Author Topic: WILDE Screwdriver closeout at HJE  (Read 1197 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

WILDE Screwdriver closeout at HJE
« on: January 23, 2023, 09:37:06 PM »
The 7pc set was $89 from WILDE before they were discontinued, that's without the 2 stubbies.

You can have this 9pc set for $43 + shipping, but the great thing is that HJE has them grouped as a set of individual items so you can pass on any you don't want.
I didn't need the largest flat blade so I skipped that one, now that I think about it though I don't really need that longer 1/4" either and should have passed on it as well.

I don't need any more screwdrivers but I wanted to give these tri-lobe handles a try.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 10:12:34 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: WILDE Screwdriver closeout at HJE
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 10:09:47 PM »
The stubby handles are interesting, and I can't wait to try them out.

I knew WILDE was at least making the handles on the TEKTON drivers ( was told seperate manufacturers for blades and handles) assuming P-R for the shanks,  but after they closed the Tekton drivers are still being made so it couldn't have been P-R.
I was told WILDE actually makes the blades too, and based on what I see with these I'm inclined to believe it unless there's another screwdriver manufacturer I'm not aware of who could be responsible.
Wilde rebrands a set of Grace screwdrivers so it could be them but these don't look like Grace driver blades so who knows.
The finish on my TEKTONS resists rust better than the Grace drivers too, so I really don't think Grace is responsible.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 10:16:55 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 08:02:59 AM »
Thinking you will like the handles

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 11:00:36 AM »
I'm certainly going to give them a good try, if I don't like the handles I'll give these to somebody who will.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 08:45:49 AM »
Walks into thread, realizing I don't need another screwdriver set (just recently bought the Tekkon's while the others are still at the old place), goes to HJE site and thankfully it has crashed.

Now I just need you all to finish buying these so they are gone when I get off work.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 10:09:03 AM »
Crashed ?
Still works fine for me.

Btw which Tekton drivers did you get, the red hard handles or those funky ones ?
I love my red hard handle Tekton drivers.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 09:00:40 AM »
The red handles.  Feel similar to my Williams black handle drivers.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 10:18:24 AM »
The red handles.  Feel similar to my Williams black handle drivers.
I've been very happy with mine.
Eventually I want to try a Williams set too though.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 02:27:10 PM »
Surprisingly they arrived today, that's 3 days and I didn't even know they had been shipped.

So far on first impressions I'm impressed by the quality,  but am not sure how I feel about the ergonomics.
I do like how the butt of the handle is clearly marked, and marked in a necess so it's not going to wear off.

They provide a good secure grip for high torque situations and I don't mind the rubberized grips which I'm not generally into, but they don't seem well suited for more finesse use.

Curiously I think they might have somehow accidentally made the #2 with a bit driver handle or something because the rear comes off and it's hollow inside.

I'm really not worried about this at all.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 03:52:35 PM »
that would actually be a good feature. remove a couple screws, pop them in the handle and retrieve them reassembly. also handy for storing a couple extra screws when working on outlets, switches plates and the like when wiring.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 04:28:47 PM »
that would actually be a good feature. remove a couple screws, pop them in the handle and retrieve them reassembly. also handy for storing a couple extra screws when working on outlets, switches plates and the like when wiring.
Good point.
I just put a little super lube on it so it'll turn like a spinning cap.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 03:12:36 PM »
Not sure I'd like the triangle shaped handles. Would have to use them for a bit. My preferred handle is the Snap-On hard handle (not the comfort grip version) also the old  MAC handles  both wood and plastic.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 03:23:35 PM »
Not sure I'd like the triangle shaped handles. Would have to use them for a bit. My preferred handle is the Snap-On hard handle (not the comfort grip version) also the old  MAC handles  both wood and plastic.

Agreed, only the Williams branded Snap-on knock offs for me. Best of worlds in my opinion, modest price, true copy of the old SO hard handle plus USA made. Those are my current go to drivers for new.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 03:40:20 PM »

They seem to be great when you need to put a lot of torque on a screw, but so far I'm not sure they're the best handle shape for general use.
There's some good and bad with the handle shape.

I definitely want to try the William's drivers eventually, I really like my Wilde made Tekton hard handles which are similar so I suspect I would probably like them.

Always lookin' to learn