solvent and the price is fantastic. That said, I just checked the TSC website and I think I bought the last two cans in my region. My advice is to just keep checking every week. I've been trying to get these things for quite some time and finally struck gold this morning.

The 20gal washers will take about 8 - 10 gallons to start working efficiently.

Offline walrus

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 05:50:30 AM »
. its 72 weeks out. and the quoted price was good for 2 weeks.  :41: :41:

You are lucky the quoted price lasted that long. They won't even do that on wire. You still can't get common breakers at times. My supply house has stuff backordered from 2020.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 10:19:44 AM »
I don't want to take this political and am trying not to, but that Ukraine war has bearing on this shortage I would think. With basf in Germany making all kinds of stuff out of natural gas it gets from Russia proper and that supply getting essentially shut off, this puts a kink in the world supply of naptha and other chemical derivatives of natural gas.
It is looking like the Germans are dismantling their chemical plants over there and shipping the pieces that can be shipped to Louisiana to be set up on this side of the ocean. This will take some time but when complete we will have a shorter supply chain and less disruption as long as the hurricanes don't have an impact.
Either way, glad you were able to get some.
Rich

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 11:19:11 AM »
Interesting take on the situation. The Germans are in real trouble - energy wise. Not sure if they/we can build infrastructure fast enough to supply US NG to make up for the shortages they are experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 02:19:53 PM by goodfellow »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 11:40:41 AM »
I heard that BASF in Germany has - or is in the process of - shutting down it's main facility - and moving it to China! Energy costs are the official reason. They make like 40,000 different chemicals for industrial use. Which means even MORE of the worlds supply of base chemicals and products will be under the control of the CCP.

Plus lots of other European industries are cutting production or closing up entirely. Apparently one of the plants involved has been in continuous operation since the 1960's - they've never been shut down. And the word is if they are shut off then it's permanent - the plant cannot be restarted later even if gas prices come down.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 02:12:26 PM »
I heard that BASF in Germany has - or is in the process of - shutting down it's main facility - and moving it to China! Energy costs are the official reason. They make like 40,000 different chemicals for industrial use. Which means even MORE of the worlds supply of base chemicals and products will be under the control of the CCP.

Plus lots of other European industries are cutting production or closing up entirely. Apparently one of the plants involved has been in continuous operation since the 1960's - they've never been shut down. And the word is if they are shut off then it's permanent - the plant cannot be restarted later even if gas prices come down.

Hadn't heard or read of a move to china. With the way china is with business and intellectual property in general I wouldn't think that would be a very prudent way to move forward. But who knows. Worse decisions have been made. Just look at Apple and the factory over there. Kinda hard to sell iphones if you cant get any made and shipped over here because they shut the whole thing down.
Rich

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 03:34:55 PM »
With my shop being detached from the house I always just used K1 in my parts washer. It smells to high heaven, but it's safer than gasoline and does a fair job of cleaning parts and is always readily available.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline highland512

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2023, 02:49:47 PM »
That's odd, my local TSC had 3 5 gal cans of this last weekend. I did notice they changed the packaging, new supplier? Guess I should have bought one.

BASF might be moving some stuff to china but if you do some research you will find the $ amount for BASF plant expansions in in South Louisiana is in the 10's of billions. China dosnt have the energy reserves of the US to operate large scale refining. If the world is running low on the supply basic chemicals it's due to a problem here. The problem here like slip knot mentioned, is the lead time on items needed for mechanical systems/processes has been getting worse for the last year and a half. Eaton VFD's are 70+weeks, ductile iron pipe is 50+ weeks, electric motors are 50+ weeks, hell even rebar is at 10 weeks.