Author Topic: Ball joint presses, specifically Astro Pnuematic 7865  (Read 889 times)

Offline wantedabiggergarage

Ball joint presses, specifically Astro Pnuematic 7865
« on: January 31, 2023, 11:19:21 AM »
On my wanted list has been a ball joint press, for years.  I don't have much wrenching time anymore and if a serious need would arise for a bit longer, still have access to the shop I worked at (owner is 74), where the OTC they have might be older then me.
I had wanted an OTC but when I was ready to buy, they had offshored them.  Now, from what I saw last night, it appears they brought them back.
The tool was invaluable the last time I had to replace a shackle mount, as the bolt had rusted to the bushing metal insert.  That seems more like something I would do at home, rather then the shop.

So Sunday, I visited a damaged freight store and found an Astro Pnuematic 7865 for $43 after tax.  I thought the OTC was now imported and based on the two uses I can see in the next ten years, this was an ok purchase.  My only real experiences with any has been with Snap on's and OTC, where they were used in a pro shop.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Ball joint presses, specifically Astro Pnuematic 7865
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 01:22:13 PM »
I have used the OTC several times, but like you I refused to pay the premium price for an imported tool. For the home shop I purchased the HF press along with their HF Master Ball Joint Adaptor kit. Surprisingly they have performed very well. The Astro Pneumatic version is quite a step above the standard HF press, and at $43 you got a deal.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 06:09:17 PM by goodfellow »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 04:59:54 PM »
Have you considered your local auto parts store that has free rentals for these occasional jobs?

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 12:29:13 AM »
With my schedule now, sometimes being seven days a week, and my biannual weekend (Christmas eve and Christmas day, and Saturday before Easter and Easter Sunday), there are times I get interrupted in a project and have to come back.
My nearest parts store now, has so much employee turnover, I wouldn't trust them to get the billing correct on a tool rental.
If I run into problems, I would rather own it then deal with the rental, especially with people I don't know.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 07:31:44 AM »
Keep the pressure screw lubed and you should be fine.  I see too many pressure screws with distorted threads from not being lubed